Die off

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
naomicb

Die off

Post by naomicb » Sun 10 Aug 2014 21:27

For the clinically oriented readers, how many days/weeks would you expect it to take for all die off reactions to fade out after a patient has completed a course of antibiotics?

velvetmagnetta

Re: Die off

Post by velvetmagnetta » Mon 11 Aug 2014 14:16

Personally, my die-off began 5 years ago and never stopped. It is now fading just a little bit at a time since I found Jasmine Auriculatum.

I believe that first several months of antibiotics kills a whole bunch of Lyme bacteria, but that the die-off causes incredibly painful nerve complications that can manifest in so many different ways.

I know the prevailing theory is currently that we have to remove all these toxins from our bodies, but toxin-removal treatments have never worked for me and they, in fact, made me worse.

I had Lyme for 30 years, though, before I began teatment for it. It very well may turn into a whole different problem by then, so somebody else who hasn't had it that long may not go through the torture I did. But it's still gonna suck.

I think most people feel better after a while, but many of us have what is now known as Post-Treatment Lyme Disease. This is pretty much when we have taken antibiotics for a long time - some of us years - and we are still sick as ever.

There is treatment with Cholestyramine for toxin-removal, but like I said, it never worked for me and made me feel much much worse. So, I no longer believe that my problem is due to toxins. Rather, I believe it is due to damage incurred by the Lyme bacteria when I killed them en-mass with antibiotics. I think all the toxins and all the dying off happened all within the first few months of antibiotics and what I'm dealing with now is the residual damage from that original assault.

In other words, I believe my nerves are broken, possibly frayed. So, really what we should probably be doing instead of removing toxins is repairing nerves. Anything that can help with nerve repair may help someone suffering from the herx feeling. I take Jasmine Auriculatum - it is the ONLY thing that has EVER made me feel any better. And it's made me feel MUCH better. (Do not take Jasmine Auriculatum if you are pregnant or nursing)

So, I don't know. I think the length of the "die-off" feeling depends on how long you've had the Bb infection, which strain it is, and possibly your genes and how they express cytokines. Some people don't even feel a die-off! Others can't seem to get rid of it. I believe the average length of time (from blogs and message boards on the internet) is about 2 months.

ChronicLyme19

Re: Die off

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Mon 11 Aug 2014 20:41

velvetmagnetta wrote: So, I don't know. I think the length of the "die-off" feeling depends on how long you've had the Bb infection, which strain it is, and possibly your genes and how they express cytokines. Some people don't even feel a die-off! Others can't seem to get rid of it. I believe the average length of time (from blogs and message boards on the internet) is about 2 months.
I totally agree on that. Depends on a number of factors.

Personally, abx make me feel better. I only seem to herx with herbs. When I started on the herbs, one drop would flair my symptoms for two-ish weeks. Then I could increase a drop. Two weeks is also about the time it takes me to start feeling better if I restart antibiotics after being off. I was only sick 1.5 years before going on antibiotics, so I don't have as much infection built up as some of those who went untreated for much longer.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?