Could Depression Actually Be a Form of Infectious Disease?

Topics with scientific, medical or general health related information and discussion that is not specifically related to Lyme disease.
phyfe

Post by phyfe » Tue 18 Nov 2014 18:30

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... ceDaily%29
Date: November 14, 2014

Source: Stony Brook University

Summary: Major depressive disorder (MDD) should be re-conceptualized as an infectious disease, according to a professor. A new article suggests that major depression may result from parasitic, bacterial, or viral infection. The article presents examples that illustrate possible pathways by which these microorganisms could contribute to the etiology of MDD.
See full article at the above link.

Wouldn't this burst the pharmacy industries` antidepressants bubble?

jjs

Re: Could Depression Actually Be a Form of Infectious Diseas

Post by jjs » Wed 19 Nov 2014 4:42

Wouldn't that be ironic given depression seems to be the go to diagnosis for infectious disease doctors when they can't figure something out. I think at this time the only clear thing about depression and anxiety is we do not know a lot about what the underlying causes are. I saw a recent study on mice where they had a control group and another group genetically deprived of serotonin. The mice without serotonin appeared to show no signs of depression which seems to throw into question the role of serotonin levels in causing depression. Perhaps low serotonin is just another symptom as opposed to the cause, that would explain why SSRI medications like Prozac seem to be only moderately successful in treating depression.

ChronicLyme19

Re: Could Depression Actually Be a Form of Infectious Diseas

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Thu 27 Nov 2014 16:38

jjs wrote:I think at this time the only clear thing about depression and anxiety is we do not know a lot about what the underlying causes are.
Well said. I agree that infections definitely can cause some cases of depression. I know that was certainly the case for me, but I suspect as with all mental health diagnosis that there can be multiple causes of them, and the diagnoses are just groupings of symptoms. They are just symptom spectrums.

I'm glad infections are being recognized as one of the causes. I know after my case, my psychiatrist now has started testing patients that start showing mental health issues of of the blue for lyme. Several have come back positive and their mental health issues resolve with antibiotic treatment. :)
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?