Why the Government is Suppressing the Lyme Disease Epidemic

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
phyfe

Post by phyfe » Sun 30 Nov 2014 20:29

Why the Government is Suppressing the Lyme Disease Epidemic | Interview with Lorraine Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuT7STb ... e=youtu.be
Published on Nov 21, 2014

Abby Martin interviews Lorriane Johnson, CEO of Lymedisease.org, about the growth of Lyme Disease and why the CDC changed their projections of the number of people with it from 30,000 to 300,000.

ChronicLyme19

Re: Why the Government is Suppressing the Lyme Disease Epide

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Mon 1 Dec 2014 4:18

For a second I though you may be referring to the poor Australians.

My favorite quote from the last IDSA protest:

"I don't need information about Lyme. I'm an Australian doc; we don't have Lyme there."
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?

Litana

Post by Litana » Sun 28 Dec 2014 20:26

is there anyone to transcribe this video in a post :?:

Like, i could be understand all the interview. :)
¤º°'°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°'°º¤¤º°'°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°'°º¤¤º°'°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°'°º¤
Chronimed / Puzzle des maladies chroniques

hv808ct

Post by hv808ct » Mon 29 Dec 2014 15:14

Post by phyfe » Sun 30 Nov 2014 20:29

Why the Government is Suppressing the Lyme Disease Epidemic | Interview with Lorraine Johnson
Why IS the government suppressing the Lyme disease epidemic?
Who in the government is doing the suppressing? (I might know some of them.)
Why is this an epidemic? (Keeping in mind the definition of “epidemic”.)

duncan

Post by duncan » Mon 29 Dec 2014 17:15

Ooooo! A pop quiz! May I give it a go??

Ok, first question: Why IS the government suppressing the Lyme disease epidemic?
Answer: Is this a trick question? ;) I'm not sure you have demonstrated, hv808ct, that the govt is suppressing anything, but let me try to tackle this question on a theoretical level.

Some have suggested there are a potentially a few elements contributing to the inertia which today characterizes the Lyme disease environment. If the government were involved, included with them might be some parts of academia and some businesses, with possibly lots of cheer-leading I'd guess from insurance concerns. But back to the question: I can't say, but let me ask and you tell me when I'm off the mark and why. Does that sound fair? So, what about job security and future employment possibilities? Legacy concerns? Patents and other business,i.e., financial, considerations? Misplaced loyalties? Pressure from third-party interests? Blind allegiance to dogma? Sub-par intellect in a minority of involved personnel? Liability concerns?

I am sure I have left out some other candidates, but remember I am just winging this. So keep in mind these are all just guesses; please let me know which of those guesses are off and why. And let me know what is/are the correct answer(s), please. I would like to know what the correct response might be, and I'd wager others would like to know the proper answer.

Question 2) Who in the government is doing the suppressing?
Answer: This is too open-ended. Can you please make that a multiple choice and supply some names to select from?

Question 3) Why is this an epidemic?
Answer: See Question # 1.

phantasm

Post by phantasm » Mon 29 Dec 2014 17:56

Last edited by phantasm on Wed 31 Dec 2014 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

Post by Henry » Mon 29 Dec 2014 18:07

Duncan: Your questions should be directed to Lorraine Johnson, since she first raised these questions -- and on public TV no less. Why don't you ask her? Let's see what the "Great Wonk" has to say. The whole thing -- including you and the "Great Wonk"-- is ludicrous. It's the kind of argument one makes when one doesn't really have any facts to support their delusional views. Lorraine Johnson advocates the use of alternative therapies that are not generally accepted by the medical community. Neither I nor the medical community would oppose the use of such therapies, provided there is unequivocal evidence to support their benefit and safety. Unfortunately, neither Johnson nor ILADS have ever provided ANY such evidence --none whatsoever. That's the real problem. It's evidence-based vs faith-based science.

duncan

Post by duncan » Mon 29 Dec 2014 18:13

Bull.

You will not be able to oversimplify and equivocate the way it was once done. The word is getting out, Henry.

TwiceBitten

Post by TwiceBitten » Tue 30 Dec 2014 0:17

Henry wrote: The whole thing -- including you and the "Great Wonk"-- is ludicrous. It's the kind of argument one makes when one doesn't really have any facts to support their delusional views. Lorraine Johnson advocates the use of alternative therapies that are not generally accepted by the medical community. Neither I nor the medical community would oppose the use of such therapies, provided there is unequivocal evidence to support their benefit and safety. Unfortunately, neither Johnson nor ILADS have ever provided ANY such evidence --none whatsoever. That's the real problem. It's evidence-based vs faith-based science.
http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/postLDS/
The exact cause of PTLDS is not yet known. Most medical experts believe that the lingering symptoms are the result of residual damage to tissues and the immune system that occurred during the infection. Similar complications and "auto–immune" responses are known to occur following other infections, including Campylobacter (Guillain-Barre syndrome), Chlamydia (Reiter's syndrome), and Strep throat (rheumatic heart disease).
Guillain-Barre Syndrome:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/detail_gbs.htm
No one yet knows why Guillain-Barré — which is not contagious — strikes some people and not others. Nor does anyone know exactly what sets the disease in motion.
How is Guillain-Barré syndrome diagnosed?

