Air hunger

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Bobbie

Air hunger

Post by Bobbie » Mon 12 Jan 2009 3:53

Hi everyone,

I started a babesia treatment (Mepron, Biaxin, Plaquenil) early December, and an old symptom has come back, more intense than ever. It's air hunger.

Sometimes, it feels like I'm not going to have enough air in my lungs and my throat feels like it's swelling inside, partially blocking passage. It can get pretty scary.

Anyone knows of a trick to reduce this symptom?

And can this be a herx reaction? Because from what I've read, a Herxheimer reaction can only occur when bacteria is dying, not protozoa.

Thank you for your input,

Julie

BlueAngel

Re: Air hunger

Post by BlueAngel » Mon 12 Jan 2009 6:40

Hey Bobbie.

It may, or may not be a herx from die off. I don't think that it makes any difference whether it's bacteria or protozoa that is being killed. If your body is unable to get rid of the toxins that are being released from whatever is dying, then there can be a herxheimer type reaction.

It's quite common for people to have a monthly flare from babesia while they are in treatment. Either way, it should only last for a week or so, and then things should settle down again. I've never had a bad air hunger reaction from Babs, and I don't recall that there is a remedy for it....sorry

Joe Ham

Post by Joe Ham » Mon 12 Jan 2009 17:29

Bobbie,
What do you mean by "air hunger"? How is it different from shortness of breath as might be caused by, say, angina or pneumonia? Is it a constant presence or does it get worse with exertion?

Could your throat tightness be SJS (Stevens Johnson Syndrome)? Do you have a new skin rash? Often starting on the back.

Do you take supplements such as Co-Q10?

Most important, have you reported this to your doctor?

IMHO it is not a Herx. That occurs shortly after starting a new drug protocol and only lasts for a day or two. It does not continue for a month or more and it does not get worse over time.

Also a Herx requires a massive die-off of toxin laden bacteria. That requires b'cidal action but the drugs you are taking are b'static so the die-off is much more gradual -- very unlikely to provoke a Herx.

An allergic reaction such as SJS can be serious, can be serious enough to be fatal if neglected or ignored. Again, have you reported this to your doctor?

He is in a much better position to evaluate your problem -- much better than the uneducated opinions of people who populate Lyme boards, such as BlueAngel and me.

Again, what do you mean by air hunger and have you reported it to your doctor?

Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Mon 12 Jan 2009 22:19

Hi Joe,

My symptoms do not lead me to believe it could be a SJS: I never have fever (my “normal” temperature is 95 F), no chills, no headaches, no mucous membrane lesions, no rash…

The air hunger occurs mostly in the evening, when I’m calm, or after a heavy meal. It feels like I cannot take full satisfying breaths. So I take many shallow breaths that bring me close to hyperventilating. I have to lie down and calm myself. If my nose is clogged—which is often the case as my septum is crooked—I find that taking a bit of Otrivin helps. At least, if I can breathe freely through my nose, I won’t panic when my throat feels tight.

Since I’ve started taking Mepron, I’ve stopped supplementing with Co-Q10.

I will write to my LLMD to let her know about this air hunger/breathing distress. It has been going on for too long.

Thank you for your replies!

Julie

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 13 Jan 2009 0:21

I used to sit in a hot shower ... sometimes it helped, and sometimes it made things worse. I'm so glad to be past that horrifying stage in my life.

Do you smoke? If so, quit. It made a huge difference in my recovery.

Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Tue 13 Jan 2009 1:41

Hey, I took a long and very hot bath today, and my breathing was great. My nose cleared up too! :D

No, I never smoked.

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Fri 16 Jan 2009 3:22

Have you been definitively diagnosed with babesia? Some mycoplasma infections can also cause babesia-like lung involvement, just FYI.

Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Fri 16 Jan 2009 4:56

My babesia diagnosis is a clinical one, as both my babesia microti antibody and FISH tests were negative.

I often wonder why my Lyme MD suspects this co-infection. I mean, I never have fever, chills, sweats, nausea, and my labs are always fine. And when I have a headache/migraine, it is always in my forehead, not at the back of my head.

Maybe she assumes the air hunger episodes I had before treatment were proof enough of babesiosis…that, plus intense pain in my thigh muscles. It seems to me that it’s not a lot to go on.

After being on anti-babesia treatment for a few months, could a repeat of the previous tests turn out positive this time?

Also, is there a reliable test for mycoplasma?

Thanks!

Julie

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Fri 16 Jan 2009 10:51

I don't know much about mycoplasma tests, but I do know that babesia (sero-positive) gave me drenching night sweats, among a few other nasty symptoms. I'm not talking a wet head or a small dampness on the back at night; I'm talking shivering, pajamas saturated, the sheets and pillow saturated, hair dripping night sweats. I remember changing my clothes two or three times a night, sometimes, before I finally invested in "hot flash" pajamas. The night sweats subsided 100% with treatment.

I am not a doctor, so take my opinion as you will, but I am very weary of clinical diagnoses. There are a lot of diseases that can cause a lot of similar symptoms, and clinical diagnoses don't always hit the right target on the first shot ... or the second ... etc., if you get what I'm saying.