Health Tip: Relief From Carpal Tunnel

Topics with scientific, medical or general health related information and discussion that is not specifically related to Lyme disease.
Yvonne

Health Tip: Relief From Carpal Tunnel

Post by Yvonne » Sun 11 Jan 2009 19:57

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=95413
HealthDay News) -- Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. The result may be pain, weakness or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm.

Some patients are born with an unusually narrow carpal tunnel, which means they're at higher risk. Other contributing factors include trauma or injury to the wrist, an overactive pituitary gland, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, work stress or repeated use of vibrating hand tools.

Anti-inflammatory drugs can ease the pain and swelling, while stretching and strengthening exercises can be helpful in people whose symptoms have abated. Surgery may be necessary if symptoms last for six months
Listen to all,
plucking a feather from every passing goose,
but follow no one absolutely

LymeEnigma

Re: Health Tip: Relief From Carpal Tunnel

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 13 Jan 2009 0:26

I recommend a wrist brace for anyone who gets carpal tunnel issues. I've found that a few days of rest is usually enough to take away the pain (I'll wear the brace to bed, when it gets really bad), and using a brace when typing significantly reduces the frequency of flares.

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Tue 13 Jan 2009 21:55

For my daughter the brace didn't help.
Listen to all,
plucking a feather from every passing goose,
but follow no one absolutely

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Thu 15 Jan 2009 17:05

I have a similar problem with "trigger thumb". I was scheduled for surgery, but cancelled it when I found out I had lyme disease-so I wore a splint for months and months-and eventually the pain and swelling subsided.

However, now that I am back at work, trigger fingers seem to be aggravated again-so to stave off anymore discussions of surgery, I am wearing special hand gloves during the day, and splints at night. I also take advil.

Even when and if the pain subsides I plan to keep wearing the gloves during the day-so the condition does not return.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Fri 16 Jan 2009 3:09

Many months ago, my carpal tunnel inflammation got so bad that I thought the pain would never subside. Sure enough, after weeks of wearing my brace religiously, all eventually went back to normal ... knock on wood.