explaining parasitic protozoa for Fry discussions

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Fin24

explaining parasitic protozoa for Fry discussions

Post by Fin24 » Wed 6 May 2009 1:38

Protozoa is a very broad and vague term for living organisms that are single celled and have membrane bound organelles and nucleii ( eukaryote).

They include a wide variety such as ciliates like good old Paramecium, Ameobae,sporozoa, foraminifera,flagellates.
and apicomplexa (like Malaria- causing Plasmodium)-- protozoa can be free living or parasites. They can be found in many environments.

some classification plans place many of the above listed types in the Apicomplexa Phylum.other plans are confusing and separate blood parasites out--all are arbitrary organizational schemata.Most recently Sporozoa has been split and reassigned to many other groups and to other Kigndoms.

I think what Fry is looking at may involve the Apicomplexa.( all parasitic and most, of humans)

Spore forming and exclusively parasitic, Apicomplexa usually include the classes of:coccidia, some sporozoa, gregarinea ( invertebrate parasites) .ALL have cellular organelles making up the "apical complex" which is very identifiable;and a very identifiable reproductive cycle as well.

Out of approx 5,000 species of protozoa only about 1/5 or 1000 are considered parasitic ( unable to live and/or reproduce without a host)

Most are very regional and very specific as to host. For example some parasite protozoa can only live in snails.and transmission varies too --some need vectors like insects.Others infect in water. Its not simple when you are trying to understand causes, prevention, treatment of illnesses; especially if parasites are involved.btw a "parasite" is simply an organism that cant live on its own--it feeds and lives off another organism.

Some of the more well known human parasitic protozoals are:
Trichomonas--found worldwide,flagellate, venereal (sexually transmitted),feed on bacteria and white blood cells, usually NOT found in the blood stream, can live outside body for short unspecific time periods.

Trypanosomes- cause sleeping sickness,flagellate,insect host with secondary host cattle and human, live in tissue and blood, need an animal vecotr to transmit ( tse tse fly),found in central Africa between lat of 15N and 20S.

also a trypanosome ( T. cruzi) causes Chagas- Mexico, Central and South America,intra and extracellular.and Leishmania causes leishmaniasis and that too is a trypanosome-transmitted by sand flies and has a wide distribution that extends from the Mediterranean to Middle Asia, to southern Russia and China. It is also known as kala-azar (black fever) or Assam fever.

Giardia-flagellate- GI tract-( most common human GI parasite)-is found everywhere there are humans but highly concentrated in warmer climates and where poor sanitation.transmitted by cysts in comtaminated water, on surfaces and foods.

Ameoba-caused dysentary and meningeoencephalitis- transmitted by cysts in contaminated food/water
found throughout the world--the latter illness is caused by a normally free living ameaba that gets into the nose via water while swimming in infected waters, and burrows into the brain. not humnan to human infection.

Toxoplasmosis-coccidia, infect intestine then lymph glands--infect via cysts of contaminated surfaces,soil, kitty litter.

cryptosporidium ( a coccidium) cause cryptosporidiosis , occurs in almost all surface waters,infection via oocyst and thru contaminated water,food, environment- usually stays intesinal but may go to lungs and traches.Human infections have been reported on six continents, in developed and less developed countries and in urban and rural areas. In the U.S., large outbreaks have been associated with contaminated water supplies. Some experts estimate that 10 million cases of cryptosporidiosis occur per year. Several large waterborne outbreaks in municipal water sources have occurred since 1987 in Georgia, Texas, Oregon and Wisconsin.

there is only ONE ciliated protozoal parasite in humans- Balantidium coli--causing Balantidaisis- a form of dysentary
found worldwide and feeds on the colon leaving ulcerations.

APICOMPLEXA a " new" category that regroups many human parasites

Malaria caused by 4 species of Plasmodium-- Apicomplexa is the phylum they belong to (plasmodium requires 2 hosts- mosquito and a vertebrate)must infect RBCs to develop and reproduce.Having the gene for Sickle Cell Anemia affords some protection. P. falciparum infects RBCs and cause knobs on the membrane making the RBCs stickier. And blood cells are also ruptured releasing contents.anywhere Anopheles mosquito is found ( the only vector for human malaria) you have malaria.

This may be very similar to what is being seen on blood smears and a cause for "thick" blood or stickier hypercoagulating blood in tick illness patients!! and Babesia are also in the Apicomplexa group so what Fry may be mistakenly calling a type of Bartonella may really be related to Babesia!!!

here is how one classifying plan places Babesia and Malaria ( note NO Bartonella anywhere near this !!)http://parasitology.informatik.uni-wuer ... /0267.html

Phylum: Alveolata
Subphylum: Dinoflagellata
Subphylum: Apicomplexa
....Class: Gregarinea
....Class: Coccidea
......Order: Adeleida
......Order: Eimeriida
....Class: Haematozoea
......Order: Haemosporida- Plasmodium ( Malaria)
......Order: Piroplasmida--BABESIA

http://parasitology.informatik.uni-wuer ... /0267.html and 4 protozoology texts.

currently known human protozoal parasites found in blood are
Trypanosoma (T. brucei and T. cruzi); Leishmania (L. donovani, L. tropica and L. braziliensis); Plasmodium (P. falciparum, P. ovale, P. malariae and P. vivax); Toxoplasma gondii; and Babesia (B. microti).
http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/parasitolog ... -proto.htm

My feeling is that Fry results will fall within these categories or extremely similar. NOT Bartonella, Bart-like organsism, or even mycoplasmas providing they are truly " protozoal" and not bacterial or artifact.

BlueSky

Re: explaining parasitic protozoa for Fry discussions

Post by BlueSky » Mon 27 Jul 2009 8:18

Yeah.. I think your right..
And I am thinking there is some confusion of people thinking that the BLO and the
Fry findings are one and the same.

Even the BLO ... Bartonella Like Organism is not Bartonella.
People do get confused.

Also people are confused when they hear or read Hemobartonella which is also not Bartonella.

For many it is totally understandable to be confused. Things are changing a lot and also the terms with
words in them that seem to point in one direction really dont.

THANKS for writing this up and I hope it does help people understand much more after reading it.

hanegalen

Post by hanegalen » Mon 27 Jul 2009 10:49

hi fin

Thanks for your effort- very good.
From all the info in the other thread I believe you are wrong- in the sense that the smear photos from Fry show anything pathogeneic.I dont believe coocobacillis on the erothrocytes are organisms any more.
But as Clongen labs has shown there are these motile things and also some parasotoc-like things in the blood-stream of chronic lymies.
With this in mind I believe you are right.

Gale

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Mon 27 Jul 2009 23:40

heres where I find problems with Clongen

IF those samples were high enough to show MOTILE and parasite-like things in those numbers then WHY cant a PCR and even a Blot pick them up?? I cant imagine that level of pathogenesis/parasitemia could be ignored by the body's immune system--after all, that would bring it above the "stealth" level

what I mean is that with that level of readily observed "stuff" some test would be able to "find" them and identify them--we are back to how come then Clongen staff are the only pairs of eyes SEEING them??

as for my commenting on the POSSIBILITY that Fry smears show anything pathogenic--I was being kind and "open" to a rare possibility
I dont actually "beleive" this to be true

and I ended with
providing they are truly " protozoal" and not bacterial or artifact
that meant " if theyre actually protozoal at all. and IF they are NOT bacterial or some artifact--stain granules perhaps"--

I hoped that would convey my doubts

bigdreams87

Post by bigdreams87 » Sun 2 Aug 2009 18:18

Clongen stole my slide. Dr. K will not respond to my emails and has kept my slide when he said he would send it back. He also never delivered his "report" to my Dr's as he said he would.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Sun 2 Aug 2009 23:18

sorry Big but Im NOT surprised given the level of ethics Ive seen connected to that office

have you sent a registered letter threatening to report him to the state ethics board where he practices medcine??

Id do that

then if you get your slides and report or not--report him

too many refuse and we lose accountability--we have got to stopp being afraid of holding our lyme and non Lyme Drs accountable

hanegalen

Post by hanegalen » Thu 6 Aug 2009 17:05

Fin

regarding the motile "bacteria" obsrved by clongen.

they were also seen in bloodmsears by other labs in my blood.It is puzzling to me also why they havent been identified .If they are not beacteria but some proto... it is much more difficult,I understand.But if bacteria it should not be that complicated.Still-I believe, you need a more advanced lab with time and resources to make the ID.

Gale

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Fri 7 Aug 2009 0:44

Hi Gale,
whats puzzling to ME is that "things" are being seen by labs and smears and being ignored--why is this??

I know when I was in the lab if i saw anything strange I didnt simply report "something funny was there"--I had to go thru hoops figuring out what it was and if a contaminant to my hepatic cell tissue cultures had to get rid of them

you see blood and things moving about and you KNOW it aint "normal" and maybe even UNsafe ( illness provoking)and then you ignore it?? since youre probably not the only One with this--why isnt ANYOne doing anything about figuring it out??

bigdreams87

Post by bigdreams87 » Fri 7 Aug 2009 6:33

I think both Fin and Gale should watch the DVD from his latest conference. I just watched it. It tells the entire process of how he has found everything and what he knows so far. It's kind of interesting. I think it will answer alot of your questions....

Especially you Gale.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Fri 7 Aug 2009 9:09

and this DVD would be accessible how?????????????????????