A WARNING ON FLUOROQUINOLONES - READ

Topics with scientific, medical or general health related information and discussion that is not specifically related to Lyme disease.
intrepid

A WARNING ON FLUOROQUINOLONES - READ

Post by intrepid » Thu 27 Mar 2014 15:38

SUMMARY- This is a warning to all members of this forum regarding the use of fluoroquinolones. This class of drugs is presently being prescribed casually by the medical community as a front line antibiotic, and it's highly dangerous, having the potential to cause extremely serious long term, or permanent injury. People, this stuff will mess you up extremely badly. Let me demonstrate with a comparison: I would rather have AIDS or Leprosy than being "Floxed." No doubt. Being floxed is easily 5x worse, if you have a severe case. Combine it with Lyme/Bartonella, and you have a prescription for the most heinous, painful death imaginable. This information should be considered very carefully and implemented into your daily practice. The ideas here come from my personal research, and also from personal experience. Do not trust doctors to act in your best interest in this regard. They have conflicts of interest when considering fluoroquinolones. I do not know about the relationships between doctors and Big Pharma in Europe, but in the USA, it's quite a questionable partnership.

Here's how the scenario will unfold: Your doctor will innocently tell you that he's prescribing you Cipro as a prophylactic to avoid infection after a minor surgical procedure. Or, for one of many other reasons. Or, Cipro (ciprofloxacin) for Lyme. Or, Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Lyme or Bartonella. These doctors are prescribing these fluoroquinolones as "First Line" meds, like Rx candy. Casually. This is a big mistake. The problem is, if you have even a small adverse effect during Rx #1, and the drug is ever represcribed, then SHAZAM!!! You just put yourself in a wheelchair, maybe for life, and destroyed your body, maybe for life. This is not an exaggeration. Some people take one pill and destroy their bodies permanently.

My story? My LLMD put me on Levaquin for Bartonella for 47 days. I told him that I started to feel tendon pain in my adductor tendons in both legs, so I stopped taking the drug immediately. Later, when the Bartonella reemerged, he put me back on the drug. Four pills later, I began experiencing the most heinous, violent, vicious, painful, ugly and destructive constellation of symptoms you can imagine. You think Lyme/Bartonella is bad? Those two are a piece of cake compared to being floxed! If being floxed is a 10 on a scale of 1-10, having both Lyme/Bart. together is a "2." A TWO! That's T-W-O. Floxing is 5x worse than Lyme/Bart together. And, I've got the worst case of Lyme/Bart my LLMD has ever seen. What I am telling you is that my manageable disease just became an unmanageable monster in four pills. It only takes ONE pill for many.

FLUOROQUINOLONES = POTENTIAL VICIOUS, PAINFUL, DEATH

Do a Wikipedia search for "Fluoroquinolones" to find out all the brand names/generic names. You won't find any info on the dangers there. It's a coverup.

Oh, so you grandstanders, pontificators, professional posters, etc., want to cast aspersions on my thesis? Go ahead. How many of you have been in my shoes? Got any experience with being severely floxed?

Before you start casting, read this book, it will save your life:

http://www.myquinstory.info/wp-content/ ... REV_11.pdf

The website, http://www.myquinstory.info is a decent one. Some good info there.

But, the pdf book contains the real revealing information.

I implore you, download the book, and even to just give it a cursory scan.

It will save your life.

Email it to your friends and family.

It will save their lives, too.

Tell them to do the same.

Let the life saving proliferate.

Still think I'm exaggerating? Read the book. All the information in the book is backed up by solid medical research references.

Here's a chart from it:
Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.47.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.47.39 AM.png (93.57 KiB) Viewed 14656 times
There is exactly one post on LNE warning of fluoroquinolone toxicity. When I previously mentioned this in the "Feedback" section, one of your more prolific posters concluded that it was because we're probably just not succumbing to fluoroquinolone toxicity. Obviously not a scientist. A scientist draws conclusions on data gathered and examined; we need to ignore hasty conclusions and look at the real hard data. That data suggests (and I am a living example) that fluoroquinolone toxicity is a real danger, so why would you take the risk? Why risk it? There are alternatives.

Also, check out Amazon.com, the DVD: "Certain Adverse Events" It's a protest documentary video about being floxed. Now, if this weren't a national problem, why are consumer groups making protest documentaries? Hmmm?

