Rapidly progressive frontal-type dementia[...] with Lyme...

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
cave76

Rapidly progressive frontal-type dementia[...] with Lyme...

Post by cave76 » Sat 2 Feb 2008 16:31

J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1995 Summer;7(3):345-7.Links

Rapidly progressive frontal-type dementia associated with Lyme
disease.

Waniek C, Prohovnik I, Kaufman MA, Dwork AJ.
New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY 10032, USA.

The authors report a case of fatal neuropsychiatric Lyme disease (LD) that
was expressed clinically by progressive frontal lobe dementia and
pathologically by severe subcortical degeneration.

Antibiotic treatment
resulted in transient improvement, but the patient relapsed after the
antibiotics were discontinued.

LD must be considered even in cases with
purely psychiatric presentation, and prolonged antibiotic therapy may be
necessary.

PMID: 7580195 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Cobwebby

Re: Rapidly progressive frontal-type dementia[...] with Lyme...

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 4 Apr 2008 15:35

In searching for info about doxy I stumbled on this topic.

It absolutely describes my experience. I plummeted from being a figurehead in my department to being a bobblehead in less than a year.

My spect scan seems to back this up also.

Hence my fear of Alzheimers-fortunately I did recover some clarity with IV Rocephin.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

itsy

Post by itsy » Fri 4 Apr 2008 15:51

This morning...

I didn't realize I put the wrong nasty poopy dog walking sneakers on to go to work for HOURS...

Meaning...

I put the completely wrong shoes on at 6:30am, drove almost an hour to work, made coffee here, cooked and ate my breakfast. At 8 am, I noticed that the shoes I'd ALREADY kicked off under the desk eating breakfast and reading here and LE's, were in fact my dog walking shoes when I went to put them on AGAIN to walk around. :o

I need a spect scan, I swear my brain only gets worse as time goes by.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Fri 4 Apr 2008 16:01

cobby said:

*****I plummeted from being a figurehead in my department to being a bobblehead in less than a year.*****

Got ya beat. I did that overnight. :(

And you DO NOT have Alzheimers! And yes, I'm qualified to give that dx. :)

Cognitive problems brought on by Lyme et al. will keep one from remembering to turn the stove off.

Alzheimer patients won't recognize what a stove is for.

You have Lyme and Friends. Keep on treating. Stumble across the right abx and you'll get better. Stop treating and you probably won't.

itsy---- I went to a therapist appt once with one turkey poop ranch shoe on and one clean, white shoe on. I guess that proved I needed that appt.. LOL

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Apr 2008 16:40

My son's main symptoms were and are neuropsychiatric. It hit him during high school, within a year of the bulls-eye and following neurologic symptoms of twitches, tremors, urinary retention, and fluctuating vision problems. When it hit his brain, it was swift and hard.
Antibiotic treatment resulted in transient improvement, but the patient relapsed after the
antibiotics were discontinued.

LD must be considered even in cases with purely psychiatric presentation, and prolonged antibiotic therapy may be necessary.

And this has been his experience.

Along with the neurologist that treated his Lyme, he also saw a psychiatrist that has been treating Lyme patients for over 15 years. She works with Dr. Fallon and co-authored the original paper on the neuropsychiatric manifestations of Lyme disease along with Fallon. She told us a couple of years ago that the longer she treats Lyme patients, the more convinced she is that the damage and resulting chemical imbalances are permanent for many patients.

A little historic side note: Polly Murray had been pushing Steere to pursue the psychiatric symptoms that plagued her family and so many of the others that contacted her about their illnesses from the beginning (mid-1970's). Finally after realizing that these symptoms were continuing to be ignored by the Yale team, she personally contacted Fallon and my son's psychiatrist to look into these symptoms in 1991, inviting them to her house to share her concerns and the information and case studies she had gathered. The psychiatrist told us about this and how she became involved in LD, but it is also in Murray's book "The Widening Circle." I wonder where we'd be today on the psychiatric involvement in Lyme disease infection if Polly hadn't taken matters into her own hands to get the medical community to take these manifestations seriously.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Fri 4 Apr 2008 16:51

claudia said:

*****I wonder where we'd be today on the psychiatric involvement in Lyme disease infection if Polly hadn't taken matters into her own hands to get the medical community to take these manifestations seriously.*****

She's a true 'hero' in my mind!

I KNOW that psychiatric manifestations are a huge factor in these TBIs. That's from my personal experience AND from hearing from hundreds of others.

And those 'symptoms' don't always have to show up as prominently as they did in me. :( There are always degrees in any symptom.)

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Apr 2008 16:59

I KNOW that psychiatric manifestations are a huge factor in these TBIs. That's from my personal experience AND from hearing from hundreds of others.

And those 'symptoms' don't always have to show up as prominently as they did in me. There are always degrees in any symptom.)
I know, but it is just another troubling aspect to Steere's involvement with Lyme disease that his professional, and I am guessing personal, discomfort with mental illness excluded these patients for over a decade from their studies and the medical literature.

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 4 Apr 2008 17:10

cave76 wrote:
And you DO NOT have Alzheimers! And yes, I'm qualified to give that dx. :)

Cognitive problems brought on by Lyme et al. will keep one from remembering to turn the stove off.

Alzheimer patients won't recognize what a stove is for.

You have Lyme and Friends. Keep on treating. Stumble across the right abx and you'll get better. Stop treating and you probably won't.
Keep reminding me! It helps, it really does.

Really sad note- I was housecleaning for an elderly couple-dear Catherine was diagnosed with Alzheimers-and it was really really evident.. One morning she came into the kitchen looking for her purses-which she kept stuffed with underwear and rubberbands etc. Anyway she saw this medicine on the kitchen table prescribed for Alzheimers and commented "That's for Alzheimers-I sure am glad I don't have Alzheimers!" The pathos of the moment will stay with me forever.

Dear Catherine, 80 years old, wearing the same church outfit everyday, sitting in the chair by the door ,wondering where her parents were, wondering where she was, wondering why her parents dropped her off there, warning me that there was a stranger in the back room(her husband of 50 years), having the same conversation with me every five minutes, and sometimes just wondering as she wandered.

Of course she never remembered me from day to day, or from room to room for that matter, but she always liked me-and I liked her-and could only wonder myself-what it must be like to be so lost.

I often wonder now-what if I had slipped her some antibiotics-would she have gotten better?
Martha Washington

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Fri 4 Apr 2008 17:15

Claudia-
I made a special trip to see a psychiatrist outside of Philly. She's the one who sent me for a Spect Scan.

She nailed my neuropsyche problems in one visit.

Because of distance and finances it just wasn't feasible for me to continue.

It just gripes me so much all the obstacles in the way of getting well.
Martha Washington

cave76

Post by cave76 » Fri 4 Apr 2008 17:20

Claudia said:

*******I know, but it is just another troubling aspect to Steere's involvement with Lyme disease that his professional, and I am guessing personal, discomfort with mental illness excluded these patients...*******

I agree. And maybe it IS personal with him. Generalizing here----- but men might have more problems recognizing a more nebulous illness. Comes from tinkering with too many cars when they were teens, where a broken fan belt was much easier to diagnose. LOL