Ceftriaxone Pulse Dosing Fails to Eradicate Biofilm-Like Bb Persisters

Topics with information and discussion about published studies related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
nnecker

Re: Ceftriaxone Pulse Dosing Fails to Eradicate Biofilm-Like Bb Persisters

Post by nnecker » Fri 9 Dec 2016 17:26

It look's like the Swiss are listening to you Henry, and not duncan thank God.

http://www.smw.ch/content/smw-2016-14353/
Conclusions:

The case definitions of PTLDS by the Swiss Society for Infectious Diseases, published in 2005, and by the Infectious Diseases Society of America, published in 2006, guide clinicians and health insureres in the evaluation and treatment of post-Lyme disease symptoms (table 1). We found no further data, particularly no prospective controlled studies on Lyme borreliosis, which may change these decade-old case definitions

Henry

Post by Henry » Fri 9 Dec 2016 17:54

NNecker: As has been noted previously, the IDSA guidelines are universally accepted by national and international experts on Lyme disease -- investigators that publish the results of their own studies as rigorously reviewed articles in prestigious scientific journals. That ain't "chopped chicken liver" as they say.

duncan

Post by duncan » Fri 9 Dec 2016 19:30

Universally accepted? :shock:

They are not even universally accepted in the United States.

Henry

Post by Henry » Fri 9 Dec 2016 21:12

Note that I said "by experts on Lyme disease" i.e., by those who do research and publish their results. These are the ones best able to evaluate the results of reported studies. But, we went over this before..........

duncan

Post by duncan » Fri 9 Dec 2016 21:43

Not to be confused with experts on the front lines who actually deal directly with Lyme patients daily, year after year, and try to cure them?

Theory has its place, yes, but sometimes it has to be put in its proper place by reality.

Henry

Post by Henry » Fri 9 Dec 2016 22:33

You should do a PubMed search on the number of Lyme-related research papers -- not opinion paper, notes, and letters-- by your "front-line" people. It could be revealing. If they know anything about Lyme disease, they sure aren't telling anyone.

duncan

Post by duncan » Fri 9 Dec 2016 22:47

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of some Lyme researchers - well-published ones, too. Names that come to mind include Lewis and Zhang and Embers and Aucott.

Of course, most of the researchers I like sort of contradict much of the misplaced dogma being proven untenable by the front-line clinicians I just alluded to in my last post.

hv808ct

Post by hv808ct » Sun 11 Dec 2016 18:08

by duncan » Fri 9 Dec 2016 22:47

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of some Lyme researchers - well-published ones, too. Names that come to mind include Lewis and Zhang and Embers and Aucott.

Fine, but Lewis and Zhang are not long-time LD researchers. They simply applied some familiar behaviors of stationary-phase bacteria to Bb. Embers is virologist who studied HPV until she found an Assist. Prof. position at Tulane’s monkey farm. John Aucott’s position as Hopkins faculty seems as tenuous as my own office space and title at the University of _______. He’s the sole physician at the obscure JHU LD Research Ctr., and both he and Embers seem to spend more of their time maintaining ties to private LD foundations (Bay Area Lyme Foundation, LymeMD, LymeInnovation) than doing fundamental research or collaborating with the two generations of active, productive LD investigators.

I’m not impressed with your choices; you’ve picked bearers of seemingly good news over bearers of real news. A common but serious phenomenon in modern society.

duncan

Post by duncan » Sun 11 Dec 2016 18:43

Relative to two generations of active and productive researchers: Another common but serious phenomenon in modern society is wrongfully equating tenure or longevity or production with excellence or innovative or even meaningful thought.

It is important to be able to distinguish propaganda from progress; the latter often appears from outside historically entrenched ranks, and it can at times result in the dismantling of populist dogma.

Henry

Post by Henry » Sun 11 Dec 2016 22:33

Duncan: Surely you jest. A list of MANY publications on Lyme disease in major peer-reviewed scientific journals MUST count for something, yah think? Compare your top 3 to the list of published papers by Steere, Wormser, and Shapiro. No comparison!!