LymeNet Europe

information and discussion about Lyme disease
Home Information Lyme news Forum  

Babesiosis USA and the Blood supply

Medical topics related to Lyme disease that do not fit in the section "Science", with information about the diagnosis, treatment, etc.

Babesiosis USA and the Blood supply

Postby inmacdonald » Sat 2 Jun 2012 17:57

Video from Skidmore Lyme ConferenceMay2012

Lecture by Dr. David Lieby, American Red Cross, Washington DC
Babesiosis in with transfusion transmission registry for USA

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6eyrvjjz1he3r ... 202012.mp4

Question and Answer Session for Dr David Lieby:
Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4azowgv6w3dlg ... ession.mp4

Comment: Single agent infections with geographic specific strains of Babesia complicate diagnosis.
Tests for Detection of Babesia microti will not pickup infections with other Babesia strains ( MO 1
duncani, and others) European Babesia strain EO 1 is now identified, and dectection requires
a test which is specific for the individual strain.
In the question and answer session, it is pointed out that up until 6 years ago, physicians who
diagnosed babesia infections, where , by then current textook knowledge, no babesiosis was
"supposed to exist" were subject to Disciplinary actions by State Medical Boards.

I encourage viewing of both videos. I encourage physicians in Europe to learn about the geographic
strain issues in Babesiosis and to work with their National and Regional Blood centers to improve the
safety of their blood supply.
**************************************************************************************************************************8
Respectfully submitted,
AlanB. MacDonald MD
inmacdonald

Re: Babesiosis USA and the Blood supply

Postby Bagge » Sat 2 Jun 2012 18:16

Last edited by Bagge on Sun 3 Jun 2012 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Bagge

Re: Babesiosis USA and the Blood supply

Postby inmacdonald » Sat 2 Jun 2012 23:01

Babesiosis: A review from Medscape

It is not likely that if you contract babsiosis infecion ( from a tickbite/ as opposed from a blood transfusion)
that you will die:

Those at risk for The complication of death from babesia infection are:
1.. those persons whohave no spleen ( Asplenic)
2. those persons who have Lymphoma,Leukemia,or other cancer
3. Those who are immunosuppressed for any reason, ( ie Transplants on therapy,
those on chronic immunosuppressive therapy)
4. the very young
5. the very old
6. those with poorly controlled diabetes mellitus
7. Those who are alcoholics
In the State of Connecticut,for which statistics are available, only 1% of blood donors test
positive for babesiosis ( in this state testing for Babesia MICROTI..))
The number is steady at 1% of new blood donors per year in Connecticut.
All donors who were previously positive for Babesiosis are PERMANENTLY EXCLUDED FOR LIFE.
So the persistent !% of Connecticut Blood donors represents a pool of new blood donors, each year,
popping up with Asymptomatic Babesiosis in their donated blood.

Each unit of donate blood is divided into multiple "packs",,, some red blood cell concentrates
( either one unit of packed Red blood cells from one donor,or multiple "pediatric packs of red blood
cells - ususally 5 individual packs - 100cc each- for administration to pediatric patients "Pedi-Packs")
One unit of Platelet concentrate ( usually with some "contamination of Red blood cells mixed with the platelets),One unit of Whit blood cell concentrate, and one unit of Fresh frozen Plasma.
so the Blood donors's gift winds up going to multiple different potential blood transfusion recipients.

According to Dr David Lieby, TRANSFUSION TRANSMITTED BABESIOSIS in the USofA Numbered
67 FATAL OUTCOME cases
for the fifty states in their study (most recent year for which statistics are available.)

It is eminently an imperative to prevent DEATHS from Blood transfusion acquired infections,
be those infections: HIV, Chagas' disease, or Babesiosis.

I attach a recent Medscape Review on babesiosis.

I should Poiint out that in 1987, in Southampton New York, as Pahologist at Southampton Hospital,
an epidemic of babesiosis was in full force.
I wrote and telephoned the Suffok County Department of Health,the New York State Dept of Health,
Long Island Blood Services ( an arm of the American Red Cross) to intervene to protect the public at large from Transfusion transmitted Babesiosis.
I personally collected medical records from over 100 patients
who I personally diagnosed with Babesiosis, based on very intense and time consuming examinations of
their blood smears. All Positive babesiosis cases were confirmed by the New York State Dept of Health Laboratories at Stony Brook,(Dr Jorge Benach, director)
My pleas for Health Department intervention and Red Cross Intervention went unheeded ,ignored, in spite of supporting Babesia diagnostic studies for every case which I diagnosed from the N Y State Dept of Health.

So in 1987,nothing was done, by the local Health Department, by the NY State Health Dept, or by the Long Island Blood Services Blood donor central facility.
Imagine, ,100confirmed cases by ONE pathologist, in ONE county of New York State, in 1987. Now compare that 100 cases with a TEN year number of 167 cases of Babesiosis for the FIFTY States, over a TEN YEAR Period>.
It is a sobering, and very frustrating statistic indeed.
Respectfully,
Alan B.MacDonald MD
Community Hospital Pathologist

Babesiosis Medscape Review.pdf
Babesiosis Review -Medscape
(217.96 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

*****************************************************************************************************************

Babesiosis,Human, Review, Medscape
inmacdonald

Return to Medical