Dr. Willy Burgdorfer- in his own words - Moment of discovery

Topics with information and discussion about published studies related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Spanky

Re: Dr. Willy Burgdorfer- in his own words - Moment of disco

Post by Spanky » Wed 28 Mar 2012 4:23

"migs":
Somebody is a little wounded. Don't worry, perhaps you will have a recalcitrant and controversial infection named after you someday.
Yes, well...thanks for dropping by to share that. That's certainly helpful...:roll:

On the other hand, this is, in my opinion, a serious question which I would like to hear the answer to also...I am tired of hearing about the supposed government spooks, men-in-black, handlers of Burgdorfer.

If Wilson has evidence that dramatic...why on earth doesn't he produce it?

(From the 'RR" piece quoted above):

"Just as we began filming, there was a pounding on the door, and we found ourselves facing someone who turned out to be a top researcher at the nearby Rocky Mountain Laboratories, a biolevel-4 NIH research facility. Standing on the porch, our uninvited guest said, “I’ve been told that I need to supervise this interview. This comes from the highest levels. There are things that Willy can’t talk about.”

We were stunned".

RR:
Me too. "From the highest levels?" What B-movie melodrama. I was especially stunned after talking to my colleague during the IOM Lyme workshop who just happened to be the above mentioned “top researcher” and who, by the way, doesn’t work in a BSL-4 lab…and has no access to one. He was quite surprised and outraged about the nonsense suggested above and still can’t figure out why such a claim was made. But as has been mentioned in the past, Wilson and company can clear it all up by releasing the three hours of taped interviews with Willy. Think they’ll do that?

Bagge

Post by Bagge » Wed 28 Mar 2012 16:13

Hypothetically speaking of course, suppose someone were to produce a film about a legitimate medical illness, but portray that illness using false or grossly exaggerated and misleading statements of death from such illness, or false statements about researchers suffering from complete and total memory loss thus unable to substantiate their findings about the severity or causes of such illness, or mythical tales of government spies descending into people's private homes in an attempt to silence retired researchers from speaking publicly.

Are all films considered as merely entertainment mediums or would the use of the "documentary" description attached to the film and participation and filming of licensed medical 'professionals' force some accountability for accuracy of reporting in the filming?

When does a film exceed the "entertainment" label? Could someone make a film about HIV/AIDS, call it a "documentary" and claim that 'most people' believe HIV/AIDS is really caused by invisible dainty fairy dust falling from the sky, and call it a government conspiracy, or blame the illness on Big Pharma, or the IDSA?

I would like to listen to the entire Dr. Burgdorfer interview. It should be posted online. How about another YouTube video?

Joanne60

Post by Joanne60 » Sun 6 Jan 2013 11:10

I am not sure if this has been posted - it is difficult to understand all he says but still worth listening to My Lyme Disease Interview with Dr. Willy Burgdorfer by Gary Engelman https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... IG-cRjHM#!

RobertF

Post by RobertF » Tue 8 Jan 2013 22:54

All credits go to Willy, although was it such a spectacular finding? He did his thesis about relapsing fever B.duttonnii in ticks. It was known that ticks habour many bacteria. The relationship between ticks and relapsing fever was allready made in 1904 bij Dutton, Cook, Ross
European literatur discribes already the relationship between EM and tickbite by Hellerström in 1930
So Willy knew from his work very well that ticks could be infected with spirochetes. I wondered why it took so long to detect the causativ agent. I think the problem was that nobody made the connection artritis and tickbite and there was poor understanding of the european literatur.
In 1968 a major outbreak of relapsing fever happend in Washington
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... eid=349714
How did he detect it? With darkfield and smear micoscopy. How is relapsing fever determined? with darkfield. How is syfilis confirmed ? with darkfield. Isn't it strange that this technique isn't widely used for Lyme?

I spoke to Prof. Rudolf Ackermann some years ago and he told me that he had found spirochetes in patients with meningitis after a tickbite. He ordered antisera of B.duttonii in London in order to see if the spirochetes he isolated matched. As the antisera arrived he also received the paper of Willy, so he was just a couple of months late.