Designer label Placebos

Topics with scientific, medical or general health related information and discussion that is not specifically related to Lyme disease.
minitails2

Designer label Placebos

Postby minitails2 » Wed 5 Mar 2008 13:49

An interesting article from Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080304/hl_nm/placebos_dc

Expensive sugar pills work better than cheap ones

Tue Mar 4, 4:02 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Want a sugar pill to work really well? Charge more for it.

A study published on Tuesday shows the well-known "placebo effect" works even better if the dummy pill costs more.

Dan Ariely, a behavioral economist at Duke University in North Carolina, and colleagues at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology tested 82 volunteers.

All got a light electric shock and were offered what they were told was a painkiller.

Half were given a brochure describing the pill as a newly approved painkiller that cost $2.50 per dose and half were given a brochure describing it as marked down to 10 cents.

Writing in a letter to the Journal of the American Medical Association, Ariely and colleagues said the effects were unexpectedly strong.

Eighty-five percent of volunteers who thought they were getting a $2.50 pill said they felt less pain after taking it, compared with 61 percent of those who thought they were getting a discounted drug.

The results fit with other studies that show charging more for something makes people value it more. But Ariely said the combination with the placebo effect was especially interesting.

"The placebo effect is one of the most fascinating, least harnessed forces in the universe," Ariely said in a statement.

The word placebo comes from the Latin word for "I shall please." Placebos, or sugar pills, are routinely used in trials of new drugs to see if they really work.

"How do we give people cheaper medication, or a generic, without them thinking it won't work?" Ariely asked.

(Reporting by Maggie Fox, editing by Will Dunham)

(Bolded text is mine)

I guess this isn't suprising, but I think it shows that we all have the power to make some changes with regard to drug prices but we need to change our attitudes first. Just my opinion. :geek:
Last edited by minitails2 on Sat 8 Mar 2008 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Ham

Re: Designer lable Placebos

Postby Joe Ham » Wed 5 Mar 2008 21:00

Double post, sorry.
Last edited by Joe Ham on Wed 5 Mar 2008 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Ham

Postby Joe Ham » Wed 5 Mar 2008 21:03

Hey TinyButt, ---- oops, it's minitails2 now so I guess the nickname of TinyButt, TB, is history. So maybe it should be something more befitting of your new stature, like maybe "BB"? :lol:

You wrote:
" A study published on Tuesday shows the well-known "placebo effect" works even better if the dummy pill costs more. "

How true, and it seems that it also works better if it is promoted as a "Double Strength Placebo". Consider the miraculous effect of the double whammy of both double cost and double strength placebos.

The effect on establishment medicine would be devastating. Alternative practitioners would take over the whole of medicine and Hulda Clark, who already advertises "a cure for all diseases", would be able to claim that she can cure not only all current diseases but also all diseases that have not even been discovered yet.

However there may be a safety issue here. It is well known that some patients are more sensitive than others. The problem of the 'super sensitive' patient would have to be solved before seeking FDA approval. The public would not stand for post marketing reports of poor outcomes such as severe allergic reactions resulting in death.

Precautions and patient screening would be mandatory to insure that each patient received just the right strength at just the right price. That would guarantee both the maximum placebo effect for the patient and the maximum profit for the health practitioner.

The most obviously effective screening test would be muscle testing using many bottles of sugar pills labeled with both both strength and price. The patient himself would choose the most effective combination and therefore would feel emPOWered and could not claim any medical malpractice because he had been given the wrong medicine.

There are still some issues to be worked out here, for example the proper form of placebo suppositories for those so inclined. Maybe we could get some advice from Dr Kinderlehrer. He seems to have worked out the detailz of trans-rectal and trans-vaginal ozone already.

There is also the possible complication of administering sugar pills to diabetics. Obviously some other placebo material should be used --- maybe capsules of ground Nuts.

Porky

LymeEnigma

Postby LymeEnigma » Thu 6 Mar 2008 19:52

The most obviously effective screening test would be muscle testing using many bottles of sugar pills labeled with both both strength and price. The patient himself would choose the most effective combination and therefore would feel emPOWered and could not claim any medical malpractice because he had been given the wrong medicine.

There are still some issues to be worked out here, for example the proper form of placebo suppositories for those so inclined. Maybe we could get some advice from Dr Kinderlehrer. He seems to have worked out the detailz of trans-rectal and trans-vaginal ozone already.

There is also the possible complication of administering sugar pills to diabetics. Obviously some other placebo material should be used --- maybe capsules of ground Nuts.

LOL!

minitails2

Re: Designer label Placebos

Postby minitails2 » Sat 8 Mar 2008 12:14

Hey Porky,
The first "B" in BB no doubt stands for beautiful, hmmmm? Did I mention my arm can reach 800 miles away???

I like your idea for improving health care world wide (keep it to yourself, piggy boy). Perhaps the cheaper sugar pills could be from the common sugar beet, and the expensive sugar pills manufactured from cane sugar, which is so rarely grown anymore. Perhaps the current presidential candidates should be given the opportunity to adopt this new health plan.

I do think, though, we should rethink the "nuts" for diabetics as many, these days, are allergic to peanuts in particular, and nuts, while plentiful, are expensive. What about corn starch or cream of tarter?

Anyone needing something to enter "below deck" do need some consideration. Since the double expensive placebo pills would be in the neighborhood anyway, why not just use fiber pills. :o

I appreciate your desire to change the health care system for the better but more importantly, if you see Minitails1, would you please tell her I want my old butt back. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Health”