Dr Schaller - Does He Cure or Just Write Books?

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
BlueAngel

Dr Schaller - Does He Cure or Just Write Books?

Postby BlueAngel » Thu 12 Jun 2008 1:26

This guy charges big bucks for office visits and phone consults. At least he will do phone consults, but $575 for 20 min!!??

But I would even pay that if I were sure that I could get the right answers in that time frame, and that the information would indeed cure me of Babs, Bart, and Lyme.

He has his patients sign forms to keep them from disclosing treatment protocols...very hush hush you know.

I think what bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be anyone claiming that he cured them other than family members or people that work for him. A little unusual I think. I doubt if he would try to keep any former patient from proclaiming what a great Dr he was as long as they didn't disclose treatment details.

So has anyone here been cured by him, or do you know someone personally that has been, or have you done a phone consult with him where you got the info that you were looking for?

Fin24

Re: Dr Schaller - Does He Cure or Just Write Books?

Postby Fin24 » Thu 12 Jun 2008 6:48

heres my opinion
- phone consults without exams?? at exoribitant prices
-cant disclose treatments??
-NO one I know will say unequivocably he "cured" them ( I have known over the years 4 that have personalyy admitted to seeing him at least once, 1 several times over 2 years)
-suspect books and articles--no documentation or valid studies--lots of what he thinks and believes
-and a whole bunch of alphabet soup after his name- none recognized by respected groups
-aligned with well known and suspected fringe ( better health guy , Connie Killbugger and Rosner etc) he will write blurbs for their books and they reciprocate ( you cant tell a lot by the company you keep and he keeps strange company IMHO)
-a somethings not right when you are so secretive feeling i get

the Morgellons people dont particlularly respect him
http://morgellonswatch.com/2007/03/25/h ... providers/

too much hype for me
Finette

LymeEnigma

Postby LymeEnigma » Thu 12 Jun 2008 8:28

I've read some of his stuff ... I wasn't impressed with the work and there were, for all intents and purposes, no references for much of the content.

itsy

Postby itsy » Thu 12 Jun 2008 13:36

Sounds like Sylvia Browne. Perhaps they should go into business together.

Write a lot of books, charge a lot of money, and you're not allowed to say if you are dissatisfied? You pay a lot for a phone call (their charges are similar and sounds like you probably get the same cold readings...)

In this case, you cannot even talk about your treatment?

My scam alert is going off about this one. I will file it away in my mind as "another who takes advantage of the sick and desperate"

Gross.

Blue, for that amount of money you could probably find a doctor who will spend more time with you AND maybe help you out. Do you not have any other options in your area? I know its tempting to be able to just talk to someone on the phone. There was a time I may have been tempted too! HOWEVER, would you really WANT to follow the advice of a doctor you have never seen? That idea scares me a bit. If they haven't felt my lymph nodes or seen my knees, I would be hesitant at this point in my life to trust them.

Just my opinion, but I have seen some wack-job quacks in my day before I knew what was wrong with me, and this one is really setting off my internal alarms.

OneGuest

Postby OneGuest » Thu 12 Jun 2008 14:44

Fin said:
the Morgellons people dont particlularly respect him
http://morgellonswatch.com/2007/03/25/h ... providers/

I clicked on that link and read several topics. It is a forum for debunking
the so called "morgellon's disease". The debunkers are the prosecutors, and the morgellon's sufferers are the defendents.

There is a link on the left side of the page to the id50 blog, which used to be the
ld50 blog (lethal dose). This is the person who cause Ca.Lyme major grief.

The research links within articles are interesting. The stupidity of some of the anti-posters (on the mw website) drawing conclusions and making insinuations and conclusions about the existence of something they
have never seen, never experienced, and of which there is no research, and therefore the sufferers' mental state, is amazing.

OneGuest

hiker53

Postby hiker53 » Thu 12 Jun 2008 17:35

I have not read his books, but people say his latest bart book really doesn't tell how to treat it. I may be wrong, though. I have spoken with him for his free 5 minute consult and there was a terrible phone connection, so that I could hardly hear him. He told me I had cognitive issues when I ask him to repeat himself. Cognitive issues are about the only problem I don't have! I would never go to him. Hiker53

kelmo

Postby kelmo » Thu 12 Jun 2008 18:42

I really had no opinion about him until I saw his website. My first impression was that it looked like all the other marketing websites.

Then, I couldn't figure out why a medical doctor would have such a splashy website. It just doesn't match the temerament of a medical doctor. Only someone in sales would have such promotion.

My doc has a website for his lab. It's about as basic as any microbioligist can get.

There was one person (appears to be a mother, but you never know any more) on Lymenet who only made ten posts. Every one of these posts were a promotion for Dr. S. This man doesn't need anyone to promote him, for heaven's sake.

This person claimed that her children were saved by him. That may be true. But, when I PM'd this person, they were very defensive and claimed they were intelligent and attended an ivy league school.

I told them that they could do more help by telling people about the treatment of her children instead of just promoting the doc. She told me that it would be stupid, since everyone responds differently.

Okay, that I understand. But, it's nice to have a tool box of options, and they might have a good tool.

This doctor, IMHO, could do more for the Lyme community if he put his pretty, tanned, nose to the grindstone and tried to come up with a cure. I think a Nobel Peace Prize would look good on his website.

It might not put his kids through college, though.

BlueAngel

Postby BlueAngel » Thu 12 Jun 2008 18:46

Thanks for all the comments.

Itsy - Having a Dr isn't the problem. I'm very experienced in Lyme Disease and treating it. Dr Schaller lays out all the top LLMD's treatments for babs in his Babesia book. The problem is that none of them work to erradicate it ,(most of the time) esp WA-1 (Duncani).

Apparrently he has conducted some of his own reasearch over the years to find out why specific doses aren't working. He then does extensive testing to monitor blood levels of drugs to see exactly what's going on. But of course none of his findings could be verified..it's his own work and all his conclusions would have to be considered only as his opinion.

I don't have any direct experience with him....I'm just putting my feelers out to try and gather some first hand facts from actual patients if possible because heresay is most often misleading. I could be wrong on the time/cost for the phone consult...it might be 1/2 hr at that price.
Last edited by BlueAngel on Thu 12 Jun 2008 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

LymeEnigma

Postby LymeEnigma » Thu 12 Jun 2008 19:11

His babesia book also, IMHO, sucks.

JKMMC09

Postby JKMMC09 » Thu 12 Jun 2008 21:24

My daughter was a patient of Dr. S, for a whole 2 months. Those 2 months cost us thousands of dollars.He had us sign tons of, what we now refer to as the "We will not sue Dr. S" papers. He had my daughter on over 30 pills daily, such high doses of abx and supplements, herbs, cholestyramine---It was like a mix of every Lyme protocol thrown together.

Since Dr. S is on "our side" and one of the many brave doctors working toward a cure, I will say no more. If anyone is really actually interested in our experience with this doctor, you can message me. I would be glad to answer and lead you in the right direction.

Return to “Medical Topics”