Expanded Study Confirms Lyme May Be Sexually Transmitted

Topics with information and discussion about published studies related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
ChronicLyme19

Re: Expanded Study Confirms Lyme May Be Sexually Transmitted

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Sun 28 Dec 2014 18:13

I tend to agree with LHCTom. In theory, peer review is a great idea, but in reality, it's only as good as those doing the reviewing. Especially if those doing the reviewing are trying to skew evidence in their direction in order for them to secure new funding...

You may be able to generalize that papers in "more reputable journals" are on average probably going to be of better quality, but that doesn't mean that all papers published in lower journals are necessarily crappy either. I think the paper should be judged by it's content. Let the data speak for itself while keeping in mind any biases the authors might have.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?

cig

Post by cig » Fri 2 Jan 2015 17:57

Henry wrote:All should note that F1000 Research is one of those "publish first, review later -- if at all" -- type of on-line publications, that gives science a bad name. In other words, it will publish any kind of "crap", work that is unable to pass the test of rigorous peer-review required for a reputable scientific journal.
Speaking as a scientist, I and many of my colleagues find this approach to publication to be a good step forward.
Science should be transparent. The problem with peer review is that there is bias introduced by the editor and reviewer, who of course may have their own motives for accepting or denying a manuscript for publication. In a discipline as controversial as Lyme, it would seem very appropriate that the review process be made public.

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Mon 5 Jan 2015 16:09

Images are the raw data of
Scientific reports on human biology and Pathology.

Reviewers ...........NOT ALL ARE CREATED EQUAL
ALL REVIEWERS
As part of their "referee" status for the journals which choose them....

May or may not have IDEAL IMPARTIAL REVIEWER CREDENTIALS.

In this thread, the ideal Reviewer and the ideal Editor

Would have

"hands on" experience with:
1. Seminal fluids microscopic examination from a variety of subjects
2. Experience with the validation of MY molecular beacon DNA PROBe for Borrelia Flagellin B DNA
Which :
A, has been validated in 4 separate countries and found to be ABSOLUTELY SPECIFIC
FOR FISH STUDIES in human tissue with the hope of discovering Borrelia specific DNA SEQUENCES
IN HUMAN BODY FLUIDS AND IN GLASS SLIDE HISTOLOGICAL SECTIONS OF HUMAN SOLID TISSUES
FOLLOWING FORMALIN FIXATION, Paraffin embedding, and histology slide preparation.
B. Experience at the laboratory bench - hands on type with FISH. technique -

Practicing Hospital Pathologists are in the optimal position TO review the manuscript which is the subject of this thread.

I am a practicing Hospital Pathologist.
I personally am skilled I the execution of FISH methods to examine tissues.
I have personally examined hundreds of human seminal fluid specimens in support of the infertility clinic.

I am not a co-author of the manuscript in this thread.

In short , I and pathology colleagues like me, are Ideal reviewers of the F1000 manuscript

I have read the manuscript - the method section is sound- the image data are supportive - and the concludions of the authors are reasonable -
CONCLUSION OF PEER REVIEW

Respectfully submitted,
Alan B. MacDonald MD,FCAP
Jan 5, 2015

Henry

Post by Henry » Mon 5 Jan 2015 17:06

Note that Sam Donta reviewed and rejected the Middleveen et al. paper (http://f1000research.com/articles/3-309 ... le-reports ). Also please read the comments submitted in the discussion which provide an excellent perspective on the main issues. Just being able to find Borrelia in vaginal and seminal secretions -- a finding that remains to be confirmed-- does not necessarily prove that they cause disease.

TwiceBitten

Post by TwiceBitten » Mon 5 Jan 2015 17:22

Henry wrote:Note that Sam Donta reviewed and rejected the Middleveen et al. paper (http://f1000research.com/articles/3-309 ... le-reports ). Also please read the comments submitted in the discussion which provide an excellent perspective on the main issues. Just being able to find Borrelia in vaginal and seminal secretions -- a finding that remains to be confirmed-- does not necessarily prove that they cause disease.
No, it doesn't Henry. If you have been watching the news lately, a high impact crash into the ground from a high flying airplane does not necessarily cause death or injury, either. Should we do a study to prove that it may result in injury, before we warn people about the possible risks?

hv808ct

Post by hv808ct » Mon 5 Jan 2015 17:22

Post by inmacdonald » Mon 5 Jan 2015 16:09

In this thread, the ideal Reviewer and the ideal Editor Would have
…taken a course in epidemiology.

Henry

Post by Henry » Mon 5 Jan 2015 17:54

Twice Bitten: You don't make sense. Have you heard of Koch's postulates? Obviously, not since you appear to have no understanding of what is required to demonstrate that a microorganism causes disease. The same can be said of MacDonald's incoherent rant.

duncan

Post by duncan » Mon 5 Jan 2015 18:05

Henry, you might want to ask the same about the authors of the IDSA Lyme Guidelines. I wouldn't be surprised if you may receive answers from some people similar to the one you gave: Obviously not, since they appear to have little understanding of what is required to demonstrate that a microorganism (Bb) causes diseases (outside of very defined acute cases).

TwiceBitten

Post by TwiceBitten » Mon 5 Jan 2015 18:38

Henry wrote:Twice Bitten: You don't make sense. Have you heard of Koch's postulates? Obviously, not since you appear to have no understanding of what is required to demonstrate that a microorganism causes disease. The same can be said of MacDonald's incoherent rant.
Henry, you are a retired laboratory microbiologist, not a treating physician in charge of patient healthcare. There is a difference. Physicians should treat patient symptoms and be concerned for their overall health and well-being. You do not and are not. You insist on the use of Lyrica for these patients, and yet only offer one patient anecdote to support your view. As far as I know, there has never been a study done as to the effectiveness of Lyrica in treating post-infectious disease symptoms, or infectious disease symptoms.

Why do you require such certainty in all areas, including where patients are reporting that their symptoms are non-responsive to Lyrica and similar medications, and yet you insist and publish that patients should be treated with Lyrica anyway and based upon one published anecdote, one patient, of your choosing?

Henry, where is the data to support both the CDC and your expressed opinion that the treatment of PTLDS is best done in the same manner as Fibromyalgia, when the data and majority expert opinions compare PTLDS as being most similar to Guillian-Barre Syndrome, Reactive Arthritis, and Rheumatic Heart Disease - none of which carry a recommendation that they should be treated in the same manner as Fibromyalgia patients? http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... 608#p41109

Henry

Post by Henry » Mon 5 Jan 2015 19:10

Twice Bitten: What do all these extraneous issues have to do with the main point of this discussion, i.e., that the mere presence of Borrelia in vaginal and seminal secretions -- if such an observation can indeed be confirmed-- is sufficient evidence to indicate cause of disease? Tell me why that is so? The same can be said for Duncan's comments. When both of you are faced with the prospect that you might just be wrong and don't know what you are talking about, you simply evade the issue by changing the subject. Typical of a small mind at play. You speak of "certainty", what's wrong with asking someone who "claims" to find Borrelia in vaginal and seminal secretions to prove that they cause Lyme disease? Wasn't that the main point of the work? Let's not play games here. The work of Middleveen et al. proves NOTHING. Even Donta -- hardly a "fan" of the IDSA-- agrees that is the case.