Suggestion for Newbies/Reminders for Oldies

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.
Cobwebby

Suggestion for Newbies/Reminders for Oldies

Post by Cobwebby » Wed 14 Jan 2009 15:44

Check your motives when replying .

edited to add : Opinions welcome HERE
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Cobwebby

Re: Suggestion for Newbies/Reminders for Oldies

Post by Cobwebby » Thu 15 Jan 2009 0:51

In my opinion this is the best place to post your opinion on any topic. Every one thinks their opinion is right-so this is a win win thread.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Whether anyone else wishes to be enlightened by someone else's opinion is optional. At least that's my opinion.
Martha Washington

Martian

Example of substantial discussion on controversial topic

Post by Martian » Thu 15 Jan 2009 14:10

A great example from the CanLyme forum of a substantial constructive discussion on a controversial topic where people treat each other, and their opinions, with respect and they don't start bickering:

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Thu 15 Jan 2009 16:47

I agree!

Also brings up another topic for me-Which supplement companies to trust?

Supplements were available to buy from my LLMD-and I trusted her judgement on quality of product. I did not want to be spending money on an inferior product.

I perceived her motive to be that she wanted her patients to get what they were paying for-so she researched supplements and made available the one's she trusted.

Now whether she made money selling supplements I do not know.(but probably there was some small profit involved).

Still I appreciated not having to go shopping all around and I did get mine from her while I was in treatment.
Now I just go to The Vitamin Shoppe and buy generic.

A lot of people trust Dr. B-and I don't know if his motive is to ensure that people are not getting duped by inferior products, or that he needs the profit, too-he is after all not practicing anymore.

So what's the primary motive- best care for patients or profit?? Maybe again it's a win win situation.
I certainly would trust one of my docs (although I'm naive in some ways) over a friend in church selling supplements who only takes the word of the company she is selling for.
Martha Washington

newlylymie

Post by newlylymie » Thu 15 Jan 2009 20:12

[quote="Cobwebby"]Every one thinks their opinion is right-so this is a win win thread.

So true!....so can I have my own thread for my opinions only?? (just joshing!) I really do enjoy reading everyone's opinions/discussions...most enlightening.

Cobby,

As far as supplements go...it really is a jungle out there! So much stuff that is really just a waste of money and sometimes, as in Martin's case with the "MMS"-like supplement he was unknowingly taking, a danger to out bodies as well as our bank accounts.

I also trust my LLMD's recommendations...she seems to have done a lot of research on finding the purest supps.

I have one personal recommendation for anyone that takes Melatonin. I have tried many, many kinds (including my doc's), but I found that "Source Naturals" work amazingly well for me. Just an incredible difference than other brands. (The difference being no sleep vs a good night's sleep). I found them at my local "Roots" store (it's like a small Whole Foods)...so they are probably available at many health food stores.

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Fri 16 Jan 2009 3:27

newlylymie wrote:I have one personal recommendation for anyone that takes Melatonin. I have tried many, many kinds (including my doc's), but I found that "Source Naturals" work amazingly well for me. Just an incredible difference than other brands. (The difference being no sleep vs a good night's sleep). I found them at my local "Roots" store (it's like a small Whole Foods)...so they are probably available at many health food stores.
Also keep in mind that, with melatonin, less is better. Too high of doses can increase symptoms of insomnia. One milligram is optimal. I buy whatever brand is cheapest at the grocery or drug store ... and one bottle now lasts me forever, as I rarely suffer from insomnia anymore.

Knock on wood. :bonk:

As for my opinions ... well, I always end up pissing someone off, due to my distrust in doctors of all kinds. Dice, anyone?

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 16 Jan 2009 16:34

Melatonin was a no go for me- gave me nightmares too horrific to think about. So I gave up-maybe it was the brand and/or dose (which I dont remember).

Anyway, I need to get off this Ambien-so thanks for the info on melatonin.
Martha Washington

minitails2

Post by minitails2 » Sat 17 Jan 2009 4:21

Since this is the opinion thread....

I think we could learn (any of us), in a holistic fashion, what makes some websites more or less bickersome. It sounds like Canlyme might be a good one to study. Things like rules, moderator behavior, acceptable poster behavior, the list could go on and on. Just my opinion. We can often learn to be more successful by watching successful behavior.

LE, thanks for letting us know of your dislike of all doctors. Now your opinions about certain doctors are more understandable. Thank you for your honesty.

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Sat 17 Jan 2009 22:46

Mini, I don't think anyone who has experienced what I have would continue to keep faith in the medical community. All the same, thanks for your understanding.