Searching LNE

Here you can give feedback about (the working of) this board, like problems, questions, remarks, suggestions and praise.
Joe Ham

Searching LNE

Post by Joe Ham » Thu 14 Feb 2008 20:25

The search engine on phpBB is not one of the best so if you really need to find something on this board that you know is here you can use a workaround with Google.

It is the 'site search' function and it is entered thus:

site:=http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/ search term

Note there is no space after the '='
but there is a space before the search term.

You can enclose a multi-word term in quotes if you want to search for only that phrase.

For example using "education resources" as the search term will find only the thread: Physician Education Resources.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Searching LNE

Post by admin » Thu 14 Feb 2008 21:18

Joe Ham wrote:The search engine on phpBB is not one of the best so if you really need to find something on this board that you know is here you can use a workaround with Google.

It is the 'site search' function and it is entered thus:

site:=http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/ search term
It seems you have not noticed this Google Site Search of LNE: http://www.lymeneteurope.org/services/search.html

It is also directly accessible via the search box in the forum header, and at the home page.
You can enclose a multi-word term in quotes if you want to search for only that phrase.

For example using "education resources" as the search term will find only the thread: Physician Education Resources
Yeah, unfortunately you can't do that with the forum search function.

It's important to be able to find information back. But the forum search function indeed has it's limitations. Searching with Google often works better, that why I included the Google site search box.

But the forum search function can do things that the Google Site Search can't do, like searching on authors, searching on partial matches, and choose where to search in (sub-forum, post title, etc.).

And the forum search function includes all posts, while Google must have got the pages indexed first.

So I would say: both search methods are complementary to each other.

Joe Ham

Post by Joe Ham » Thu 14 Feb 2008 22:56

Admin wrote,
***It seems you have not noticed this Google Site Search of LNE:
http://www.lymeneteurope.org/services/search.html ***

That is the page that I get whenever I use the search bar at the top of the pages but then it doesn't do anything, just keeps coming back to the same page with a blank entry field. I was using my default browser Safari v 1.0.3 at the time.

However when I use iCab just now almost everything seems to work well. Too bad, I like Safari because it's so lean and mean and FAST. I only switch to iCab when I want to save a page because it saves the source url.

***But the forum search function can do things that the Google Site Search can't do, like searching on authors, searching on partial matches, and choose where to search in (sub-forum, post title, etc.). ***

I can't seem to find the 'advanced" search and I would like the ability to restrict searches as you say, to authors, title, sub-forum. Maybe I need yet another freakin' browser. (Don't you dare say "Microsoft"! Ha!)

Or maybe it was an IO error (Idiot Operator) and there needs to be a little more intelligence at my keyboard.

Thanks for the explanation, Martian.

Joe

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue 19 Feb 2008 17:12

Joe Ham wrote:However when I use iCab just now almost everything seems to work well. Too bad, I like Safari because it's so lean and mean and FAST. I only switch to iCab when I want to save a page because it saves the source url.
I don't know why it doesn't work with your Safari. Perhaps you have some settings that blocks javascripts.

With Internet Exlorer 7 (IE7) and FireFox 2 (FF2) it works mine with me.
Joe Ham wrote:I can't seem to find the 'advanced" search and I would like the ability to restrict searches as you say, to authors, title, sub-forum. Maybe I need yet another freakin' browser.
In the top forum navigation bar, on the right, you should see a Search link, which links to http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/search.php

Do you see that link in the nav. bar?

I recommend FireFox, and I don't recommend IE. (which is also the webmaster's nightmare).

stf

Post by stf » Fri 22 Aug 2008 18:30

There is also a problem with "common words":
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: roxithromycin.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
Do you think this is good that we can't search for just "roxithromycin"? What makes the word "common"?

There aren't so many occurences of "roxithromycin" in this forum, are there.

STF

admin
Site Admin

Searching LNE - improved forum search regarding common words

Post by admin » Thu 11 Dec 2008 17:26

stf wrote:There is also a problem with "common words":
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: roxithromycin.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
Do you think this is good that we can't search for just "roxithromycin"? What makes the word "common"?
Common words were words which are contained in a percentage greater than 5% of all posts. Common words were ignored in search queries. There was indeed a shortcoming, being that certain not so common words were also regarded as "common", just because they were rather common amongst the first few hundred posts. Once a word was regarded as "common", it never got rid of this "stigma". :)

Today I have made changes to the forum search function. You can now also search for common words. So you can search for example for a very common word like "Lyme" and get thousands of matches.

But there is still a limited amount of words that are ignored by default by the database software: so-called stopwords. This is the list: Full-Text Stopwords.

The requirement for a search query: You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 84 characters excluding wildcards.

Note: for many searches, the Google Site Search function works very well too, or even better.

If you often use the search functions, you will learn to appreciate good descriptive topic titles. It will show you why it is so important to choose topic titles that are indicative of what the topic is about and why it is helpful to start a new topic when a thread is turning too much off topic. Note that you can also change the subject title of replies in order to better specify the content.

I will continue to improve both search functions, because searching is a very important aspect of an informative board where an increasing amount of great info is collected.