Dr Schaller - Does He Cure or Just Write Books?

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
NellyP

Re: Dr Schaller - Does He Cure or Just Write Books?

Post by NellyP » Thu 12 Jun 2008 23:51

Some doctors who claim to be on our side do in fact contribute to giving us a very bad name!

Being French, I always have trouble adjusting to the way some American stuff is packaged. Dr S.'s website looks so gross, my French trained brain would normally immediately look the other way. But I have learnt that some good info sometimes does come packaged this way especially from America, (hard when you can't rely to the usual codes).

All this being said, I suspect from reading Dr S. here and there, that what he does is quickly collates a lot of info that most Lyme educated people already know and he throws in a few unverified extrapolations and Bob's your uncle!

Speaking of Dr S. reminds me I have a question re Babesia treatment: has anybody here used primaquine, and if so, how did you go and also where did you get it from. I spoke to an on-line pharmacy yesterday who said they refused to send to France (customs too bothersome)

Nelly

BlueAngel

Post by BlueAngel » Fri 13 Jun 2008 0:01

I've used Primaquine and Chloroquine before. I didn't get much reaction from the combo, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't beneficial. I know for sure that it didn't clear Babesia for me, even at the higher dose and 2 separate Tx's. I got it here in the U.S from a pharmacy with an Rx from my Dr. It's not a new medicine....it's been around for ages.

NellyP

Post by NellyP » Fri 13 Jun 2008 0:29

Yes, i know it's been around for donkey's for the treatment of malaria in its exoerythrocytic forms. Here in France you can't get it unless you HAVE a form of persisting malaria and you can only get it through a hospital if your hospital practitioner applies for an special authorisation on the grounds of your having Malaria. Whew!

I just want to give it a go, I don't want to embark on what seems like very hard work and possibly getting people into trouble. What else will get babesia out of one's liver, though?

Now, here's another query: has anybody used tafenoquine?

My stuff is Mefloquine, it works well, but i caqn't get off it. If I stop for a few weeks, I'm back to all my lovely Babesia symptoms (heart, head, vertigo, etc). My babs load seems low at the moment as I have been able to reduce my lariam (mefloquine) to one dose every 3 weeks. I'd like to knock it while it's down :))

Nelly

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Fri 13 Jun 2008 2:13

I dont mind him doing his own research---its the refusal to PUBLISH results and stand the test of peer review--which is unfortunately the gold standard--makes me think theres something to hide after all-

Once we have transparency and honest disclosure we can compare what all the "brave" Drs are doing and finally see what works and with which pts.

The refusal to share except when its making book money or direct advice for a fee, makes me feel very angry frankly

anyone who TRULY wants to help and be brave will share what theyre doing--like Dr J in CT--he hides nothing, has no confidentiality agreements, and will speak to others professional or not about the why and how and basis for his ideas. He hasnt the time unfortunately to actually publish--wish my health allowed me to go back there and shadow him and do the ghost writing and organizing of his data...I think the real shame is that there is a LOT of data that may lead to real tretament success once we can get a hold of it from the Drs in the trenches and compare.

and these fluff books--a whole lot of "I know but you have to come ( and pay to) see me...or buy my other books" crap has GOT to be nipped in the bud

I plan on continuing to buy and read and critique whatever I can afford and my Bart brain allows and publicly post it--until we can get a list of respected and trusted authors and researchers etc as well as ones to avoid out there

F

Boomerang

Post by Boomerang » Fri 13 Jun 2008 3:31

I was curious, so I actually bought the book. Paid $35 on Amazon. I had never read anything of his, and to be honest, I wanted to know what all of the fuss was about.

I was shocked when I got it. It is such a waste of money. I only hope that desperate people don't buy this book expecting to learn something.

And the pictures in this book??? OMG, they are just horrible! I can't even begin to describe it.

kelmo

Post by kelmo » Fri 13 Jun 2008 4:17

The few pics I saw of bart straea were so blurry, I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Hey, you wanna see pics that will turn your...I don't know...krank, stomach, whatever? Go to the Canlyme page and look at their pics. GEEEZ. Some people are VERY brave, or too sick to realize what was going to be posted for all to see.

Boomerang

Post by Boomerang » Fri 13 Jun 2008 4:57

I wasn't very clear what I meant by "horrible". My bad. I didn't mean horrible as related to illness.

I mean the quality is just terrible!! And some of the drawings, well, they are so bad it is almost comical. It is not to be believed!

hiker53

Post by hiker53 » Fri 13 Jun 2008 5:02

I e-mailed Dr. S after our phone call and asked him how he could diagnose me as having cognitive functions without ever having met me. I also asked him why he needed a fancy website with testimonials. If he was such a good doc his name should speak for himself and people would come to him. He e-mailed back that what doctor would reply to someone at 1:00 A.M. acting like he cared. No Dr. S for me! Hiker53

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Fri 13 Jun 2008 19:13

His website, IMHO, is just plain gaudy ... his is not an example of typical American taste....