Expanded Study Confirms Lyme May Be Sexually Transmitted

Topics with information and discussion about published studies related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
TwiceBitten

Re: Expanded Study Confirms Lyme May Be Sexually Transmitted

Post by TwiceBitten » Mon 5 Jan 2015 22:28

Martian wrote:I wonder why some people defend the publications and practices of the idiots and quacks who are amongst the so-called "llmds", no matter how questionable or right out ridiculous their findings, statements or conclusions are.

The conclusions in the study and the press release are a joke. This is pseudoscience, at best.

But one shouldn't expect better from "our friends" of the ILADS, who now have a history of over 10 years of idiocy and quackery and only going further downhill every year. Those who defend this are enablers of it.
Martian, so as to be clear, I do my best not defend idiots and quacks. Moreso, my opinion is that patients go to quacks because they are not being given adequate care or consideration from the non-quacks.

I would like to understand why certain individuals think that it is appropriate to publish healthcare guidance and opinion pieces, clearly with the expectation that treating physicians follow such guidance, and yet their guidance in some ways is as unsubstantiated and inadequate as that of some of the quacks. To that end, I started a new thread entitled, "Questions for Henry".

Henry

Post by Henry » Mon 5 Jan 2015 22:30

Get a grip on yourself, Duncan. It's a pilot study, remember, with results that appear promising. I never claimed it was "the last word", only that it suggests further study. Jeesh...............You really must get more rest, Duncan.

Martian

Post by Martian » Mon 5 Jan 2015 22:42

duncan wrote:Martian, if you are going in invoke pseudoscience, please tell me how this study is different from a Wormser study whose real effect - one might argue - is to simply impede competitive offerings? Is that more scientific?
Ignoratio elenchi

duncan

Post by duncan » Mon 5 Jan 2015 22:46

And miss all this fun?

I do not need sleep for this level of discourse, but thank you for the thought. ;)

That you think Lyrica is a promising treatment based on a population of only 10, possibly appropriate for thousands of patients who either suffer from persistent infection or dysfunctional immune systems, speaks to a disconnect from the patient experience. You seem too far removed from the sick, and the hardships and risks they face. A lot of people simply have no clue, and it's disheartening when I see that in either clinicians or researchers.

Now, use that as a prism to view this study about the possibility of Lyme being sexually transmitted.

Martian - I think I ordered that as an appetizer at an Italian restaurant I ate at last week.

Martian

Post by Martian » Mon 5 Jan 2015 22:52

duncan wrote:I think I ordered that as an appetizer at an Italian restaurant I ate at last week.
I think you are an enabler.

duncan

Post by duncan » Mon 5 Jan 2015 23:00

Good for you. You run with that and see how far it takes you.

Edited to add: BTW, could you please explain what qualifies me as an enabler, and what you think I am enabling? Are you one of those who believes anti-IDSA somehow must always equate to pro-ILADS?

Henry

Post by Henry » Tue 6 Jan 2015 0:42

Duncan: It's not the small population of 10 that matters. It's that 9 out of 10 treated patients experienced significant benefit after being treated with lyrica. My main point, if I can get it through your thick head, is that this preliminary finding should encourage more work to be done. However, as evidence by your willingness to accept the inconclusive work on sexually transmitted Lyme disease, I must keep in m ind that you know nothing about evidence-based research, even though you offer wild speculations on immunosuppressive mechanisms induced by TB co-infecting agents with absolutely no supporting evidence in that regard. I am not very fond of science fiction.

duncan

Post by duncan » Tue 6 Jan 2015 0:53

Henry, I did not say I "accept the inconclusive work on sexually transmitted Lyme disease,..." I did not say anything remotely close to that. You haven't a clue as to what I feel about this study, even though I've alluded to it more than once. So much for your powers of observation.

How can you speak to me about evidence-based anything, when you cannot read or understand what is right before your eyes?

You fall back on cliches, even as you demonstrate you haven't the skill set to practice what those cliches are meant to represent in a basic sentence.

I bet you really are a fan of science fiction, though, aren't you? ;)

velvetmagnetta

Post by velvetmagnetta » Tue 6 Jan 2015 3:56

Henry wrote:Duncan: It's not the small population of 10 that matters. It's that 9 out of 10 treated patients experienced significant benefit after being treated with lyrica. My main point, if I can get it through your thick head, is that this preliminary finding should encourage more work to be done. However, as evidence by your willingness to accept the inconclusive work on sexually transmitted Lyme disease, I must keep in m ind that you know nothing about evidence-based research, even though you offer wild speculations on immunosuppressive mechanisms induced by TB co-infecting agents with absolutely no supporting evidence in that regard. I am not very fond of science fiction.

Um...This study was done in 2005. It is now 2015. I don't know, 10 years may not be long enough to design and execute a follow-up study. But by now, some of those patients might be dead.

X-member

Post by X-member » Fri 13 Nov 2015 18:16

NorVect:
Sexual Transmission of Lyme disease

Research from Dr. Alan MacDonald supports the hypothesis of Lyme disease being a sexually transmitted disease. He has done an autopsy of a testicle belonging to a diseased patient with long term chronic Lyme disease suggesting that Lyme can be transmitted from male to female. See his results in the PDF below.
http://norvect.no/sexual-transmission-of-lyme-disease/