LymeNet Europe

information and discussion about Lyme disease
Home Information Lyme news Forum  

Dr. Ryser of Kansas City being sued

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.

Dr. Ryser of Kansas City being sued

Postby hiker53 » Thu 28 May 2009 0:02

Dr. Ryser of Kansas City is being sued. Apparently she overdiagnosed a woman who simply had hyperthyroidism and put her on multuple medications for many problems including lyme.

As you may remember, I had went to see her and found her to be very unsavory and refused to sign on with her I.V. protocol where you had to move to KC and go to her clinic. Most of her tests were not covered by insurance and my neurologist cannot even figure out the neuro tests. I had to threaten with a lawyer to get my test results before my phone consult (which was 3 months after my trip to see her). She cancelled my phone consult when I threatened with a lawyer.

She just held a conference that Dr. Fry spoke at.

Hiker53
hiker53

Re: Dr. Ryser of Kansas City being sued

Postby Claudia » Thu 28 May 2009 15:24

Patient Says Doctor & Clinic Went Wild Misdiagnosing Patients With Lyme Disease
Wednesday, May 27, 2009, INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (CN)

Anthony claims that on Feb. 20, 2008, HKAKC employees drew more than 40 vials of blood from her. She says that though "Dr. Ryser did not perform a physical examination or touch (her)," Ryser diagnosed her as having "21 separate disorders, including Lymes disease (sic), hypercoagulation, disease of the central nervous system, beta strep, chronic bronchitis, chronic sinusitis, leucopenia, chronic fatigue syndrome, systemic candidiasis, insomnia, corticoadrenal insufficiency, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, Raynaud's syndrome, hyperinsulemia, fibromyalgia, urinary tract infection, proteinuria, tremors, general symptoms of memory loss, and nutritional deficiency ... whooping cough, elevated triglycerides, parvovirus, iodine deficiency, vitamin B deficiency, heavy metal and bromide toxicity, Bell's palsy, and other diseases and disorders."

Anthony claims the treatment and drugs the Rysers sold her caused her to suffer "increased pain, anxiety, fatigue, sickness and a change of mental status". She said she went to an emergency room on Jan. 1, 2009, and was told she suffered from hyperthyroidism, not Lyme disease. She says ER doctors told her to stop taking all the drugs the Rysers had sold and prescribed, and "informed her that she did not have Lyme disease and had undergone months of unnecessary treatment."

She demands punitive damages for fraud, medical negligence, fraudulent misrepresentation and concealment, violation of the Missouri Medical Merchandise Practices Act.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/05/2 ... isease.htm

Claudia

Postby Claudia » Thu 28 May 2009 15:27

Topic:carol ann ryser in KS city MO? anyone know if she is good?
Posted 7/10/2008 on Healingwell.com's Lyme disease forum by "runningiri"

I have been a patient of Dr. Ryser since Nov. 2005. I had been ill since 1997. She was the first doctor to validate my illness, diagnose me, and provide a treatment that I greatly benefited from. Her protocol put me back into the game of life again but.......I am still not totally well. I keep in touch with everyone that I went through treatment with and none of them are well either. She is a brilliant doctor and cares very much but I warn you to not fall too quickly for what she has to offer. In all honesty, if you do IV's with her it is way more than $2,000 per week. For me the IV's were around $1,100 per day which is about $7,000 per week or $28,000 per month. I was there for 4 months and the charges were well over $100,000!!!! I'm not kidding!!!!!

http://www.healingwell.com/community/de ... &m=1126721

note: I added the USD signs ($) to the monetary amounts in the original post quoted.
Claudia

Postby rlstanley » Thu 28 May 2009 17:14

Health Centers of America-Kansas City (HCAKC)is also where 2 Kansas City couples were diagnosed with Lyme using Bowen Labs and won verdicts totaling $30 million dollars (US) against Bowen.
See thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2594

snippet:

....Keith Klausner went to Health Centers of America-Kansas City, which diagnosed him with Lyme disease. HCAKC recommended the Bowen Q-RIBb test and, in return for a $250 “donation” for the test, sent his blood to Bowen. The lab reported that it had identified the organism that causes the disease in his blood....

HCAKC, while originally a defendant in the suits, was later dismissed.

Health Centers of America-Kansas City is the site for HCAKC.

Health Centers of America is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of chronic illnesses. Under the direction of our founder, Dr. Carol Ann Ryser MD, a team of multi-disciplined physicians, nurses and healthcare workers use an integrated approach of medicine to restore health and quality of life....

rlstanley

Postby Claudia » Thu 28 May 2009 19:18

I can't help but draw parallels and see some similarities between this and what's going on with the "mystery bug(s)" and Fry Labs charging $300 a pop for a photograph of a blood smear (a 'positive' result having no known diagnosis/identification and therefore no known treatment), their new foundation's donation drive, and Envita clinic in Scottsdale, AZ, marketing to Lyme patients and those hypothetical Lyme-autism patients with purely theoretical, dubious "integrative" alternative treatments for conditions of hypothetical significance (note biofilms) and Dr. Fry's alleged referral of patients to this clinic (per kelmo on LNusa) wanting IV.

