Four healthy habits may give 14 more years: study

Topics with scientific, medical or general health related information and discussion that is not specifically related to Lyme disease.
cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 17 Jan 2008 15:53

"Long before it's in the papers"
January 08, 2008

RETURN TO THE WORLD SCIENCE HOME PAGE

Jan. 8, 2008
Courtesy PLoS Biology
and World Science staff

Peo­ple who adopt four healthy habits seem to live on av­er­age 14 years long­er than those who adopt none of them, a new study in­di­cates.

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/ ... health.htm

The habits are not smok­ing, ex­er­cis­ing, drink­ing al­co­hol in modera­t­ion and eat­ing five serv­ings of fruit and veg­eta­bles dai­ly.

Kay-Tee Khaw and col­leagues from the Un­ivers­ity of Cam­bridge and the Med­i­cal Re­search Coun­cil in the U.K. stud­ied records of 20,000 old­er Brit­ish adults who had filled out health ques­tion­naires be­tween 1993 and 1997.

Af­ter fac­tor­ing in age, the re­search­ers found that over an av­er­age of 11 years, peo­ple who un­der­took none of the four health habits were four times more likely to have died than those who adopted all four. Peo­ple in this less healthy group had on av­er­age the same risk of dy­ing as peo­ple 14 years old­er in the se­c­ond group, the re­search­ers said.

The par­ti­ci­pants were aged 45 to 79 when they filled out the ques­tion­naires. Deaths among the par­ti­ci­pants were recorded un­til 2006. Mod­er­ate drink­ing was de­fined as be­tween one-half and sev­en pints of beer, or glass­es of wine, week­ly.

The study formed part of the Eu­ro­pe­an Pro­spec­tive In­ves­ti­ga­t­ion in­to Can­cer and Nu­tri­tion, con­ducted across ten Eu­ro­pe­an coun­tries, billed as the larg­est study of di­et and health ev­er un­der­taken.

The find­ings need to be con­firmed in oth­er popula­t­ions, but the re­sults “strongly sug­gest that these four achiev­a­ble lifestyle changes could have a marked im­prove­ment on the health of middle-a­ged and old­er peo­ple,” the re­search­ers said in an an­nounce­ment of the find­ings. The re­search ap­peared on­line Jan. 8 in the re­search jour­nal PLoS Bi­ol­o­gy.

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/ ... health.htm

[cave note: Does it count if I did 3 out of four until I got Lyme? Then the exercise went bye bye. ] :mrgreen:

Joe Ham

Re: Four healthy habits may give 14 more years: study

Post by Joe Ham » Wed 6 Feb 2008 21:32

cave76

Re: Four healthy habits may give 14 more years: study

Post by cave76 » Thu 7 Feb 2008 0:52

LOL

Yeah, well except for the hairy body---- that's how I've felt some days with my added years. :)