Rapidly progressive frontal-type dementia[...] with Lyme...

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Joe Ham

Re: Rapidly progressive frontal-type dementia[...] with Lyme...

Post by Joe Ham » Fri 4 Apr 2008 18:00

Cavey wrote: "but men might have more problems recognizing a more nebulous illness."

Oh, we can recognize 'nebulous illnesses' okay, we just have had poor success treating them with the tools at our disposal; wrenches and hammers (and logic).

On a more positive note, Fallon's paper two years previously noted that:

"These disorders remitted after adequate antibiotic treatment."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8335 ... scovery_RA

Maybe we can assume that because Fallon is a brain doc that he intends "adequate antibiotic treatment" to mean antibiotics that have good BBB penetration and/or accumulation at therapeutic levels.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Fri 4 Apr 2008 18:05

Porky said:

*****Oh, we can recognize 'nebulous illnesses' okay, we just have had poor success treating them with the tools at our disposal; wrenches and hammers (and logic).******

It's counterintuitive and not at all productive to use wrenches, hammer and such primitive tools to produce 'logic".

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Apr 2008 18:15

On a more positive note, Fallon's paper two years previously noted that:

"These disorders remitted after adequate antibiotic treatment."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8335 ... scovery_RA

Maybe we can assume that because Fallon is a brain doc that he intends "adequate antibiotic treatment" to mean antibiotics that have good BBB penetration and/or accumulation at therapeutic levels.
"Remitted" as in remission, or relief. Long-term follow-up after treatment in this initial Fallon et al study would show the often relapsing nature of these symptoms.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Apr 2008 19:38

Also from 1995, The New York Times: "When Lyme invades the brain and spinal system:"

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A963958260

And June 17, 2001, The New York Times Magazine: "Stalking Dr. Steere Over Lyme Disease:"

A long, but interesting article that touches on a lot of topics, including some insight into Steere's feelings about mentally ill people, when Lyme itself causes mental illness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/17/magaz ... 1207454400

cave76

Post by cave76 » Fri 4 Apr 2008 20:55

From the article Claudia posted:

****Now, as Steere sat at his desk, he read a computer message posted by someone named Frank that said "Steere Has Been Scheduled For Termination."*****

LOL---- would that be our friend DeG.....???? Sounds like him. :)

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Apr 2008 21:17

The behavior of certain Lyme "activists" certainly hasn't helped the perception of Lyme disease patients in general as being medically ill with psychiatric symptoms -- and not just mental cases -- outside of the Lyme community, in the mainstream.

I know I could never post that comment OTOF (on the other forum), without starting the drumming and the gathering of torches and pitchforks, but I think it's a valid point.

That doesn't mean that I don't understand the frustration leading to such behaviors, but yikes. That type of behavior can only backfire on the Lyme community.

NellyP

Post by NellyP » Thu 10 Apr 2008 12:30

cave76 wrote:****Now, as Steere sat at his desk, he read a computer message posted by someone named Frank that said "Steere Has Been Scheduled For Termination."*****

LOL---- would that be our friend DeG.....???? Sounds like him. :)
Cavey,

Yes, that was DEFINITELY our friend F deG....! And look how much MILEAGE Steere got out of that comment on how he was being stalked by mad Lyme activists.

Frank meant it in a metaphorical fashion, as in "switched off" so that his ideas stopped being pushed forward as the only valid way to look at things. But Steere got bodyguards after that one remark on sci-med and is probably still playing martyr, and playing at being scared!

What a joke! Guess who's got to fear for their lives because of Mr Steere's ego and psycho-rigid frame of mind

Nelly

cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 10 Apr 2008 15:24

Claudia wrote:
The behavior of certain Lyme "activists" certainly hasn't helped the perception of Lyme disease patients in general as being medically ill with psychiatric symptoms -- and not just mental cases -- outside of the Lyme community, in the mainstream.
That's been my contention for quite a while. And probably others, who stayed quiet about it.
I know I could never post that comment OTOF (on the other forum), without starting the drumming and the gathering of torches and pitchforks, but I think it's a valid point.
I DID post that type of comment several times (more?) on LN. It was received with 'less than enthusiasm'. :D

In fact it was received with all the torches and pitchforks mentioned---- and probably one of the factors leading up to my banning. "Open discussion' was never open for discussion on LN UNLESS you agreed with the Alternavistas and certain Lyme Activists.

Oh, and the people who felt that presenting 'facts' was the work of the Devil. (Ask Fin about that.)

Oh, and the moderators personal point of view.

Oh, and those people who couldn't read a post correctly.

Oh, and those who were selling something---- either off his web site or his friends'/cohorts web-sites.

Oh----- well it goes on and on. :)

Nelly said:
Yes, that was DEFINITELY our friend F deG....! And look how much MILEAGE Steere got out of that comment on how he was being stalked by mad Lyme activists.

Frank meant it in a metaphorical fashion, as in "switched off" so that his ideas stopped being pushed forward as the only valid way to look at things
Yes, that's the point, exactly! In show biz there's the notion that there is no BAD publicity! :)

Steere et al. took that comment, twisted it back on itself AND all the Lymies in the world. The media just loved it and I'm sure Steere did also. :(

People on these "LYME" forums, sponsored by LDA, for gods sake!) saying that antibiotics are poison,
that the medical community is trying to 'kill' us and that any one of the more 'exotic' cures they endorse is the only way to effect a 'cure' or 'wellness', including magic waters and enemas-------- THOSE are the people who help the IDSA. Period.

[BTW---- I was put in deG's "kill filter" back when sci. med. was a good site. LOL It meant that I had probably disagreed with him and that's how he 'filtered' me out. :D :D He did that to MANY people----- and it was all in fun. Usually. :D]