This is a current thread from Healingwell.com's Lyme disease forum that caught my attention:

Topic: envita decision
http://www.healingwell.com/community/de ... &m=1484354

SNIPS from a few posts:

I think I have decided to give Envita a try they seem to have the right idea with getting through the biofilms

hello. I am in AZ and have considered Envita. Mostly because of the protocol of things they
treat with that are supplemental to Abx like ozone Blood Treamtents, Collidial Silver and Peroxide, EDTA etc. Those that they use to flush your blood and also prepare them for abx to work much better and fast.

THe lyme treatment is only 4-6 weeks and about ($)3800.00 a week
I dont know why Marie stayed for 3 months but I will not be! If you call Envita they will give you all that info they are very helpful! Oh yeah and you are required to get a port!!They do that in arizona

Envita clinic: http://www.envita.com/sections/disease/lyme/
Claudia

Postby rlstanley » Fri 31 Dec 2010 23:53

http://www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=646640

Verdicts & Settlements November 7, 2010: KC doctor, clinic settle over treatments
by Alyson E. Raletz
Dolan Media Newswires

ST. LOUIS, MO -- A lawsuit against a Kansas City physician and clinic for allegedly treating patients for diseases they didn’t have settled confidentially before a trial was to begin in Independence.

The case is one of a handful of lawsuits with similar false diagnosis claims against Dr. Carol Ann Ryser and the Health Centers of America-Kansas City, known for providing alternative and natural wellness treatments.

A Lee’s Summit law firm represents several different sets of plaintiffs, who all accuse Ryser and clinic staff of intentionally treating them for afflictions they don’t have to profit from the sales of in-house supplements and other treatments.

“When people are getting this treatment, they feel worse than they did before,” plaintiffs’ attorney Lance Baughman of Wright, Green & Baughman, said of the allegations in all of the suits.

The case of a Liberty woman was set to go to trial Oct. 18 before Jackson County Circuit Judge Jack Grate, but court records show Judge Grate approved a settlement agreement Oct. 12.

Candace Anthony claimed Ryser diagnosed her with 21 separate disorders, including Lyme disease, in February 2008 after Anthony sought treatment for abdominal and chest pain. She alleged that Ryser prescribed her antibiotics, alternative substances and other medicines. During a January 2009 emergency room visit for shortness of breath and chest pain, physicians told her she suffered from hyperthyroidism — not Lyme disease — “and had undergone months of unnecessary treatment,” according to claims in her May 2009 petition.

Anthony claimed she had to undergo hospitalization, surgery and other treatment as a result of Ryser’s care and that she continues to suffer from a related injury. Her husband, Harold Anthony, is a co-plaintiff and had submitted a loss of consortium claim.

Ryser and the clinic also faced claims of fraudulent misrepresentation, negligence, medical negligence and violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act. The physician’s husband and clinic chief executive officer, Michael Ryser, also is a defendant facing similar claims.

Terms of the settlement agreement were confidential.

“The matter was resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties,” Baughman said. He declined to comment further on the resolution of the Anthony case.

Defense attorney Gregory Forney, of Shaffer Lombardo Shurin in Kansas City, and the clinic’s general counsel, Jacques Simon in New York, didn’t return phone messages inquiring about the settlement. Simon denied the general allegations in litigation from Baughman’s firm in a previous interview. All three defendants denied the allegations in the Anthony case, according to court records.

A consolidated case in May 2009 netted a nearly $24 million judgment in Jackson County for two patients and their spouses who sued a Florida-based laboratory that the Kansas City clinic used, Bowen Research & Training Institute, for false test results (David Lampton et ux. v. Bowen and Keith Klausner et ux. v. Bowen, 0516-CV28508). In that case, the plaintiffs and their wives settled claims with the clinic, Ryser and other physicians, whose insurance companies paid a total of at least $2 million, according to court records.

Two women in September filed personal injury lawsuits similar to Anthony’s in Jackson County Circuit Court. Katey Meyer and Lisa Schweitzer, along with their husbands, claim their medical conditions worsened as a result of Ryser’s treatment over three to four years (Meyer et al. v. Ryser et al., 1016-CV26777, and Schweitzer et al. v. Ryser et al., 1016-CV27149.)

