Questions for LymeNet Europe article

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.
rlstanley

Questions for LymeNet Europe article

Post by rlstanley » Fri 2 May 2008 16:44

I'll be needing your insights and quotes for the LymeNet Europe article I'm going to write.

I've decided to concentrate on the site itself rather than the poll about dubious treatments. I think it will be a better write-up. Of course, I plan to include the poll, but it will not be the major focus. It will definitely show how this group has the willingness to tackle something like this.

Remember, I won't be able to use all quotes, but I will be able to summarize answers to give the reader the flavor of the site.

Links will be given to the site and your answers here, so readers can come and read what you say in it's original form.

Questions:

1. Why do you come to LymeNet Europe?

2. What is the atmosphere here?

3. What kind of people might find the site useful?

4. Who might want to stay away?

5. What is the feature you like most about the site?

6. Say a few words about Martian.

Rita
Last edited by rlstanley on Sat 3 May 2008 0:14, edited 2 times in total.

Cobwebby

Re: Questions for LymeNet Europe article

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 2 May 2008 17:04

Wealth of Scientific information which I might understand someday.

Wild West-people shoot straight from the hip.

smart, intelligent,seriously fun loving,and newbies that need a place they can trust for honest information

carpetbaggers, hysterics

color font, Support and Lyme Cafe

Bless You
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

itsy

Post by itsy » Fri 2 May 2008 18:00

Questions:

I'm interested in information, science, and healthy debate. Here, we can discuss studies. We can discuss the pros and cons of unproven or alternative treatments. We can bust one another's chops...
We can do all that without (generally) the drama of many other Lyme Boards.

I think we are all opinionated, outspoken, intelligent, spirited, and just a little crude. But we genuinely like one another even when we disagree (I like to think) and the fur flies. Its tight without being exclusive. I have never seen anyone who has come in here with good intentions turned away or not greeted kindly.

People interested in intelligent conversation regarding TBI's. People interested in the science behind the debate. People looking for answers who want information without too much fluff.

Those without a firm sense of self who are easily offended. Hysterics, those with an agenda, or people who are looking for emotional fulfillment probably wouldn't do well here. It should be avoided by minors without supervision for profanity and adult themes. This is a rated "R" board at times.

:o The Scream smilie.

He's out of this world.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Fri 2 May 2008 20:09

How can I add much after what cobby and itsy said? I agree with their reasons.

It's got a good blend of both science and nuttiness.

Friendly

a. people who want medical science information
b. people looking for factual information about possible scam sites.

zealots, of any kind

Both friendly and professional.

I appreciate him as moderator. We can even disagree with him and
not get banned.
:D

hiker53

Post by hiker53 » Sat 3 May 2008 0:47

I like this site, because of the good research.

I also like that even though I have and will continue to try other treatments besides antibiotics no one is slamming me for it.

I would like to attract more people especially those from Europe to get an insight on more treatment options.

Everyone is friendly here even if we are a bit crazy. :woohoo: Hiker53

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Sat 3 May 2008 12:00

3. For the information and good science and that we can discuss about it. And I like the people here, who can be serious but also make time for humour.

Most of the time it is friendly but sometimes it threatens to get out of hand but usually it will be all right again.

7. People interested in science.People who wants to know more about lyme disease and about treatments and who wants to share their experiences and read about the experiences of others.
And I think here is a lot of information that will be useful for doctors and I hope they also find their way to this forum

I hope nobody.Everyone should have the opportunity to say something

A lot of good information, share opinions and share humour

M= man
A=adult
R=rational
T=trustworthy
I=Intelligent
A=admin
N=no-nonsense
Listen to all,
plucking a feather from every passing goose,
but follow no one absolutely

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun 4 May 2008 15:12

The science: peer-reviewed papers, abstracts and what the educational background of the membership brings to topics; and the overall collective wisdom and intelligence of the "been there, done that" membership.

Academic and objective with an irreverent twist. I've learned a lot here, had some of my opinions changed and had some good laughs while gaining new knowledge.

Those looking for objective and factual information. And those looking to understand and sort through the political and medical mess that is Lyme disease.

It is so refreshing for me not to see the people here posting sales and marketing bullshit from sales rag newsletters and web sites as a source of their medical and scientific information, as is done daily on the more popular Lyme forums, where challenging that approach is also discouraged.

Sheep bleating dogma or hype without having examined or thought through the facts, and those who take being challenged or questioned on their thoughts or positions as a personal insult or offense.

Yvonne's diverse research and how she finds information to address many poster's threads. Thank you Yvonne for all you contribute here.

This is the best Lyme disease and TBI resource and community board I've found. Thank you Martian for making it possible and for gently guiding it to stay on track.

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 6 May 2008 1:50

I come to Lymenet Europe because the discussion here revolves around research and science, rather than dogma and anecdote.

The atmosphere here is generally calm, although there are clashes sometimes among certain differences in opinions. However, given the enigmatic nature of the disease, it is only natural for debate to occur from time to time. LNE is unique, in that the administrator is good about not taking sides. Most other sites out there have a very strong ILADS or LDA slant, often banning members for questioning any aspect to the "Lyme literate" community. Some of us aren't content with their answers. LNE is a site where one can question, raise new theories, and even sometimes be wrong ... and still be welcome to return the next day.

I think this site would prove useful to anyone who is looking for balanced and up-to-date information on Lyme disease and related illnesses.

The only people who would want to stay away from LNE would be those looking to promote dogma, pseudo-science, and other such nonsense.

See #2.

Martian is a great administrator. He makes moderating look easy.