LymeNet Europe

information and discussion about Lyme disease
Home Information Lyme news Forum  

Morgellons: Figments of the Imagination?

Medical topics related to Lyme disease that do not fit in the section "Science", with information about the diagnosis, treatment, etc.

Morgellons: Figments of the Imagination?

Postby Martian » Wed 23 Jan 2008 3:51

Quoting source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03134.html
Whatever it is -- and most doctors believe it's purely delusional -- Morgellons has become a grass-roots Web phenomenon. Google it, and nearly 162,000 references show up, many of them chock-full of vivid color photographs of what people claim are strange, colorful fibers growing under their skin. Several other sufferers have taken graphic videos of themselves poking with tweezers at what appear to be fiber-entangled lesions and then posted them on YouTube. Long online discussions ramble on about the latest conspiracy theories that cause the disease -- poisonous chemicals produced by the government and spread by jet contrails, so-called chem trails; aliens; artificially intelligent nanotechnology; genetic engineering; or a government bioweapon gone awry. Others debate the latest expensive cure-alls -- antibiotics, antifungal creams, vitamin supplements, liquid silver, food-grade diatomaceous earth, deworming medication meant for cattle.

But look on the official American Academy of Dermatology Web site, and Morgellons isn't there. The skin afflictions starting with M jump from "Molluscum contagiosum" to "Mucocutaneous candidiasis." Ditto on the Infectious Diseases Society of America. A search for Morgellons on the National Institutes of Health site returns "no pages found." There is only one study of Morgellons in a peer-reviewed medical journal, the holy grail for Western medicine.

Jeffrey Meffert, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of Texas in San Antonio and a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, gives presentations to the medical community debunking Morgellons. It's not that people aren't suffering; they are, he says. It's just that he thinks they have something else, such as scabies or an eczema-like skin condition called prurigo nodularis that's little understood and for which there is no good treatment. And the fibers, he says, are easy to explain.

"People with very itchy skin have scabs, which ooze and tend to pick up threads from the environment, from dogs, cats, air filters, car upholstery, carpet," he says. "Any fibers that I have ever been presented with by one of my patients have always been textile fibers."
Martian

Re: Morgellons: Figments of the Imagination?

Postby minitails2 » Wed 23 Jan 2008 11:38

I've actually never known what Margellons was, so thanks. Has anyone ever personally known anyone who believes (I don't mean that in a derogatory way) they suffer from this? Is this a fairly new topic on the web? :?:
minitails2

Postby LymeEnigma » Wed 23 Jan 2008 17:59

Morgellon's has been a phenomenon across the web for a long time, now ... and don't you dare go to Lymenet or HealingWell and question it ... I speak from personal experience regarding the latter.

I personally believe it is more likely a neurological issue. I know when my Lyme was at its worst, I felt like my skin was crawling, among other things. I could very easily see how someone experiencing those types of sensations might try to rationalize it to be an actual skin infection, especially if that person also presented with some kind of dermatitis.

A couple of months ago my local news decided to do a story on Morgellon's, and showed several pictures of lesions from which patients claimed these fibers emerged. My apologies to anyone this offends, but all of the pictures were pictures of what I call "tweaker marks" ... if anyone has ever known a speed addict, they would know immediately what I was talking about. NOW, I'm not saying people with Morgellon's are tweakers, but I am suggesting that maybe something neurological is going on to make them pick at themselves as if they were tweakers ... Lyme does some creepy things to people....

For all I know, two years from now they'll have identified the parasite, but I'm really leaning toward the neuro pole on this one.
LymeEnigma

Postby cave76 » Wed 23 Jan 2008 19:30

mini,

NP Ginger Savely (in Dr Stricker's office) has been treating Morgellons for quite a while. (Years?) She probably has had at least one article in the PHA----and that's free online. I think Forskyn always posts it at the other forum. (I'm sure it's because he's a presence ($$$) there also) :)
cave76

Postby minitails2 » Thu 24 Jan 2008 1:57

Thanks. I just noticed an article posted under Science which I commented on, only in that the writer was just a bit careless. Just to give you a taste: Have you seen Rachael B. Stricker later? I look forward to seeing his legs next time. :mrgreen:
minitails2

Postby Martian » Thu 24 Jan 2008 15:01

Am J Clin Dermatol. 2006;7(1):1-5.

The mystery of Morgellons disease: infection or delusion?

Savely VR, Leitao MM, Stricker RB.

South Austin Family Practice Clinic, Austin, Texas, USA.

Morgellons disease is a mysterious skin disorder that was first described more than 300 years ago. The disease is characterized by fiber-like strands extruding from the skin in conjunction with various dermatologic and neuropsychiatric symptoms. In this respect, Morgellons disease resembles and may be confused with delusional parasitosis. The association with Lyme disease and the apparent response to antibacterial therapy suggest that Morgellons disease may be linked to an undefined infectious process. Further clinical and molecular research is needed to unlock the mystery of Morgellons disease.

PMID: 16489838 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Martian

Postby Martian » Thu 24 Jan 2008 15:03

http://www.future-drugs.com/doi/abs/10. ... 72.2.5.585

Expert Review of Dermatology
October 2007, Vol. 2, No. 5, Pages 585-591
(doi:10.1586/17469872.2.5.585)

Morgellons disease: the mystery unfolds
Virginia R Savely and Raphael B Stricker
† Author for correspondence

Morgellons disease is a mysterious skin disorder that was first described over 300 years ago. The disease is characterized by fiber-like strands extruding from the skin in association with dermatologic and neuropsychiatric signs and symptoms. Although Morgellons disease has been confused with delusional parasitosis, the occurrence of the disease in children, the lack of pre-existing psychopathology in most patients and the presence of subcutaneous fibers on skin biopsy indicate that the disease has a somatic origin. The association with Lyme disease and the apparent response to antibiotic therapy supports the concept that Morgellons disease may be triggered by an infectious process. Recent studies suggest that infection with Agrobacterium may play a role in the disease. Further clinical and molecular research is needed to unlock the mystery of Morgellons disease.
Martian

Postby Martian » Sat 26 Jan 2008 0:33

To my surprise, the forum at http://canlyme.com/forum/ now has a section about "Morgellons Disease":

Morgellons Disease
A little understood disease involving skin rashes with as of yet unidentified protruding fibres. Morgellons is also associated with serious and disabling neurologic manifestations. Many people with this condition test positive for Lyme disease.

More and more, Morgellons disease seems to be associated with Lyme disease by more and more people, while at the same time many doctors even doubt the existence of this disease. Is there reliable evidence that this disease exists, and is there reliable evidence that it is associated with Lyme disease?

I am worried that this is yet another thing that discredits Lyme disease.
Martian

Postby OneGuest » Mon 28 Jan 2008 19:02

My opinion also is that any results will be used to discredit anybody and anything, to suit the agenda of the invesitigators.

That is because the cdc is using an insurance company and the dept. of defense to investigate this. There is no way that results will be honest.

Does it exist?

Well, that is determined by how you define "it". See Clinton.

The "threads" exist. They are real and they do not come from fabric. They come from within the body.

Are they an individual but unknown pathogenic and externally acquired organism?

Are they a by-product of an unknown organism?

Are they a non-living result of an interaction between two organisms? Known or
unknown.

Are they an individual but unknown organism that is normally within the body, that has
run amok because of other organisms upsetting some balance within the body?

Then, there are the accompanying symptoms: skin crawling, biting, stinging, lesions, brain fog, etc.

Those can be separate from the threads as a symptom of something else.

Or they can be a symptom of the cause of the threads.

Or a symptom of both.

Are there some of those people who are bringing in something innocuous from home, thinking it is on them?
Could be.

But there are also those who are really having these anomalies coming out of their skin.

It is not a delusion for many.

If you fear this will discredit the lyme community, I would recommend you consider how the people who have the threads feel.

Do you not think they are afraid,too?

How many of the lyme patients have been trashed by mainstream medicine, trying to get a diagnosis for their ills, only to be told it is stress?

How would you feel if these things were there on your body , and you were told you were having delusions.

The website of morgellons (whatever it is) can have contributing populations of real and deluded. Just as any website can have disturbed individuals contributing.

The needs of the real victims are not being met by the medical community. It is no wonder they seek unusual methods to alleviate symptoms. What choice do they have?

Would you sacrifice/discredit them, for your own ends or need for legitimacy?

Whatever, the threads are real, whatever they are.

One Guest
OneGuest

Postby cave76 » Mon 28 Jan 2008 19:10

Forgive me if I ask some questions that have been answered or addressed- ---- I'm aware of Morgellons but not to a great degree. Some of my awareness is from 'the media'. :(

When I've watched a tv clip or story about Morgellons and I hear of the victims being 'dismissed' by their doctors
I just wonder---- is there no concerted effort being made by all the people who have seen these fibers in the skin to save the fibers and get them analyzed by a lab?

Yes, I know that costs money. :(

Not every person with these fibers can get to NP Savely or another doc who believes them.

Just wondering.
cave76

Next

Return to Medical