pubmed ... treatment of nervous system Lyme disease

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Nick

Re: pubmed ... treatment of nervous system Lyme disease

Post by Nick » Sun 24 Feb 2008 23:15

minitails2 wrote: 3. I find it interesting that syphilis and now lyme are referred to as the great immitator, they both, I believe are caused by spirochetes and have very diffuse symptoms.
yes, treponema pallidum (the organism that causes syphilis) and the borrelias are both spirochetes, even though they are genetically VERY different (but much closer to each other than to other bacteria). This limited similarity is enough for causing many similarities in the diseases that these organisms cause, and the challenges they present to medical science (compared to most other infections). My neurologist (who also is a psychiatrist) got interested in Lyme because of the similar psychiatric symptoms he encountered with some patients that were later found to have lyme; it looked a lot like (late stage) syphilis.
minitails2 wrote: I noticed at the CDC website, that they refer to flagyl as an antibiotic, while you, and I'm sure many others, reject this type of classification, with, no doubt reasonable and well reasoned arguments.
like with the taxonomy, there are no universally accepted definitions here, and the trouble is that just like the word 'bacteria', 'antibiotic' is sometimes used in a very broad, loosely-defined sense.

I have my doubts about the Bb-cyst-busting effect of flagyl etc. (although I have taken the stuff myself). The few scientific articles to support this are not very convincing IMHO (mostly in vitro experiments, and most information comes from just two researchers while others express their doubt about these findings). And just like some scientists think certain antibiotics can cause Bb to go into the (harder to kill) cyst form, maybe the cyst-busters have other unpleasant side effects. There is very little we know for sure about these other Bb incarnations (cyst, CWD and maybe some of the other weird stuff you can see in blood microscopy).

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun 24 Feb 2008 23:21

cave76 wrote: Flagyl is called an abx. I don't know if that's 100% correct ---- but I call it The Death Drug. :(
after taking it and ending up in hospital a few days later, I read on Lymenut (?) that it was referred to as 'The Gates of Hell'. that pretty much sums up my experience :evil:

Joe Ham

Post by Joe Ham » Mon 25 Feb 2008 18:43

My experience with Flagyl was just the opposite of Nick. After several months of b'cidal and b'static abx I did a short course of Flagyl, starting with 250 mg at 8 AM.
At 12 noon I had a severe episode of shortness of breath that lasted about 2 hours. No nausea, sweating or chest pain but profound weakness that also lasted about 2 hours.

The second dose also at 8 AM the next day had the same effect but much milder. The third day there was no reaction at all so I dosed at 250 mg tid for a week. By the end of the week the well known side effect of headache was getting bothersome so I stopped.
The following month I felt the best that I had in 2 years.

Since then I have done 2 more 'pulses' of Flagyl and one of Tini but without the dramatic 'first days' effect. BTW the "kinder and gentler" Tini was NOT.

The last 2 years have been rather easy for me, with only occasional tired days, but nothing like the months on end of Lyme fatigue. I consider pulses of Flagyl as one of the mainstays of my regimen.

Your milage may vary, of course.