Babesia / Malaria treatment question?

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
CMR

Babesia / Malaria treatment question?

Post by CMR » Sat 8 Mar 2008 15:14

I found this information about Malaria

http://healthresources.caremark.com/topic/malaria#5 (this was edited so it is now correct)
"A drug called primaquine may prevent relapses after recovery from P. vivax or P. ovale. These relapses are caused by a form of the parasite that remains in the liver and can reactivate months or years later."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primaquine
"Radical cure
Primaquine is mainly used to treat the P. vivax or P. ovale malaria. Once the parasite has been eliminated from the bloodstream, the remaining hypnozoites must be removed from the liver and this is done by administering a 14 day course of primaquine (called radical cure).

If primaquine is not administered to patients with proven P. vivax or P. ovale infection, there is a very high likelihood relapse within weeks or months (sometimes years).

When attempting a radical cure, primaquine requires the presence of quinine or chloroquine in order to work.[2] If primaquine is given alone, the cure rate is only 21%. This is why primaquine should always be given with quinine or chloroquine. It is not known if other antimalarials such as mefloquine are likewise able to potentiate the effect of primaqu"

I know from personal experience with two people who had malaria that it realpsed on and off the rest of their lives. They were not treated with primaquine

I wonder if we also need to use primaquine at the end of Babesia treatment to prevent relapse???

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also...I am looking for a mailorder source of Artesuante/artemisia/artesunate (whatever) that someone has used and felt it helped.

Thank you.
Last edited by CMR on Sun 9 Mar 2008 3:05, edited 1 time in total.

cave76

Re: Babesia / Malaria treatment question?

Post by cave76 » Sat 8 Mar 2008 17:08

The link you gave (the first one) doesn't work. I 'think' it's because you gave the link to the "print view" and not the primary one. Perhaps you can change it?

So I had to turn to the not medical Wikipedia :)

Two items:

****Primaquine should not be administered to anyone with Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency as there can be a severe reaction with hemolytic anemia.****

****Primaquine should not be given to patients with NADH methemoglobin reductase deficiency.[5][6]****

If this is true----(assumption) then do doctors always test the patient first for those conditions? And are those tests more or less infallible?

I'm interested in learning more about this treatment. Do you have malaria? Or are you dx'd for Babesia and are trying to find an alternative to taking the recommended abx?

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Sat 8 Mar 2008 18:52

Very interesting. I've never heard of Primaquine ... but I also live in a country where malaria really isn't much of a problem.

I treated for babesia WA-1 many months ago, and I feel that my treatment was very effective. I have read studies in which immunocompromised individuals, as well as some cases complicated by Lyme, have suffered relapse after treating for babesia. I honestly do think, however, at least from everything I've read, that the parasite can be eradicated with relatively minimal treatment (a month or two of Mepron+macrolide).

It's only been eight months since my last dose of Mepron, so I suppose I can't say for certain that I'm out of the woods, but I have not experienced a relapse as of yet....

CMR

Post by CMR » Sun 9 Mar 2008 13:56

Sorry I did not reply - I am new to this and thought I had but don't see it.

Cave - I fixed the link above.

Malaria is not the problem, babesia is. Since the 2 are so similar, I thought I should look into this sort of "wrap-up" at the end. Since posted the above, I found one old post on Lymenet comparing it to how flagyl is used in Lyme to kill the cyst form, otherwise there were just a few mentions of it. Sounds like that is what it does, and should be added at the end of the other treatment but not many LLMD's are doing it.

I am also looking for a reliable source of Artemesian/Artesunate or one of those types from someone who has used it and feels they found a brand that is not counterfeited.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Sun 9 Mar 2008 15:15

CMR,

Thanks for fixing the link.

Here are my thoughts (my thoughts ONLY and not medical advice).

If you want a "reliable" source of Artemesian there's one woman here who seems to know more about it than I do. Perhaps she'll jump in with her opinion.

I take it, then, that you've already done the Mepron route and want to top it off with Art. ? Right?

Cysts: I can't say with any authority but it seems that the 'experts' are still looking into just what the cysts do, how they should be treated ets. But I do know that a lot of people have used art. and thought it helped.

Since art is a supplement---- perhaps some of the llmds (top tier) rather stick with flagyl. Of course, if you go to Lymenet.org you'll get a lot of information about art. Most personal opinions--- but a few with more valid references. :)

Sorry I'm not of more help. Keep asking--- someone may be along with real information.

NellyP

Post by NellyP » Sun 9 Mar 2008 18:28

LymeEnigma wrote: I honestly do think, however, at least from everything I've read, that the parasite can be eradicated with relatively minimal treatment (a month or two of Mepron+macrolide).
You honestly think?!

I haven't been over here on Lymenet Europe for a while and first thing I read is LE who "honestly thinks" she knows something that she knows nothing about but feels compelled to share with everybody!! Quite stunning really!

She has read that Babesia can be easily eradicated with minimal treatment!! Hasn't she also read that Lyme can be eradicated with a handful of doxy tablets? I have!

What are we all doing here discussing these topics, then?

Nelly (I think I'll quit reading here again)

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Sun 9 Mar 2008 19:20

I also speak from personal, seropositive experience, Nelly.