All my best,

intrepid
Last edited by intrepid on Thu 27 Mar 2014 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

RitaA

Re: A WARNING ON FLUOROQUINOLONES - READ

Post by RitaA » Thu 27 Mar 2014 15:59

Thanks for creating this thread and posting all of this valuable information.
intrepid wrote: There is exactly one post on LNE warning of fluoroquinolone toxicity. When I previously mentioned this in the "Feedback" section, one of your more prolific posters concluded that it was because we're probably just not succumbing to fluoroquinolone toxicity. Obviously not a scientist. A scientist draws conclusions on data gathered and examined; we need to ignore hasty conclusions and look at the real hard data. That data suggests (and I am a living example) that fluoroquinolone toxicity is a real danger, so why would you take the risk? Why risk it? There are alternatives.
Just for the record, here is what I wrote in the thread/post you are referring to:
RitaA wrote: You're right about there being very little (if anything) about fluoroquinolone toxicity being posted on this forum. Perhaps when you're feeling up to it, that's something you could tackle yourself -- and especially given your own very valuable personal experiences. In the meantime, I did a tiny bit of research on behalf of a fellow Canadian and posted the results on the Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation's website for anyone who is even mildly curious:

http://canlymec.ipower.com/forum/viewto ... 3db00f6740

I’m guessing that folks here either haven’t been “floxed” as part of their treatment or they mistook one or more side effects for worsening Lyme disease and/or co-infections. There are times when it is virtually impossible to distinguish between a disease and the side effects from treatment for that illness – and this isn’t unique to tick-borne diseases by any means.
I have never claimed to be a scientist, although I am quite familiar with the concepts of logic and data because I studied computer science and worked in information technology. Your referring to only half of what I posted is the equivalent to ignoring half of an equation.

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 27 Mar 2014 16:31

There have been topics about the adverse effects and other problems of fluoroquinolones, and also about the related quinolones, on this board.

Specifically about fluoroquinolones are the following topics:

In vitro resistance of Bartonella sp to fluoroquinolones (Apr 2008)
FDA Fluoroquinolone Warning (Jul 2008)
Fluoroquinolones linked to detached retina (Apr 2012)

Search query on quinolones:

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/sear ... =quinolone*

This for example leads to this quote from former ILADS-member Jamie Deckoff-Jones:
Jamie Deckoff-Jones wrote:There is obviously a place for antibiotics in this patient population, but the fact that some respond doesn't justify the huge iatrogenic injuries that are occurring. I've heard of quite a few gall bladders lost to Rocephin and a couple of people who still have their gall bladders, but have chronic right upper quadrant pain. And untold losses to the Bartonella witch hunt. People permanently harmed by quinolones and aminoglycosides.

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 27 Mar 2014 16:35

Source and more info: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm365050.htm
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA requires label changes to warn of risk for possibly permanent nerve damage from antibacterial fluoroquinolone drugs taken by mouth or by injection

Safety Announcement

[8-15-2013] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has required the drug labels and Medication Guides for all fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs be updated to better describe the serious side effect of peripheral neuropathy. This serious nerve damage potentially caused by fluoroquinolones (see Table for a list) may occur soon after these drugs are taken and may be permanent.

The risk of peripheral neuropathy occurs only with fluoroquinolones that are taken by mouth or by injection. Approved fluoroquinolone drugs include levofloxacin (Levaquin), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), moxifloxacin (Avelox), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), and gemifloxacin (Factive). The topical formulations of fluoroquinolones, applied to the ears or eyes, are not known to be associated with this risk.

If a patient develops symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, the fluoroquinolone should be stopped, and the patient should be switched to another, non-fluoroquinolone antibacterial drug, unless the benefit of continued treatment with a fluoroquinolone outweighs the risk. Peripheral neuropathy is a nerve disorder occurring in the arms or legs. Symptoms include pain, burning, tingling, numbness, weakness, or a change in sensation to light touch, pain or temperature, or the sense of body position. It can occur at any time during treatment with fluoroquinolones and can last for months to years after the drug is stopped or be permanent. Patients using fluoroquinolones who develop any symptoms of peripheral neuropathy should tell their health care professionals right away.

FDA will continue to evaluate the safety of drugs in the fluoroquinolone class and will communicate with the public again if additional information becomes available.

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Thu 27 Mar 2014 17:19

Martian wrote:There have been topics about the adverse effects and other problems of fluoroquinolones, and also about the related quinolones, on this board.
My apologies, Martian, for posting this:
You're right about there being very little (if anything) about fluoroquinolone toxicity being posted on this forum.
I obviously missed or overlooked those references when I was doing a very quick round of research for someone on CanLyme. This site is the first place I generally go for anything related to Lyme disease and co-infections because there's such a wealth of knowledge here.

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 27 Mar 2014 17:45

Well, at least one can say that there was indeed little information about the adverse effects of fluoroquinolones.

