Contributing Factors

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.

Please mark all that apply to you.

I've had pets all/most of my life.
24%
I have had a flea infestation in my house before, or visited a house that had one.
18%
I keep birds, have owned birds in the past, or have visited friends who keep birds.
16%
I keep reptiles, have owned reptiles in the past, or have visited friends who keep reptiles.
10%
I have had a rodent for a pet, or have visited friends who have.
18%
I have worked at a pet store that sells pets.
2%
I have shared drinks/food with my pet before.
14%
I have had minimal contact with animals my entire life.
No votes

Total votes: 51

LymeEnigma

Contributing Factors

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 23 Dec 2008 23:58

I am curious as to whether there might be contributing factors to the chronic state many Lymies suffer, and if there might be a connection to recurring reinfection with zoonotic disease and chronic illness. For example: might people with persistent bartonella have cats, from which they are constantly being reinfected? How many people with chronic lung issues have kept birds? How many people with chronic joint inflammation have had pet reptiles? Is there a connection between our pets and persistent illness, beyond Bb?

cavey

Re: Contributing Factors

Post by cavey » Wed 24 Dec 2008 0:23

Although I took the poll, because it never hurts to get information, I would think that it's the terrible complexity of Bb, Bart, Babs etc and the poor state of medical care/KNOWLEDGE that are to blame for a continuing state of chronicity .

But it will be interesting to see the results.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Wed 24 Dec 2008 2:30

what if youre so paranoid that you have your cats checked and cultured serially and never find Bart in them???

I know feline Bart can be dormant and undetectable in some cats yet still be infective but the likelihood of monthly blood draws over 24 months finding something IF there,is high!!( ok so Im nuts--I didnt want to be infecting my kids or making MY condition worse)

plus older cats or declawed ( Id never do that---just saying), are less risky for scratches--and if they never go out and the house never had fleas...well...you get where Im going

and off the top of my head IF you have birds a fungal infection is more likely and then what if THAT affects your immune system so a tick borne cant be overcome???

what if you teach college on an aggie campus or near an animal lab?? I handled rodents regularly as well as turkeys and chicks...and made daily visits to the calfing barn. Yet while there ( Rutgers University NJ for the nosy) I was feeling best. when I stopped to raise and have my third child ( a welcome surprise) wham--Lyme and company set up shop--probably exposed on my own lawn!!

and those lab areas and barns were a MESS but I think I had more exposure issues to my hot bench ( iodinated growth hormone)- the radioactivity alarms would signal spills regularly

you have to be careful and yet its almost impossible to separate work and home environmental additions from this equation!!

cavey

Post by cavey » Wed 24 Dec 2008 3:14

A really really good way to get exposed to absolutely everything----- work as a dental hygienist in the pre-AIDS era with no gloves or mask and blood up to wrists everyday!!!!!

(Why won't people FLOSS?????)

I had a UCSF doc tell me (actually Dr. Dan Peterson of CFIDS and Incline Village fame) tell me that his college age daughter was considering dental hygiene as a career.

He said he was doing everything he could to convince her that that was a DANGEROUS career--- and that was after AIDS.

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Wed 24 Dec 2008 22:52

Are Guinea Pigs rodents?

Actually the answer doesn't matter, because at the big house, before we became lyme gypsies, a little field mouse took up residence with Stinky in her cage. Rather cute little bugger.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Sat 27 Dec 2008 23:46

I think that the pathogens to which we are/have been exposed from our pets, as well as the vectors that can come with them, may contribute to co-infections that can complicate Bb infections, as well as "chronic" forms of bartonella, mycoplasma, salmonella, etc.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Sun 28 Dec 2008 1:54

LE

I absolutely agree with you BUT its damn hard if not impossible to separate it all out into a cause effect analysis

Cobs
SCIENTIFIC CLASSIFICATION

COMMON NAME: Guinea pig, cavy
KINGDOM: Animalia
PHYLUM: Chordata
CLASS: Mammalia
ORDER: Rodentia
FAMILY: Caviidae
GENUS SPECIES: Cavia (rat) porcellus (little pig)

others in the order-- too long to list but if you ever want to know whats a rodent?? go here

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... l#Rodentia

btw over 40% of the mammals belong here

and you DO know that South Americans EAT them and raise for food a lot like we do chickens right??

I shudder at that--we raised dozens==at one time we had a total of 42 in 3 hutches I built myself!!! at the same time we had 2 rabbits, a chicken attacked by neighbors dog lunging over my fence ( no remorse- the owner said "Ill give you the going price of 59 cents a pound ")and yet my kids were TRAUMATIZED at the site of "tweety" in his dog's jaws--and 3 cats ( indoors only)--we lived in a partly rural area--4H was BIG and I was sorry we didnt have a lamb too!!

guinea pig and rabbit poop makes for great ORGANIC fertilizer as my full winter freezer alwasy attested to

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Sun 28 Dec 2008 3:47

Thanks for all the info Fin-I actually thought with all the guinea pig poop produced there must be a good use for it. But I never got around to using it in the garden.

And I knew about it as a food source. We got a brochure from a charity where you could buy various "food sources" for third world countries. I saw guinea pigs listed-but decided to forgo it as long as my daughter was in love with hers.
Martha Washington

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Sun 28 Dec 2008 3:47

Thanks for all the info Fin-I actually thought with all the guinea pig poop produced there must be a good use for it. But I never got around to using it in the garden.

And I knew about it as a food source. We got a brochure from a charity where you could buy various "food sources" for third world countries. I saw guinea pigs listed-but decided to forgo it as long as my daughter was in love with hers.
Martha Washington