LymeNUT moment of the month

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.
Martian

LymeNUT moment of the month

Post by Martian » Sun 30 Jan 2011 1:33

Source: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... 601#000001
Posted by onbam (Member # 23758) on 01-29-2011 03:10 AM:

And now they create a Lyme Anne Frank...give a personal face to the Holocaust.

These mother####ers need to be sued into the next universe.
WTF?! :shock:

Been reading a few other posts from "onbam" and have to say, this utter nut makes regular nuts look sane.

Camp Other

Re: LymeNUT moment of the month

Post by Camp Other » Sat 5 Mar 2011 7:46

Follow onbam's links in their sig - if you dare - it might make sense of it. Or not.

The thread degeneration that has happened here is quite something to behold:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... c/1/104591

I'm sorry, if you can't back your claims with solid evidence - and you take a series of separate events and string them together to create relationships which are only clear to you and not proven - on a scale of 1-10 your credibility quickly approaches 0.

LymeH

Re: LymeNUT of the Year

Post by LymeH » Sat 5 Mar 2011 17:18

http://relative-risk.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -hats.html
28 February 2011

Time for the tinfoil hats

I may have been wrong when I wrote back in November 2009 that the denizens of the online forum, LymeNut, were unable to detect craziness among themselves. Apparently, one or two of them can. Case in point: one deeply disturbed woman posted the following concern about the alleged communicability of B. burgdorferi.

I think I just gave a janitor Lyme--disposed of biohazards in bathroom trashcan
Onbam, Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23758
posted 06-16-2010 01:16 AM
So for the past week I've been, when using the public bathroom at my school, covering the toilet with saran wrap (to reduc aerosol) before flushing and then disposing of it in the trash can. That was irresponsible of me (not sealing it in an additional bag first or something), and one of the janitors tonight may have simply reached in the trash bag and removed 3 flushes' worth of saran wrap, one of which would have still been wet, with his bare hands. I told the custodial supervisor about lyme, what had happened, etc, and he said he let the appropriate authorities know.

Yuke! Still later in the night when the rational are at rest….

[ 06-16-2010, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: onbam ]
….no, I've been using saran wrap to cover the toilet before flushing because i read that an aerosol can transmit lyme. I was then throwing the saran wrap (which would have gotten used toilet water on it from the flushing of the toilet) in the bathroom trash, assuming that it wouldn't be touched and would just be disposed of when the bag was changed. I'll be sealing it in a separate bag from now on.

The MSD sheet, an official document easily found with a google search, states that an aerosol can spread it. A chapter from the WWII-era book Japan's Secret Weapon, available on lymecryme.com, documents that this property was taken advantage of in biological warfare as far back as the 30's.

(So basically, I saran wrap toilets before I flush, let them stand for 10 minutes after, then spray them with bleach--NOT WITH URINE IN, THOUGH. that will make mustard gas--let that stand, then flush the out again. OCD? Who knows? Toilets do produce aerosols, though nobody to my knowledge has gotten sick from one.)

Double yuke! Mustard gas from urine?? This woman definitely spends way too much time in public bathrooms and not enough time on a locked ward. So what’s the reaction to this kind of looniness from the members of LymeNut? Mostly silence, but one poster did write the following:

“I am just going to be frank with you about this. I think you need to see a psychiatrist because based on your posts, you seem to be ruminating beyond what would be considered "normal...."

Yet a year or so later, she’s still worried about urine-soaked spirochetes flying through the air to infect the unsuspecting masses at a proposed Lyme rally in May. Here’s the topic she posted on February 27, 2011:

“How to eliminate the biohazard at a Lyme disease protest?”

But before too many people could read anymore about this urine aerosol nonsense, someone at LymeNut had it deleted, leaving only this message: “You have requested a topic that does not exist!”

Gone but not forgotten.

Public health officials, scientists, and academic experts spend a great deal of time countering the claims, arguments, anecdotes and outright lies of Lyme disease activists and their quack doctors. For reporters and politicians, the effort often seems like just a second opinion among two equally valid interpretations of medical care. Perhaps instead of presenting rational argument, scientific data and evidence-based medicine, scientists and physicians should rely more on the words of Lyme activists and patients. Reason, stats, data, and evidence sometimes may be lost on the media and the pols, but crazy is self evident.

