Reporting Lyme according to the CDC

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
cave76

Reporting Lyme according to the CDC

Post by cave76 » Wed 8 Apr 2009 17:22

HUH???

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5710a1.htm

Limitations

The findings in this report are subject to at least three limitations.

First, an unknown portion of all Lyme disease cases are reported; cases probably are underreported in areas in which the disease is endemic and overreported in areas in which the disease is not endemic. Misdiagnosis and overreporting from areas in which the disease is not endemic might explain the demographic differences noted between cases reported from HP2010 and non-HP2010 reference states.

Second, variation in reporting practices and adherence to the surveillance case definition occurs among states, in part because states invest unequally in infrastructure for Lyme disease surveillance. As a result, Lyme disease--specific variables for cases reported by certain states are incomplete, unavailable, or not transmitted to CDC.

Finally, cases are reported on the basis of the patient's state of residence rather than on the state in which the exposure occurred. Therefore, Lyme disease in a traveler returning from an area in which the disease is highly endemic cannot be construed as evidence of local transmission.

Cobwebby

Re: Reporting Lyme according to the CDC

Post by Cobwebby » Thu 9 Apr 2009 1:36

Well something must have changed criteria in MD because tonight's news mentioned that Lyme Disease has doubled, tripled and in some counties, quadrupled in this state.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

itsy

Post by itsy » Thu 9 Apr 2009 13:43

When the doctor reported mine, and the state called me to confirm, they asked me WHERE I got it. I let them know I didn't get it in my county of current residence but in NJ. I am pretty sure she wrote that down.

I asked why I had to go to MD to get diagnosed and why I had not even been tested in PA. She said "oh, probably due to the controversy, doctors here do not like to test for it."

Which would explain WHY a few mintes away in Garrett County MD there are tons of reported cases, as there are in several surrounding PA counties, but at last look, Lyme is NOT endemic in my county. ha ha ha. Reporting doesn't work anyway if docs don't test for it cause they are scared little babies.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 9 Apr 2009 15:24

itsy said:
She said "oh, probably due to the controversy, doctors here do not like to test for it."
[personal non contributory, non substantial commentary removed]