Guillain-Barré is called a syndrome rather than a disease because it is not clear that a specific disease-causing agent is involved. A syndrome is a medical condition characterized by a collection of symptoms (what the patient feels) and signs (what a doctor can observe or measure). The signs and symptoms of the syndrome can be quite varied, so doctors may, on rare occasions, find it difficult to diagnose Guillain-Barré in its earliest stages.

Several disorders have symptoms similar
to those found in Guillain-Barré, so doctors examine and question patients carefully before making a diagnosis.
How is Guillain-Barré treated?

There is no known cure for Guillain-Barré syndrome. However, there are therapies that lessen the severity of the illness and accelerate the recovery in most patients. There are also a number of ways to treat the complications of the disease.

Currently, plasma exchange (also called plasmapheresis) and high-dose immunoglobulin therapy are used. Both of them are equally effective, but immunoglobulin is easier to administer. Plasma exchange is a method by which whole blood is removed from the body and processed so that the red and white blood cells are separated from the plasma, or liquid portion of the blood. The blood cells are then returned to the patient without the plasma, which the body quickly replaces. Scientists still don't know exactly why plasma exchange works, but the technique seems to reduce the severity and duration of the Guillain-Barré episode. This may be because plasmapheresis can remove antibodies and other immune cell-derived factors that could contribute to nerve damage.

In high-dose immunoglobulin therapy, doctors give intravenous injections of the proteins that, in small quantities, the immune system uses naturally to attack invading organisms. Investigators have found that giving high doses of these immunoglobulins, derived from a pool of thousands of normal donors, to Guillain-Barré patients can lessen the immune attack on the nervous system. Investigators don't know why or how this works, although several hypotheses have been proposed.

The use of steroid hormones has also been tried as a way to reduce the severity of Guillain-Barré, but controlled clinical trials have demonstrated that this treatment not only is not effective but may even have a deleterious effect on the disease.

The most critical part of the treatment for this syndrome consists of keeping the patient's body functioning during recovery of the nervous system.

Reiter's Syndrome:
https://www.rheumatology.org/Practice/C ... Arthritis/
How is reactive arthritis diagnosed?

Diagnosis is largely based on symptoms of the inducing infections and appearance of typical musculoskeletal (joint and muscle) involvement. If indicated, doctors might order a test for Chlamydia infection or test for the HLA-B27 gene.

How is reactive arthritis treated?

The type of treatment depends on the stage of reactive arthritis.

Treatment for early stage.
The acute (early) inflammation can be treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (often referred to as NSAIDs). These drugs, which suppress swelling and pain, include naproxen (Aleve), diclofenac (Voltaren), indomethacin (Indocin) or celecoxib (Celebrex). The exact effective dose varies from patient to patient.

The risk of side effects of these drugs, such as gastrointestinal (often called GI) bleeding, also varies. Your doctor will consider your risk of GI bleeding in suggesting an NSAID.

Treatment for late stage.
Chronic reactive arthritis may require treatment with a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (sometimes called a DMARD) such as sulfasalazine or methotrexate. Sulfasalazine may be more useful when the reactive arthritis is triggered by a GI infection. In some cases, very inflamed joints may benefit from corticosteroid injections (cortisone shots).

New research suggests that a prolonged course of two or more antibiotics might be effective in patients with chronic Chlamydia-induced reactive arthritis.

Rheumatic Heart Disease:
http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_disea ... trs923/en/
Although the responsible pathogenic mechanism(s) still remain incompletely defined, methods for optimal prevention and management have changed during the past fifteen years.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_923.pdf?ua=1 (PDF)
Antimicrobial therapy
Eradication of the pharyngeal streptococcal infection is mandatory
to avoid chronic repetitive exposure to streptococcal antigens

2).
Ideally, two throat cultures should be performed before starting antibiotics. However, antibiotic therapy is warranted even if the throat cultures are negative. Antibiotic therapy does not alter the course,
frequency and severity of cardiac involvement

3).
The eradication of pharyngeal streptococci should be followed by long-term secondary
prophylaxis to guard against recurrent pharyngeal streptococcal infections.

PTLDS Treatment:

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/postLDS/
Your doctor may want to treat you in ways similar to patients who have fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome.
Summary:
PTLDS is similar to Guillain-Barre, Rheumatic Heart Disease, and Reiter's Disease aka Reactive Arthritis, which are treated with plasma exchange, immunomodulators, prescription anti-inflammatories, chronic antibiotics, and patient responses to therapies are based upon clinical evaluation.

Whereas, PTLDS is treated as Fibromyalgia with antidepressants and gabapentin, neither of which have any presumed or evidenced effects upon the immune system, or infectious agents and their antigens. In the words of "Henry", there is no unequivocal evidence to support the benefit of antidepressants and gabapentin as sole treatments for PTLDS. None, whatsoever. That's the real problem.

Henry wrote: The whole thing -- including you and the "Great Wonk"-- is ludicrous. It's the kind of argument one makes when one doesn't really have any facts to support their delusional views.

Indeed!

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Wed 31 Dec 2014 1:05

Nicely done, TwiceBitten. Good collection and presentation of evidence.
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman