LymeNet Europe

information and discussion about Lyme disease
Home Information Lyme news Forum  

Chocolate Lovers: Polyglycerol Polyricinoleate-PGPR

Here you can socialize and have fun with other board members, and talk about all sorts of topics that are not related to Lyme disease.

Chocolate Lovers: Polyglycerol Polyricinoleate-PGPR

Postby Claudia » Sun 14 Dec 2008 0:15

Cavey, Hiker, Yvonne and the other chocolate lovers,

I bought a bag of Hershey Kisses to make some holiday cookies.

I was looking at the package ingredient list and saw something I hadn't seen before, an ingredient listed as simply "PGPR," so I Googled it to see what it could be. I am not happy and wanted to get the word out to those that might not know, but they've screwed with our chocolate. :evil:

They have taken out the ingredient that makes chocolate healthy (to sell it for profit to cosmetic companies) and replaced it with additive crap for us to ingest.

Here's some of what Wikipedia had to say on the chemical :

Polyglycerol Polyricinoleate (PGPR), E476

It is primarily used to reduce the fat content of chocolate. Since 2006, commercial-grade candy bars, such as those made by Hersheys and Nestle, made an industry-wide switch to include PGPR as an ingredient - a possible indicator of a cost saving measure by the commercial chocolate industry. Makers of PGPR (see source link below) such as Danisco and Palsgaard indicate that PGPR can be used to replace the more expensive cocoa butter as an ingredient in chocolate. Palsgaard's website asserts, "Cocoa butter is an expensive raw material for chocolate manufacturers. By using PALSGAARD 4150 the chocolate recipe has lower costs in terms of less cocoa butter but also gives the benefit of having less fat."[1]

PGPR is a yellowish, viscous liquid composed of polyglycerol esters of polycondensed fatty acids from castor oil. It may also be polyglycerol esters of dimerized fatty acids of soya bean oil.

PGPR is strongly lipophilic, soluble in fats and oils and insoluble in water and ethyl alcohol. In chocolates it is used as a viscosity reducing agent.[2] It is virtually always paired with lecithin or another plastic viscosity-reducing agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pgpr

Here's what a candy blogger has to say,

CandyRecapper: PGPR and the FDA

Deodorized cocoa butter is more readily available not only because it allows for flavor control, but also because it is often removed in the manufacturing process and sold to the cosmetics industry. PGPR is often hailed as a cost-saving move for chocolate companies because it is much cheaper than cocoa butter, but it is rarely pointed out that for those companies who manufacture the chocolate themselves, there is money to be made in redirecting part of their foodstuffs to rub on consumers' skins at a much higher price than that of chocolate.

The author of the Wikipedia article about PGPR, in his Yelp account as "Aaron P.," states that "It has a detectable and somewhat offputting aftertaste.... American chocolate makers have been lobbying for years to be allowed to add vegetable fats to their products so they can sell the cocoa butter at a higher profit to cosmetic manufacturers. So far they have been thwarted, so now they have moved to using PGPR to lower the levels of cocoa butter while still remaining undetectable to most people." He also noted that "Unfortunately, someone keeps altering the (Wikipedia article) to detail the glories of PGPR, and I have to keep fixing it."

[SNIP]

The 1996 study conducted by Andrew Waterhouse of UC Davis which discovered the phenols (potent antioxidants) in chocolate also revealed that these antioxidants come from cocoa butter and the stearic acid it produces. It demonstrated that the phenols prevented LDL cholesterol from building up in arteries. Another study had subjects follow diets in which the majority of fat calories came from either chocolate or butter; only those with the butterfat diet showed an increase in LDL cholesterol.

This is why dark chocolate, which usually contains between about 30% and 50% cocoa butter, is touted for its antioxidant properties, and a bar of Hershey's milk chocolate is not.

http://candyrecapper.com/pgpr.html

Ughhhhhhhhh!
Claudia

Re: Chocolate Lovers: Polyglycerol Polyricinoleate-PGPR

Postby FunkOdyssey » Sun 14 Dec 2008 1:53

Yeah any chocolate that uses that stuff is total garbage. I'll also put on my chocolate snob hat for a second and assert that any chocolate with less than 60% cocoa or the addition of milk is also garbage. :)

I eat Endangered Species 88% organic dark chocolate every day, a half bar as part of my breakfast. Highly recommended. :woohoo:
FunkOdyssey

Postby Claudia » Sun 14 Dec 2008 2:43

FunkOdyssey wrote:I eat Endangered Species 88% organic dark chocolate every day, a half bar as part of my breakfast. Highly recommended. :woohoo:

I used to buy that same brand and bar all the time too, it's awesome, but then they stopped carrying it a few months ago where I do my grocery shopping. It's so good and rich that only a few squares really satisfies the biggest chocolate craving.

It's expensive, but well worth it. The grocery store where I use to get it sold it for $2.89 a bar. What are you paying for it where you are?

