Test your eyes with an Amsler Grid (when taking Plaquenil)

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Martian

Test your eyes with an Amsler Grid (when taking Plaquenil)

Post by Martian » Tue 31 Jul 2007 20:10

Test your eyes with an Amsler grid

An Amsler Grid: this is an eye test, e.g. for when you take Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). Plaquenil can cause eye complaints as a side effect.

http://www.lupusmn.org/Education/Articl ... andSLE.htm
Dr. Michael Easterbrook at the University of Toronto has noted that patients can monitor themselves between visits. Many eye physicians provide their lupus patients who take antimalarials with an Amsler grid. This is a piece of paper which the patient can use once a month to test his / her own vision for antimalarial side effects.

The combination of using an appropriate dose of antimalarials and regular eye checkups should protect against eye side effects. In the rare event that a side effect occurs, it should be reversible.
http://www.lupus.org/education/topics/plaquenil.html
How Can I Tell if I Have Retinopathy?

I receive a lot of e-mail from people concerned about a new vision or eye symptom, and fear of retinopathy is somewhat common. I think it need not be. Get regular screenings and if you are quite concerned, ask your eye care practitioner for an Amsler grid plus the instructions for using it. Then place it near your calendar and check the grid once per month when you change the calendar page. This is probably overkill but it would be hard to find a way to remind yourself to do it every three months. If you find a defect on the grid, make an appointment with the eye doctor. Don't panic-and don't stop taking your hydroxychloroquine! Even if the defect is a true defect, validated by other tests, it may be totally unrelated to the drug.-Susan E. Marren, O.D., F.A.A.O.
:arrow: PDF to print: with an Amsler grid and instructions how to use it