Lamotrigine and psych seizures

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
ChronicLyme19

Lamotrigine and psych seizures

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Wed 15 Jul 2015 5:55

Maybe this somehow makes sense, although I really don't know enough about the mechanisms of how seizures happen to understand this, but maybe this somehow is the missing link as to why lamotrigine works so well for Lyme mood issues.

I was reading this, which seems to do a decent job going through the seizure types cause by Lyme:
http://willtherebecake.org/2015/01/25/l ... -marriage/

Her description of the psych seizure sounded a heck of a lot like when I went on A-BIO and then freaked out an hour later. It was like having a nightmare while you are awake. All of a sudden the world was ending and I was hysterically crying out of the blue. So that got me thinking...

My psych likes to put her chronic Lyme patients on lamotrigine (Lamictal), and it seems to really work well for those of us in controlling mood with no side effects (well, maybe perhaps causing immune issues, but I mean compared to the standard psych drugs). BUT here's the fun part...lamotrigine is an anti-epileptic medication (that's used also to treat bipolar, and my psych's drug of choice for lyme mood issues).

So what if it's working to treat the mood disorders with Lyme because it's actually treating the focal psych seizures that the lyme is triggering? Wouldn't that make so much sense? My psych said she has no idea why lamictal works for some people with bipolar symptoms.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Lamotrigine and psych seizures

Post by admin » Wed 15 Jul 2015 16:07

Hi ChronicLyme19,

The idea of the Personal Stories section is to have one topic per person, where one can write about things specifically related to the personal story. I found out that you have now posted 5 topics Personal Stories section, at it seems to me that none of them really qualify as a personal story, and would fit fine the Medical section, with topic "My Experience with Several Herbals" rather in the Unconventional Methods section.

Would you agree with that and let me move the topics to those sections?

ChronicLyme19

Re: Lamotrigine and psych seizures

Post by ChronicLyme19 » Wed 15 Jul 2015 16:53

Ah sorry, my bad...didn't know we were supposed to keep it to one post in the personal stories area. Sorry! I put it here because I felt it was more conjecture since there was no science links backing it up. Please move it to where you feel it fits best.
Half of what you are taught is incorrect, but which half? What if there's another half missing?