Other similar cases pending in Jackson County Circuit Court from the firm’s clients include Dale Ballou v. Health Centers of America et al., 0916-CV23928, and Crystal Hotchkiss et al. v. Carol Ann Ryser et al., 0916-CV23924.
rlstanley

Postby Bagge » Sat 3 Dec 2011 6:35

You can search the Missouri court system's casenet for "All Participating Courts" using last name "Ryser" for more history on these doctors. Cases go back to the 80's for a variety of issues.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases ... hType=name

The Missouri Department of Professional Regulation website can be used to search for physicians. This physician shows as having a case currently pending before the Administrative Hearing Commission.

https://renew.pr.mo.gov/licensee-search ... ey=1227777
Bagge

Postby Bagge » Sat 29 Sep 2012 16:28

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/09/06/50001.htm
{Paragraphs have been re-formatted for ease of reading}

Courthouse News Service

'Bugs in the Biofilm'

Thursday, September 06, 2012 Last Update: 9:46 AM PT

By Joe Harris

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (CN)
- A doctor bilked parents for thousands of dollars by claiming that "'bugs' lay dormant in [their child's] body, trapped in her 'biofilm,' and would spring out from time to time," the family claims in court.

The Sutherland family sued Dr. Carol Ann Ryser and Health Centers of America - Kansas City, in Jackson County Court. In fact, the Sutherlands say, Ryser eventually diagnosed the whole family with the same diseases, in virtually identical words, including bugs in their biofilm, and prescribed long lists of unnecessary, and expensive, treatments for all of them.

The parents, Richard and Caroline Sutherland, say it all began when they took their daughter Megan, then 16, to Ryser in July 2008. According to the complaint: "Ryser told the Sutherland family that they needed to move to the Kansas City area for long-term treatment. "Dr. Ryser did not perform an adequate or comprehensive physical exam on Megan Sutherland during her initial visit, yet diagnosed her with multiple health problems. Ryser rarely touched Megan at all during years of treatments.

"Dr. Ryser diagnosed Megan Sutherland during her initial visit with 'Lymes disease' [sic], 'Coagulation-Hyper,' 'Disease of CNS' and 16 other conditions.
"Dr. Ryser ordered as many as forty vials of blood drawn from Megan Sutherland for testing, and charged plaintiffs for the testing. "Dr. Ryser and HCAKC sent the vials of blood to various labs for both mainstream and unusual testing. "Prior to getting lab results back, Dr. Ryser told Megan Sutherland and her parents that the needed extensive I.V. drug treatment and other treatment to be completed at HCAKC for a cost of thousands of dollars per month.

"Dr. Ryser directed Megan Sutherland to have daily intravenous infusions of antibiotics and other fluids for hours at a time at HKAKC. These infusions were of drugs such as Rocephin, Primaxin, Vancomycin, Clindamycin, and Heparin, and alternative substances Ryser refers to as 'antioxidants.'

"Dr. Ryser directed Megan Sutherland to take as many as fifty pills, medications, and supplements a day in addition to the intravenous treatments. Many of these drugs were narcotics.

"Dr. Ryser sold supplements and medication directly to plaintiffs, as well as prescribing medications to be purchased elsewhere.

"The treatments made Megan Sutherland sick. "Megan Sutherland did not have any condition that would medically justify the treatment as ordered and carried out by Dr. Ryser and HCAKC. "During her treatment, Ryser informed the Sutherlands that Megan was additionally infected with 'bugs' such as organisms babesia, bartonella, borrelia burgdoferi, and rickettsia. "Ryser claimed that the 'bugs' lay dormant in Megan's body trapped in her 'biofilm' and would spring out from time to time. "Diagnosing additional 'bugs' allowed Ryser to continue her treatment for years, and to continue charging money for it."

The family claims that the defendants continued "treating" Megan until 2012, and that "Ryser claims by her own dated signature that she treated Megan on October 18, 2012, a date in the future which has not occurred as of the date of filing of this petition." But that's not all, the family says: "During the treatment of Megan Sutherland, Ryser informed the entire Sutherland family that they too had likely caught the same 'bugs,' diseases, and conditions as Megan and that each of them would need to be seen by Ryser at HCAKC."

Accepting Ryser's diagnoses, the family says, they let Ryser and HKAKC begin treating Caroline, then 13, and Katelyn, then 19, in January 2009. Connie, the mother, became the defendants' patient in April 2009, and Richard, the father, in June 2009, according to the complaint.

The complaint describes the diagnoses and treatments for the whole family in virtually identical words as those used for the first patient, Megan - including bugs in their biofilms.

"During the time that Dr. Ryser and HCAKC were treating Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland and their three daughters and charging them thousands of dollars for these services, medications, and supplements, Dr. Ryser and her husband Michael Ryser, an HCAKC employee, were reporting income of as much as $3.3 million a year," the complaint states. "This income came largely from misdiagnosing and treating the same pet conditions."

Finally, according to the complaint: "Dr. Ryser informed Connie Sutherland that her husband Richard Sutherland may have contracted Lyme disease through sexual transmission, and that she also could have passed it to her children Katelyn, Megan and Caroline Sutherland while in the womb."

The Sutherlands seek actual damages and punitive damages for medical negligence, fraudulent misrepresentation and concealment, violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, loss of consortium and medical expenses.

They are represented by Lance Baughman, with Wright, Green & Baughman, of Lee's Summit, Mo

Bagge

Return to Lyme Café