Burning pain

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Huck

Burning pain

Post by Huck » Tue 31 Jul 2007 18:16

Hello

I would like to hear if anybody has had relief from this symptom. I think its my worst symptom by far: I have constantly this burning, prickling, stinging feeling all over the body. Have some antibiotics been helpful? Or anything else, supplements? I'm currently taking clarithromycin - well just started - and hopeful that it will help.

Thanks

Huck

Martian

Re: Burning pain

Post by Martian » Tue 31 Jul 2007 18:47

Huck wrote:I would like to hear if anybody has had relief from this symptom. I think its my worst symptom by far: I have constantly this burning, prickling, stinging feeling all over the body. Have some antibiotics been helpful? Or anything else, supplements? I'm currently taking clarithromycin - well just started - and hopeful that it will help.
I don't have this symptom, but heard others about it. I think it's a neurological symptom. Perhaps vitamin B-complex helps for that.

Do you take the clarithromycin in combination with hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)?
Since 11 days I take each day: 2 times clarithromycin 500 mg + hydroxychloroquine 200 mg.

Huck

Post by Huck » Tue 31 Jul 2007 19:04

Martian wrote: I don't have this symptom, but heard others about it. I think it's a neurological symptom. Perhaps vitamin B-complex helps for that.

Do you take the clarithromycin in combination with hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)?
Since 11 days I take each day: 2 times clarithromycin 500 mg + hydroxychloroquine 200 mg.
Nope, just taking clarithromycin. And I started with a low dose (125 mg) and I plan to up it to 500-750 mg a day. When I tried it the 1st time with 500 mg I got pretty bad CNS symptoms (a herx maybe) so now I'm trying to do it more carefully.

Haven't had much luck with the b vitamins. :(

Martian

Clarithromycin + hydroxychloroquine

Post by Martian » Tue 31 Jul 2007 19:49

Huck wrote:Nope, just taking clarithromycin. And I started with a low dose (125 mg) and I plan to up it to 500-750 mg a day. When I tried it the 1st time with 500 mg I got pretty bad CNS symptoms (a herx maybe) so now I'm trying to do it more carefully.
1000 mg clarithromycin/day is used most. You know that it is advised to take it with hydroxychloroquine?

See: [url=http://www.lymenet.nl/europe/viewtopic.php?t=19]Macrolide therapy of chronic Lyme Disease - Donta

Huck

Post by Huck » Tue 31 Jul 2007 19:54

Yes I have heard about that but even getting this clarithromycin prescription was difficult because I dont have "official" Lyme diagnosis... and isnt that drug a bit risky too? Some have gotten eye damage etc?

Martian

hydroxychloroquine eye risk

Post by Martian » Tue 31 Jul 2007 20:10

Huck wrote:isnt that drug a bit risky too? Some have gotten eye damage etc?
That's possible, so you need to watch your eyes for abnormalities, but most people take HCQ for months without problems.

You can test your eyes with an Amsler grid.

Huck

Post by Huck » Tue 31 Jul 2007 20:17

Oh and another thing, isnt that drug somehow related to quinolones? I have had serious problems with them.

Martian

Post by Martian » Tue 31 Jul 2007 20:25

It belongs to the Aminoquinolines which sounds a bit the same as Quinolone, but I don't know how related they are.

Quinolone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinolone
Hydroxychloroquine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Thu 2 Aug 2007 16:00

Huck wrote
When I tried it the 1st time with 500 mg I got pretty bad CNS symptoms (a herx maybe) so now I'm trying to do it more carefully.
Which symptoms did you have exactly then?

Martian wrote:

Do you feel already a kind of reaction ?
Listen to all,
plucking a feather from every passing goose,
but follow no one absolutely

Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 2 Aug 2007 17:48

Yvonne wrote:Do you feel already a kind of reaction ?
I think so, but not significantly, so it's hard to tell whether this is not the normal "waxing and waning".