Natural Gas/CO Poisoning

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Post Reply
User avatar
ChronicLyme19
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon 11 Aug 2014 17:42
Location: NY, USA

Natural Gas/CO Poisoning

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Fri 10 Jul 2015 20:59

Does anyone know if low level natural gas/carbon monoxide poisoning could elevate your MCH slightly?

I know carbon monoxide can bind with hemoglobin, and that MCH is the average hemoglobin per red blood cell. So I'm wondering if you have chronic low level exposure to natural gas/CO if your body would compensate and jack up the hemoglobin in each RBC to compensate for the CO taking the place of oxygen.

I ask because they just found a small gas leak in our stove, which I think has been there for months if not years, because our carbon monoxide detector upstairs finally went off...

Every once in a while I'd smell something off, but never strong enough to know what it was. I'd ask my housemate or neighbors to walk in and see if they smelled anything and since I'd already opened the door, no one would notice a difference and just assumed it was the other tenants smoking or the garbage from the construction next door. Now I'm thinking it was the gas I was smelling that would build up in the house when no one was home, but it was just at the level you could barely smell it. Whoever walked in first could smell something was off, but not tell what it was and any other person coming in wouldn't smell anything.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?

duncan
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed 5 Sep 2012 18:48

Re: Natural Gas/CO Poisoning

Post by duncan » Fri 10 Jul 2015 21:53

Interesting question, as I just saw my Lyme doctor, and I queried him about my perpetually (as in years) high MCHC levels. He shrugged them off.

Not sure what the tie is to MCH values, though.

User avatar
ChronicLyme19
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon 11 Aug 2014 17:42
Location: NY, USA

Re: Natural Gas/CO Poisoning

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Fri 10 Jul 2015 22:00

Yeh, mine said high MCH was indicative of something, but just nothing that makes sense. We need another piece of the puzzle to make it be relevant and he's checked everything they know of that can cause it. He didn't think it was Lyme or a co-infection.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?

Post Reply