CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
BlueSky

Re: CDC and Fry Lab blood smear--weird info!

Post by BlueSky » Sun 5 Apr 2009 3:14

[*]
Last edited by BlueSky on Wed 27 May 2009 8:13, edited 1 time in total.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Sun 5 Apr 2009 3:22

Blue

pos from Fry??? I doubt he will be willing to share the smear with anyone at this point let alone the CDC for a confirmation

if not then from which dr?? your local LLMD??? other?? maybe theyd be willing to send a sample over and ask for confirmatory identification of the unknown probable bacteria.

if yes, please let us know
F

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun 5 Apr 2009 3:34

[*]
Last edited by BlueSky on Wed 27 May 2009 8:11, edited 1 time in total.

hanegalen

Post by hanegalen » Sun 5 Apr 2009 7:49

blue
Of course you can ask- i would rather insist that the person who ordered it took action.It is probable though that the first stage would be the state lab.

Gale

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Tue 7 Apr 2009 7:16

[*]
Last edited by BlueSky on Wed 27 May 2009 8:14, edited 1 time in total.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Tue 7 Apr 2009 18:00

Can someone explain what this thread is about? In simple language? I've lost track.

Smilie removed by Cave
Last edited by cave76 on Thu 16 Apr 2009 1:59, edited 1 time in total.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Tue 7 Apr 2009 18:42

It's about...

1) the strange and unusual twists and turns ("weird info!") in the possible discovery of a possibly new pathogen, possibly infecting some patients (seen in blood smears)

and

2) the attempts to sort out the convoluted, ever-changing, incomplete information coming predominately from two small in-house labs

and

3) the desire to cut to the chase (with CDC, public health department or large, reputable, diagnostic laboratory involvement) to get to the bottom quickly of whether or not they actually have a new "mystery bug" infectious disease adding to, or causing, their illness and if so, wanting reliable medical information on how to actually treat it.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Tue 7 Apr 2009 23:45

Thank you Claudia.

I count two 'possibles', one 'possibly' and also

convoluted,

ever-changing,

and

incomplete information.

I'll wait until this all gets sorted out.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Wed 8 Apr 2009 0:04

anyone else want to grab Fry and the rest by their collars and shake them until they send their 'samples' out to others for validation and identification etc??? or is that just ME??

its not that difficult these days technologically to identify, classify and DNA type organisms--for Petes sake theyre doing it with BIGFOOT samples, why not this??

maybe its 8 days of matzoh looming [and me gluten sensitive] that has me cranky but....enough already

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Wed 8 Apr 2009 14:41

LymeMD blog
Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wet Mounts

The analysis of a blood wet mount has become part of the routine evaluation of patients presenting with an evaluation for TBD. Positive results are seen in 70 to 80% of patients. So far we do not know what the organisms are. Many patients have large numbers of small motile bacteria which stain gram negative. Other distinct and separate morphologies are also frequently seen. Some of these organisms are tear drop and crescent shaped and resemble Toxoplasmosis. Others appear as rods. It is important that researches be found who will take these anomalies seriously and help solve these mysteries. According to conventional medical knowledge,It is not normal for us to have bacteria and parasites freely swimming in our blood. Transient bacteremia occurs when we brush our teeth, but the normal immune system quickly eliminates the organisms. The blood should appear as a sterile fluid under normal circumstances. Well known blood borne pathogens such as HIV and Hepatitis C are viruses and cannot be seen with the light microscope.

Perhaps some of these organisms are normal residents of the human body. It is unknown. Perhaps these microbes appear in the blood in large numbers when immune suppression is present as may occur with Lyme disease.

It is not scientific- but my clinical experience indicates that the sickest TBD patients usually have the highest loads of these organisms- AND they usually have mixed morphologies, some resembling bacteria and other resembling parasites. Patients with the protozoa type morphologies are usually the sickest.

Ultimately the identity of these organisms will be disclosed. It is yet to be known how these results will play into the management of patients with tick borne illness- or other illness for that matter. Do these organisms represent a new set of previously unknown tick borne co-infections? Will it be shown that they are normal human flora? Will they be used as a marker of disease activity or will they require specific, targeted therapies? For now I can only offers clinical impressions which may or may not have validity as the science is unraveled.

The amazing thing about this part of the puzzle is that these findings are as clear as the tip of your nose. You don't need sophisticated Western Blot or PCR technology.
There can be no debate whether an adequate course of a particular antibiotic has eradicated a particular blood wet mount organism. These organisms appear right under your eyes.

All you need is a drop of blood and a standard light microscope set at 1000 power.

There are many patients will a complex multi-system disorder associated with Lyme disease and other tick borne infections. Many, if not most of these patients have blood organisms which remain unidentified. These patients as a whole respond to antimicrobial therapy of various sorts. As clinicians we do our best, but we need help.

We need scientists: parasitologists, microbiologists, molecular biologists, experts in DNA sequencing at high powered universities and research centers who have the expertise to solve the riddle. What are these mystery bugs and what role do they play in the course of human disease?

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2009/04/wet-mounts.html