LymeNet Europe

information and discussion about Lyme disease
Home Information Lyme news Forum  

Panic over child poisonings due to Hand sanitizer

Here you can socialize and have fun with other board members, and talk about all sorts of topics that are not related to Lyme disease.

Panic over child poisonings due to Hand sanitizer

Postby Fin24 » Wed 29 Apr 2009 1:39

emails are being sent faster than speed of light and yet arent entirely truthful, please read and pass along the accurate info so kids are protected and we ALL are as well

here is how Ive responded
according to many poison control centers, the risks of NOT using the sanitizers--especially now with a flu pandemic upon us, is far greater than a child being harmed--theyd have to DRINK and not LICK the stuff
Please read the following, exercise caution, and dont allow this alarmist information scare you from using it

from Poison Control:
Recently, an email has circulated warning parents not to use hand sanitizers due to the danger they pose to children. And while hand sanitizers can be dangerous if swallowed, actual symptoms from their misuse are extremely rare. Most children who get a “taste” or a “lick” of hand sanitizer experience only mild symptoms, if any, and can be safely managed at home with the assistance of the Poison Center. Hand sanitizer taste bad and can result in a burning sensation, so most children will not swallow an amount large enough to produce symptoms. However, there are children who will drink anything, no matter how bad it tastes – and in those cases alcohol poisoning can result.

The same thing can occur if mouthwash or perfume is swallowed. The bottom line is – hand sanitizers are beneficial for killing germs on hands and like all potentially poisonous items, they should be stored out of the reach of children and should be used according to the label. Adults should monitor use of hand sanitizer by children to ensure that the proper amount is used and that hands wet with s anitizer are not put in the mouth. Also, avoid buying large containers of sanitizer. If a child only has access to a small bottle (30mL or less), they are less likely to ingest enough to result in harm. If hand sanitizer is swallowed (or splashed in eyes), contact the nearest Poison Center





and FYI here is the email ( started 2007 and hasnt yet died) that is generating the panic

Subject: Warning for all Parents, Grandparents, Friends, etc. please do not delete before reading



If you have ever watched the program, "The Doctors", they also brought this problem up and it is true. Seems that the sanitizer also tastes good so the child licks it off their hands.

This story was verified at: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp <http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp> This is not a Joke! This is a Warning for all parents / grandparents PLEASE OPEN !!!

Warning for all parents/grandparents, a friend sent this to me and I thought
it was important enough to send on.....we all know someone with children --

Yesterday, my youngest daughter, Halle who is just 4 years old, was rushed
to the ER by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent in her classroom.
He was called to her school by the school secretary who said that she was
'VERY VERY SICK'!
He told me that when he arrived at her classroom, Halle was barely sitting in the chair.
She couldn't hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she
couldn't focus them.

He immediately scooped her up and rushed her to the closest ER, and then
called me. When he got there, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays,
every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was
out of the ordinary. When I arrived at the ER, the doctor there told us that he
had done everything that he could do so he was transferring her to Saint Francis
Hospital for further tests.

Right as we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher arrived at the ER and
told us that after questioning Halle 's classmates , She had found out that our little
girl had licked liquid hand sanitizer off of her hands !!!
Hand sanitizer, of all things. But it makes sense..These days they have all kinds
of different scents and flavors and when you have a curious child, they are going
to put all kinds of things into their mouths.

When we arrived at the Saint Francis' Hospital ER, we told the ER Doctor there to
check her blood alcohol level, and yes we did get weird looks, but they did it.
The results showed her blood alcohol level was 85% -- six hours after we first
took her. There's no telling what it would have been if we would have requested
it at the first ER.

Since then, her school and a few surrounding schools have taken the liquid hand
sanitizers out of all the lower grade classes, but what's to stop middle and high
schoolers from ingesting this stuff?
After doing research on the Internet, we found out that it only takes about
3 squirts of the stuff ingested to be fatal to a toddler.
For her blood alcohol level to be so high, it would be like someone her size
drinking120 proof liquor. So PLEASE PLEASE don't disregard this because
we don't ever want another family to go through what ours has gone through.

Please send this to everyone you know
that have children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews or cousins.
It doesn't matter what age. This could affect anyone of them .

This can also be verified on truth or fiction, see below...
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/ ... itizer.htm
Fin24
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Sat 8 Mar 2008 21:14

Re: Panic over child poisonings due to Hand sanitizer

Postby Fin24 » Wed 29 Apr 2009 1:50

btw--in adults a BAC ( blood alc level) of 40% is extremely likely to produce COMA with dangerously low BP and HR so I doubt any 4 yr old can survive that BAC of 85% the story claims

and scents and flavors??? the alcohol makes it burn and sting in the mouth,( ever get it in a cut??), so this too is odd.

Finally, those sites " verifying" this story actually point out what I did--the less than accurate "facts".
Fin24
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Sat 8 Mar 2008 21:14

Re: Panic over child poisonings due to Hand sanitizer

Postby admin » Wed 28 Oct 2009 19:06

FYI: this is one of the most popular LNE topics over the past months!

From the search terms I conclude that many visitors have been scared by the warning messages, but apparantly some people actually had a curious child, because some searches include: "my child swallowed hand sanitizer" and "my baby ate hand sanitizer". The typical suspect is a toddler, both boy and girl.
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed 25 Jul 2007 21:06

Re: Panic over child poisonings due to Hand sanitizer

Postby Fin24 » Wed 28 Oct 2009 19:31

do I get some chocolates for posting it??? Oh wait thats Doc Dave's reward...what do I get from this admin??
;)

seriously though, there are a few cases of kids putting it into their mouths and emails like that panic them into thinking "poison" and so IMO they rush to the internet, but other than a few cases of odd eating habits ("PICA"); most will spit it out due to the burning of the alcohol. Or gag and vomit, again from the taste and texture.

hey at least theyre coming HERE and maybe theyll even learn a little about Lyme while theyre at it
Fin24
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Sat 8 Mar 2008 21:14


Return to Off-Topic Café

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest