Muliple-Strain Bb Infections: Implications

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Lorima

Re: Muliple-Strain Bb Infections: Implications

Post by Lorima » Fri 27 Feb 2015 0:07

"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman

dlf

Post by dlf » Fri 27 Feb 2015 2:19

Thank you Lorima!

But the article I was looking for is a different one. The one you sent was just published. The original one (I think) was from about 2010 or 2012 and had been published in a European journal. I was hoping to be able to use both of them. The two articles were somewhat different. The one I was hoping for is titled, Improved Clinical Sensitivity for Detection of Antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi Western Blots Prepared from a Mixture of Two Strains of B. burgdorferi 297 and B31, and Interpreted by In-house Criteria.

The one you kindly sent is titled, Improved Sensitivity of Lyme disease Western Blots Prepared with a Mixture of Borrelia Burgdorferi Strains 297 and B31.

If I don't manage to get a copy of the one I am looking for I will just not use what I did have from it, so it is not critical for my purpose.
Thanks again for trying!

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Sun 1 Mar 2015 17:15

Multi. And. TBD. AND INFECTIONS. - All are established by 30 years of medical observation and
Basic science research.

Let us render unto " MULTI-". The COMPLETE. LIST OF. POSSIBLE INFECTOMES
WHICH A LYME PATIENT ( or a EUROPEAN resident with Tick borne Borreliosis)
Might carry ( synchronously or metachronously)

A PARTIAL RECITATION OF THE ALLEGED. PERPETRATORS OF "MULTI" may include;

Babesiosis ( MICROTI type or ant of 6 other Non-microti types)
Bartonella SPECIES. ( not merely Henselae anymore thanks to Dr Breitschwerdt and Galaxy Labs)
Ehrlichia SPECIES ( Granuloctic family or Mknocytic Families)
Anaplasma subsets
Coxiella Burnetti
Francisella tularensis
Miyamotoi Borreliae group sl ( flying under the clinical radar for decades)
Mycoplasma Group infections
Viral agents ( powassan, heartland, flaviridae ,many yet to be named. ..EBV??)

Possible Tick borne pathogenic micro filariae agents ( which are under investigation now at the Sapi Laboratory )

Let us embrace new discoveries of Borrelia strains vectored by ticks in geographies beyond the borders of the USA AND
BEYOND the borders of the European community.
Let us attempt to reconcile the scenarios of tick borne SPIROPLASMAS with the chronic BORRELIOSIS profiles.
Let us attempt to incorporate new knowledge of
Leptospirosis Strains whose names are not written in Microbiology and
Medical Textbooks.... Just such an Agent was described in the New England Journal of Medicine in year 2014...
This strain of spirochete ...which defied three hospitalizations at the Medical School of the University of
California, San Francisco, ....and over a period of corticosteroid therapy for " Sarcoidosis of the Brain" by
Brain biopsy confirmation..... Which Rendered a 14 year old child permanently brain damaged ( Hydrocephalic)

Unlike James Bond,....
Borrelia Burgdorferi NEVER EVER TRAVELS ALONE

It is very complicated, and yesterday's conventional Wisdom ,
Is rendered obsolete by the Juggernaut of new discoveries of unheard of infectomes ( PLURAL)

Respectfully,

Alan B. MacDonald, MD, Fellow, College of American Pathologists
March 1, 2015

think about the rainbow coalition for TBD INFECTOMES.

TwiceBitten

Post by TwiceBitten » Sun 1 Mar 2015 20:57

inmacdonald wrote: Let us attempt to incorporate new knowledge of
Leptospirosis Strains whose names are not written in Microbiology and
Medical Textbooks.... Just such an Agent was described in the New England Journal of Medicine in year 2014...
This strain of spirochete ...which defied three hospitalizations at the Medical School of the University of
California, San Francisco, ....and over a period of corticosteroid therapy for " Sarcoidosis of the Brain" by
Brain biopsy confirmation..... Which Rendered a 14 year old child permanently brain damaged ( Hydrocephalic)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/healt ... 0:11958766
Reader Comments

Doug
Cleveland 6 June 2014
Why is it that now, we are just deciding to look at "root causes" to problems. I'd say it's pretty safe to say, at this point, that most diseases are caused by infection or a genetic flaw that doesn't allow one to fight infection.

--

Charles Chiu MD/PhD
San Francisco 6 June 2014

To address questions raised by readers:

(1) Why was he not treated with penicillin at the outset?
Penicillin has efficacy only against a very narrow spectrum of bacteria and is never given empirically (without a specific diagnosis). He did receive cefuroxime prior to becoming critically ill and was started on broad-spectrum cefepime/vancomycin x 48 hours while the NGS analysis was ongoing. Cefepime is effective in vitro against Leptospira and we do not know whether he might have gotten better on this regimen (without a definitive diagnosis) but the identification of Leptospira infection prompted the switch to high-dose IV penicillin and discontinuation of steroids which led to his rapid clinical improvement.

(2) What about the NGS analysis software used to make the diagnosis?
We have published the SURPI analysis pipeline at http://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2 ... .113?top=1
and it is freely available for download under a modified open-source license at http://chiulab.ucsf.edu/surpi.

(3) Is this test available clinically?
Not at present. The NGS test we describe in the NEJM paper has not been clinically validated for diagnosis of disease and thus cannot be used for clinical testing in patients. The patient described in the published case report was enrolled in an approved research study. We are currently validating the assay (there is no specific timeframe at present) and plan on making the test widely available once clinically validated.
http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/06/114946 ... ly-ill-boy

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Mon 2 Mar 2015 2:21

Clinical practice of Medicine

iS a "healing art" ..
with a Veneer of Science........
the Science is subject to
CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE..!!!!

But the Art of Medicine, the practice of the Healing Art.. ..
Endures

It is very very difficult to "GET It Right"...
and the art of...
"Getting it Right "
is the dividend of years of Clinical Experience
layered and marbled with
Ongoing Continuing Medical Education
and the humility which comes with "learning from your mistakes"

Respectfully.
Alan B. MacDonald, MD, Fellow , College of American Pathologists
May 1, 2015