Can the disease progress under treatment?

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Colb

Can the disease progress under treatment?

Post by Colb » Mon 5 Sep 2016 12:56

Hello everyone,

I'm a young man (23 years old) struggling with Lyme disease for more than 3 years now. After being left untreated for almost a year, several rounds of antibiotics have made me feel a lot better in term of general health (especially tiredness), but local symptoms (headaches, right side of the neck pain) have progressed a lot more slowly. Recently, between two treatments, I lost some healthy tissues (left part of my neck) to the bacteria, while this part of my body was resisting until now. I panicked and took some antibiotics right away (lymecycline and azithromycin) but it's like they did almost nothing and I now have swollen lymph nodes in my whole neck, with the associated rigidity and pain... Before this episode, I was quite optimistic about the outcome of the treatments, but this made me realize I would probably be sick my whole life... Even if this is hard to accept, I think I can handle it. Now, the problem is, I'm really panicked about how the disease may evolve in the futur. My brain seems to have been more or less spared until now (no brain fog, no memory problem), but the fact that I discovered that the infection was still acute (more or less) made me really wonder if the disease couldn't turn into a neuroborreliosis sooner or later, even with regular treatments (especially since I'm starting a PhD next month, I will need full brain capacities).

Does anyone know about the capacity of the disease to progress once it has been treated (and probably still under treatment for a while) ? I've been intensively looking on the web without finding anything reassuring. Some pertinent papers or personal stories would help me a lot (I hope).

Thank you!

PS: sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

lou

Re: Can the disease progress under treatment?

Post by lou » Thu 15 Sep 2016 0:36

Yes, it can still progress while in treatment, but that usually means that the treatment is not adequate, or you got more than one kind of germ from the tickbite and something else needs to be added to the treatment. It is not uncommon for a tick to carry multiple diseases, like babesia, ehrlichia, anaplasma, bartonella, etc.

What is being carried by the tick can vary with geographic locations, understanding that in many places this has not been investigated, so no record of it being there will exist. One thing you could do to determine what is known about the location where you were tickbitten is to google the location and ticks, or specific diseases. Then you could try the same search on pubmed.

Something that can be confusing is when it seems to get worse, it might be a herxheimer reaction and not a true progression.

Colb

Re: Can the disease progress under treatment?

Post by Colb » Thu 15 Sep 2016 14:21

Thank you for your answer.

Due to the slow progression of the disease in my case (I remained untreated for almost a year, and my symptoms did not evolve much), and the fact that I've probably been bitten by a tick in Austria, I think that I'm infected with the Borrelia afzelli specie (possibly garinii but less probable, especially since, for now, I dont have a neuroborreliosis).
Now the treatments have been quite efficient until now (although the progression have been slow), and I don't believe I have any coinfection since I have no associated symptom, and my immune system is not depressed.
Therefore, in the last few weeks, I came to believe that, in a way I can't explain, the bacteria can actually be stronger than the antibiotics when taking new tissues. Once the tissues have been colonized, then the antibiotics can only control the expansion of the bacteria (even the bactericide ones, not only bacteriostatic), but certainly not eradicate them (even when treating cysts, round bodies, biofilms etc.), as confirmed by some excellent doctors here ( http://www.tiredoflyme.com/can-i-ever-c ... alers.html ).

Lyme works in mysterious ways... But to answer my own question, and after making a lot of researches, I now think that if the disease is more or less under control with treatments, then there's no reason I would have a neuroborreliosis, even if this is the natural evolution of the disease with no treatments. However, I have no purely rational arguments to support this hypothesis.