Reading this PGPR crap now, I am motivated to try and find the Endangered Species line again and order it online if I have to.
Claudia

Postby FunkOdyssey » Sun 14 Dec 2008 11:31

Shaw's grocery store has it in my area for $3 a bar, sometimes on sale for $2.80. It is available online, check on amazon.com.
FunkOdyssey

Postby BlueAngel » Sun 14 Dec 2008 16:15

Whole Foods market carries this brand. Some of their stores don't stock the 88%, but they will order it and keep it in stock if you request it. If you buy it online, you have to pay for shipping.
BlueAngel

Postby cave76 » Sun 14 Dec 2008 18:17

DARN!

Do you know if Hershey's makes a purer version for PICC lines?

:woohoo:
cave76

Postby Fin24 » Sun 14 Dec 2008 22:36

anyone bother to email or call the Hershey et al companies??? sometimes they actually will listen to consumer complaints IF theyre specific and in large enough quantity!!

After I started a campaign with Campbells for the past 5 years FINALLY they have a line of No MSG soups BUT be aware its not pure--the yeast extracts and some of the "flavorings" naturally have MSG and so they can sneak it in that way!!!

BUT they had my name ( and 5 of my buddies) on record and actually emailed us to let us know the improved versions are available...we still bitterly complained yet again that as long as sneaky MSG is still there at any level most of us cant and wont bother buying it---no thanks---they responded theyll pass that along to their consumer satisfaction division-- Im guessing theyve emailed a lot more who did complain--Im sure they didnt bother with just the 6 of us--like Ive said--power in numbers

sooo it takes time and effort and patience galore BUT if we dont speak out nothing can or will ever change

and btw hello to all--Ive missed you guys--I cant promise this short spate of 5 min with less vertigo will last and alas I may be forced into another long hiatus

since Ive last been here regularly Ive had a STROKE ( mildish) and worsening of the Chiari ( related??? maybe)
and been dealing with Evan's descent into Lyme hell now that he is on IV meds--and insurance hell---Healthnet refused to pay for a day past 28 days of IV meds and wont even allow for maintainence of PICC or supplies---and theyve slammed us on the IVIG even tho its a separate condition--LPN in med director's office: " but what if the Dr thinks it will also help the Lyme--we cant set that precedent and unfortunately his IG status isnt bad enough" despite neuro and immuno and INFECTIOUS DISEASE mDrs all agreeing that Evan's CVIDs is retarding his Lyme/Myco/Bart resolution and the iv meds are wasted at this point without IG boosts too

and so I continue to charge 150-200 US $ per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and pray there will be a way to pay for it later and hope without IVIG it isnt a waste after all but what else can we do?? I cant do 'nothing'

we are at final appeal with NYS atty general/insurance Bd level and I hope they see the light--we bombarded them with about 4 inches of scientific validatioon for peristence of infection, long term meds, IVIG and dysautonomias etc etc etc etc both separately and as overlapping and confounding entities---and theyve finally stopped quoting IDSA!!~!!! BUT insurance comp now call it all "experimental" based upon the lack of articles about someone with Lyme and Co';s who also has CVIDS and dyaautonomia and has ALSO been successfully treated with long term meds plus IVIG--they keep asking for proof it will work--we have even said cancer treatments dont have to be proven this way so its discriminatory--they LAUGH and say " more likely than not it will help" isnt good enough

what asses---they know full well he is a special case and are using that against us!!!

we will know in about 2 weeks if any of the growing bill ( now over 5 grand and we are only into month 3) will ever be reimbursed...

thanks to all whove emailed me and had it bounce back...if there is an urgent need to find me ,the almost ex- Paul- can accept emails at Paul1031@aol.com...in the re ,put " for Finette"

and for anyone who also reads MDJUnction/Lyme: I am NOT minitails--she IS a dear and close friend like many others here but she lives in Calif and weve never actually met in person. I live in central NJ--alas becasue we are both educated and refuse to tolerate ignorance and marketing scams we have been accused of being one and the same person!!! we MAY have been conjoined twins separated at birth, but Im not confirming that :lol:

hugs all around

Finette
Fin24

Postby Claudia » Tue 31 Mar 2009 18:39

First PGPR in our chocolate, now the woo.

Mind over Chocolate
Mar. 26, 2009 TIME Magazine

Move over, organic, fair trade and free range--the latest in enlightened edibles is here: food with "embedded" positive intentions....Intentional Chocolate, founded in 2007 by chocolatier Jim Walsh, uses a special recording device to capture the electromagnetic brain waves of meditating Tibetan monks; Walsh then exposes his confections to the recording for five days per batch.

We hear your eyes rolling. But some claim there's actually something to the idea that humans can alter the physical world with their minds, and they offer research to prove it. Dean Radin, a senior scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences* in Petaluma, Calif., conducted a test in which, he says, subjects who ate Intentional Chocolate improved their mood 67% compared with people who ate regular chocolate.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 58,00.html

* Institute of Noetic Sciences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_ ... c_Sciences

:woohoo:
Claudia

Return to Off-Topic Café