To LNE members that may be unaware of this forum feature

Here you can give feedback about (the working of) this board, like problems, questions, remarks, suggestions and praise.
Claudia

To LNE members that may be unaware of this forum feature

Post by Claudia » Mon 3 Sep 2012 3:49

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible.
I've been a member of LNE for almost 5 years and didn't even realize or notice this option was available: it was recently brought to my attention that there is a User Control Panel feature that allows members to "Manage foes," i.e. those posters that relentlessly badger, stalk, hijack and derail conversations, are rude and abusive, etc. and because of this behavior have caused you to personally lose interest in engaging with them, and might even be considering no longer participating in the forum.

I have been using this feature and it has helped make reading the threads and following the conversations a lot more interesting and all around enjoyable.

So, before abandoning LNE because of a real or perceived antagonism, consider using this option. On each ignored post you are given the option to display and read it if you so choose, or after taking a temporary break from the offending party's posts without having to completely leave the forum, you can undo the ignore.

Spanky

Re: To LNE members that may be unaware of this forum feature

Post by Spanky » Mon 3 Sep 2012 17:42

"Claudia":
"...that there is a User Control Panel feature that allows members to "Manage foes," i.e. those posters that relentlessly badger, stalk, hijack and derail conversations, are rude and abusive, etc. and because of this behavior have caused you to personally lose interest in engaging with them, and might even be considering no longer participating in the forum".
Like this? Notice that this poster uses particularly offensive religious imagery and not only refuses to apologize...doesn't even have the common courtesy to respond to attempts to smooth over the difficulty.
Claudia"
Spanky, did I miss an announcement here? Have you been anointed pontiff or promoted to cruise director of this thread? Is there a Spanky Peer-Review process in place prior to posting that I am not aware of?

Spanky: Beg your pardon?

I think that I am asking questions...as you seemed to indicate was appropriate. You did post this, did you not? Inviting comment?

If I have done this in a way that has given offense, somehow, then I would appreciate your telling me how I have done so, so that I can apologize properly.

phyfe

Post by phyfe » Fri 18 Jan 2013 3:15

Thanks Claudia! ;)

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Mon 11 Mar 2013 0:55

Just another reminder of this valuable feature; you can avoid being distracted by any poster you find consistently unhelpful, by putting them on your "foes" list. I have several people on mine; it really cleans up threads that otherwise are cluttered with jarring distractions. You can always click on the person's name in the "place holder" post that appears in the thread, and the full post will immediately become visible.
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman