Winged scapula in lyme borreliosis

Topics with information and discussion about published studies related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
RitaA

Winged scapula in lyme borreliosis

Post by RitaA » Wed 9 Mar 2016 0:19

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26849378
Orthopade. 2016 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]

[Winged scapula in lyme borreliosis].

[Article in German]

Rausch V1, Königshausen M2, Gessmann J2, Schildhauer TA2, Seybold D2.

Author information

1 Chirurgische Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik, BG Universitätsklinikum Bergmannsheil, Bürkle-de-la-Camp-Platz 1, 44789, Bochum, Deutschland. valentin.rausch@bergmannsheil.de.
2 Chirurgische Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik, BG Universitätsklinikum Bergmannsheil, Bürkle-de-la-Camp-Platz 1, 44789, Bochum, Deutschland.

Abstract

Here we present the case of a young patient with one-sided winged scapula and lyme borreliosis. This disease can be very delimitating in daily life. If non-operative treatment fails, dynamic or static stabilization of the scapula can be a therapeutic option.

KEYWORDS:

Long thoracic nerve; Lyme disease; Neuroborreliosis; Scapula; Tick bite
PMID: 26849378 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Here's an earlier PubMed entry about winged scapula and Lyme borreliosis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18632291
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 Nov-Dec;17(6):e24-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2008.03.006. Epub 2008 Jul 15.

Operative treatment of a winged scapula due to peripheral nerve palsy in Lyme disease: a case report and review of the literature.

Bischel OE1, Hempfing A, Rickert M, Loew M.

Author information

1 Department of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Stiftung Orthopädische Universitätsklinik, Heidelberg, Germany.

PMID: 18632291 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
There's a bit (but not a lot) more to read here:

http://www.jshoulderelbow.org/article/S ... 1/abstract
Lyme disease can affect various organ systems and is caused by a bacterial infection with the spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi.16 The progress of the disease can be divided into stages by its time-related clinical manifestation. In stage 2 or 3, neurologic deficits are seen in up to 15% of the individuals.15 The clinical manifestations range from meningitis or encephalomyelitis to neuritis of peripheral or cranial nerves. Isolated palsies of cranial nerves are described more frequently compared with lesions of peripheral nerves.

ChronicLyme19

Re: Winged scapula in lyme borreliosis

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Sun 13 Mar 2016 18:14

Thanks for posting, I would really love to read these, but they are all behind paywalls. :(

It would be really nice to know which nerve they were calling out that caused the scapular winging, as that is something they could never pinpoint in myself despite a battery of nerve testing.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Sat 28 Oct 2017 20:46

Hi ChronicLyme19,

Here's another recently-published article that I thought you might be interested in -- if we could access it, that is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28975000
Neurohospitalist. 2017 Oct;7(4):200-201. doi: 10.1177/1941874416673280. Epub 2016 Oct 21.

Winged Scapula Secondary to Neuroborreliosis.

Bank AM1,2, Bianchi MT1, Mukerji SS1,3.

Author information

1 Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA.
2 Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, USA.
3 AIDS/Immunology Center for Life Sciences, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA, USA.

KEYWORDS:
brachial plexus neuropathies; central nervous system; central nervous system bacterial infections; infections; infectious disease medicine; neuromuscular diseases

PMID:
PMCID:
PMC5613861
[Available on 2018-10-01]
DOI:
10.1177/1941874416673280

ChronicLyme19

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Sun 29 Oct 2017 20:47

Oh wow, that sounds really interesting, thanks!....I'm going to forward this to my docs, maybe they have access.

I've been off antibiotics for about a half a year or so now (thanks to a short round of dapsone), and my back has healed a lot. I can finally start to do some back exercises with weight/full push up without my upper back getting severely cramped/knotted/messed up the next day. The odd thing is when I've had really bad colds/mild fevers, that same spot in my back on my shoulder blade/spine starts to tighten and cramp up again. I've also been told by the masseuse (first massage since being off antibiotics) that my upper back is "crunchy"/really messed up.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?