And nothing says crazy like the personal beliefs and actions of the Lyme disease community. I can’t think of any better ammunition to use against these people than their own claims about Lyme disease being a government bioweapon; their fears of urine aerosols or leaving their houses, or having their phones and computers tapped and hacked; their use of detox footbaths and electromagnetic devices from the 1930’s; coffee enemas and herbal diets; fears of cellphones and their effects on Lyme infections; and their creepy fascination with flatulence, stool consistencies, mucus and other bodily functions that have nothing to do with a possible Lyme infection.

So never mind rational argument and debate; instead, mine the Internet for activists’ beliefs and present that to the public and the press. Science may be hard to see, but crazy is right there in your face, jumping up and down, screaming for attention.
However, some of the activists are getting their irrational and crazy ideas from their licensed medical professionals.

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Sat 5 Mar 2011 18:41

In my latest attempts to tell them that their indulgence in conspiracy theories is going to give the media and public the ongoing idea that they are not stable or credible, I was brushed off with the comment of their not caring what others think because they know the truth.

I think it escaped their minds that if they know the truth and no one else believes them because they have no credibility, that there is no point to knowing what they know... If they want to press charges against any person or agency, no one will take their case.

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Mon 7 Mar 2011 6:44

I've just explained the same thing I've said above, elsewhere, again.

I want to know the truth as much as the next person, I want to get well, and I want to get on with my life.

And I genuinely want all Lyme patients to be treated with respect and for them to get well, too - without having to face more ridicule from the press and hearing things like the above.

It isn't right. There's no compassion in it, and everyone is painted with the same paintbrush... You, me, my friends, my relative with Lyme disease, and many people I don't even know who are here, on LymeNet, and worldwide.

Maybe I'm trying too hard. I can't do everything, or research everything. And yet, I've held on to the idea if the community could make an air-tight argument supporting science, we'd all be in a better place.

Perhaps I should take my focus off of trying to look at every topic and return to looking more at Borrelia and microbiology - which is what the focus of my blog is.

5vforest

Re: LymeNUT of the Year

Post by 5vforest » Mon 14 Mar 2011 7:44

onbam wrote:
So for the past week I've been, when using the public bathroom at my school.
Jesus god, I hope she's not a teacher. :o

And by the way, the saga continues.

Watch as sparkle7 suggests to a potential Lyme patient that the serious psychiatric issues she is experiencing may be due to "electromagnetic harassment" by the government.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultima ... c/1/105162

Might get deleted (and I thoroughly expect to be banned) so I uploaded an html archive here: http://rapidshare.com/files/452454275/sparkle7.html

:bonk: When will the craziness stop?

EDIT: Oh no, look what I found at the bottom of a page that sparkle7 "cited": "A footnote for my fellow Christians..." [and an image of Jesus on the cross]

I guess it only makes sense that if they're imagining being electromagnetically harassed, they also believe that Jesus died for our sins. Who knows, maybe she'll tell us next that the world is ending this year, 2011.

LymeH

Re: LymeNut Fears Death Threat on Dr. Jones

Post by LymeH » Wed 6 Apr 2011 4:44

RR commented on the Jones article http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/ ... ren-saved/

“I’m 82. They’re looking for bankruptcy or death or both,” Jones said.
The LymeNut bent - it may be a death threat against Dr. Jones (Dr. J).
This is topic Possible death threat against Dr. J? in forum Medical Questions at LymeNet Flash.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... c/1/106004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by onbam (Member # 23758) on 04-05-2011 09:12 PM04-05-2011 09:12 PM:

http://relative-risk.blogspot.com/

http://img9.imageshack.us/content_round ... ia=mupload

This was public. Now it's more public.
I sure as **** hope this is nothing.

[ 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: onbam ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Lymetoo (Member # 743) on 04-05-2011 10:17 PM04-05-2011 10:17 PM:

I think he/she just means that Dr J is getting old.

Can't see the second link. No way I'm putting my email address there.

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Thu 7 Apr 2011 3:19

I saw the original article, but not RR's post. I took Dr. Jones to mean that he thought his detractors were waiting for him to go bankrupt from the legal battles or die of natural causes. It didn't occur to me to take it any other way, and Dr. Jones is known for his own brand of feisty dry humor.