Herxing Question

For everything that is related to Lyme and/or Lymeland, but doesn't fit in the other forums. Speak your mind, connect, ask help, etc.
precious007

Herxing Question

Post by precious007 » Fri 27 Apr 2012 12:50

I'm confused and had to ask -

I've read this on another thread -
"A herx can last a few hours to a few days to sometimes more. Everyone has different symptoms but the ones I experienced were extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, major brain fog, back and chest pain, difficulty standing, equilibrium off balance, extreme light headedness and shortness of breath.
These are symptoms I'm having on daily basis, especially when stress catches up, I don't take antibiotics, does that mean I'm always herxing, lol?

And first of all, and I'm amazed that the above quote came from Chris. That means that Chris doesn't know what a herx reaction is - I'm sorry. Even wikipedia is wrong when it comes to Herx reaction definition.

Herxing does not mean you're killing the bacteria - Herxing is a simple inflammatory reaction to the antibiotics.

Below is a transcript from nih.gov
""The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction (JHR) is a syndrome observed after antimicrobial treatment of some infectious diseases.

The syndrome has clinical characteristics of an inflammatory reaction to antibiotic treatment.

A prospective study of patients with a clinical and laboratory diagnosis of syphilis was conducted at a sexually transmitted diseases clinic in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Patients were treated with benzathine penicillin and observed for the JHR.

A total of 115 patients were included in this study. Fifty-one patients (44%) had secondary syphilis; 37 (32%), primary; 26 (23%), latent; and one (1%), tertiary syphilis.

Ten patients (9%) developed the JHR.

All JHRs occurred in patients with secondary and latent syphilis.

No patients experienced an allergic reaction to penicillin.

The JHR occurred less frequently than in previous studies.

It is important that health-care professionals recognize the clinical characteristics of the JHR so that it is not misinterpreted as an allergic reaction to penicillin.""
Alex