There are other potentially dangerous drugs as well, and also herbs and supplements, let alone combinations of various drugs and/or herbs and/or supplements. This is a good topic about that: No, this is NOT a Bactrim/Septra herx, which mentions this useful drug interaction checker: http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

intrepid

Post by intrepid » Thu 27 Mar 2014 21:28

To Martian: As usual, thank you…very useful and constructive information. Your forum search skills are much superior to mine! :oops: It's easy to see your genuine concern for the well-being of the members of the forum. It's a thing of beauty. I ardently hope that we can help them prevent tragedy from occurring in their own lives. Again, thank you so much.

To RitaA: Adequatio intellectus et rei.

Again, I would highly recommend that everyone download the .pdf document/book above. I know it's large, and it will take a little time out of your day, but it will save your life.

All my best,

intrepid

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Fri 28 Mar 2014 1:32

For those folks who use facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/FluoroquinoloneToxicity
About

Welcome to the Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic Toxicity Advocacy & Activism page. To learn more about how you can help the cause go to http://www.levaquinadversesideeffect.com/ or http://www.saferpills.org

Mission

To educate the public on this antibiotic toxicity and to inspire righteous activism. The drug companies downplay and minimize this toxicity. Thousands of us should not have had our lives destroyed by this class of antibiotics. Thousands more will have their lives altered in the future.

Company Overview

Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic Toxicity Activism and Advocacy Page.

Thousands of individuals are damaged and disabled for months, years, or permanently from Levaquin, Cipro, Avelox, Floxin, and other fluoroquinolone antibiotics. Many innocent victims have even been disabled by as little as a few pills.

This page was created to inform the public about this devastating toxicity and to inspire advocacy and activism. Many people are suffering from delayed fluoroquinolone antibiotic toxicity. They never link their health problems back to these antibiotics. Symptoms range from mild toxicity to severe toxicity.

Changes need to be initiated so that future tragedies can be prevented.

In addition, please forward this site to all of your friends on Facebook and ask them to do the same. The next victim may be one of your family members. Thank you so much for your advocacy and activism. It is very much appreciated.

intrepid

Post by intrepid » Fri 28 Mar 2014 17:24

RitaA: Now you're talkin! Excellent post.

The two links -

http://www.levaquinadversesideeffect.com

http://www.saferpills.org

Are both excellent sources of information on fluoroquinolones.

People, if you're reading this, I can't caution you about this enough. Physicians are literally having you play Russian Roulette, whether they are aware of the dangers or not. It's just not worth it. In today's world the system no longer protects us and it's incumbent on us, the patient, to be our own best advocate and do "due diligence" on our own behalf…before we swallow the pill that ruins our life.

I know what a lot of you are thinking: "Hey, I've taken Cipro lots of times, and I'm ok." Don't kid yourself. This stuff builds up in your system and does its damage in a stealth-like manner. If you have taken just one pill, it's already doing damage. Maybe not discernible yet, but it's there. It's just a matter of time before you get enough doses until you reach a critical level. And then, you're in a situation that you can't reverse.

Please, download the FLOX_REPORT_REV_11.pdf link in the original post above and read it. It explains it all. This is the best guide to fluoroquinolone toxicity that I have found. You'll find out that if you do this to yourself, many of the adverse effects can never be reversed, no matter how much time, or how much rehabilitation. Permanent. Death results in many cases. A really nasty death. I'm living out a hellish nightmare scenario right now. Four pills. It's just a silly and senseless thing to lose your life in order to feed the profit margins of Big Pharma.

I'm always available for questions by PM if anyone has any.

Health and happiness,

intrepid

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Mon 15 Dec 2014 8:40

Here's another possible resource for anyone who may be suffering as a result of being prescribed fluoroquinolones:

http://floxiehope.com/
This site is meant to give hope for healing to those who are adversely effected by fluoroquinolones. It is no way meant to disregard the pain of those who are chronically suffering from the horrifying effects of Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox or the other fluoroquinolones. There are people who don’t recover. Their stories are real and they matter. There are also people who are able to recover and I share their stories with the hope that they inspire others, or at least give hope that recovery is possible.
Some of the comments posted on that website really do make me wonder if at least a few chronically ill people might actually be suffering from the effects of fluoroquinolones and/or other medications used in the treatment of Lyme disease and/or co-infections.

Edited to add:

http://floxiehope.com/2014/09/19/lyme-d ... tibiotics/
Lyme Disease and Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics

September 19, 2014
snippet:
The symptoms of Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome are very similar to the symptoms of chronic Lyme Disease – pain, fatigue (um… bedridden exhaustion is more apt), insomnia, aching joints and muscles, decreased cognitive abilities, anxiety, depression and other psychiatric problems, etc. The similarities between the two make it difficult to distinguish one from another.