New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
User avatar
Muscle Car55
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri 9 Nov 2012 23:51
Location: Michigan

New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Muscle Car55 » Sat 10 Nov 2012 0:13

So what's the deal with this new SpiroFind test by Boulder Diagnostics? Claiming it can differentiate between active and past infection. Any info on this other than article
http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-high ... /81247608/
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/09/497317 ... unces.html

Sounds pretty promising. As we know how helpful being able to detect an active infection could be, preventing the insurance companies from denying us treatment along with the doctors etc....

I know Time for Lyme group is working on something too, there drug is to start clinical trials in the middle of next year and they say they're possibly on the verge of a more accurate diagnostic test. Being able to detect Lyme disease markers and distinguish the disease from chronic fatigue syndrome.
http://www.stamfordplus.com/stm/informa ... 2&month=11

Camp Other
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed 2 Mar 2011 4:32
Contact:

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Camp Other » Sat 10 Nov 2012 2:39

Muscle Car55 wrote:So what's the deal with this new SpiroFind test by Boulder Diagnostics? Claiming it can differentiate between active and past infection. Any info on this other than article
http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-high ... /81247608/
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/09/497317 ... unces.html

Sounds pretty promising. As we know how helpful being able to detect an active infection could be, preventing the insurance companies from denying us treatment along with the doctors etc....

I know Time for Lyme group is working on something too, there drug is to start clinical trials in the middle of next year and they say they're possibly on the verge of a more accurate diagnostic test. Being able to detect Lyme disease markers and distinguish the disease from chronic fatigue syndrome.
http://www.stamfordplus.com/stm/informa ... 2&month=11
I've read the same article you have and also want to know more.

The SpiroFind test, from what I can tell, is going to be based on biomarkers in patients that relate to inflammation rather than direct detection tests such as a culture or an antibody-based test. This is my assumption, based on what I've read of the research done by the professor from Raboud University who is working with Boulder Diagnostics.

You can read my blog entry about it and other chronic Lyme disease research here:
http://campother.blogspot.com/2012/11/n ... r-all.html

Camp Other
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed 2 Mar 2011 4:32
Contact:

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Camp Other » Sat 10 Nov 2012 2:53

As for the rest of what you asked about here:
Muscle Car55 wrote: I know Time for Lyme group is working on something too, there drug is to start clinical trials in the middle of next year and they say they're possibly on the verge of a more accurate diagnostic test. Being able to detect Lyme disease markers and distinguish the disease from chronic fatigue syndrome.
http://www.stamfordplus.com/stm/informa ... 2&month=11
"Time for Lyme" is now the "Lyme Research Alliance". They changed their name and have a new web site: http://www.lymeresearchalliance.org/

They have been supporting research on the drug to treat chronic Lyme, VGV-L, which is being developed by the company Viral Genetics and is based on research by Dr. Karen Newell-Rogers and others.

The drug is anticipated to get approval by the FDA for beginning clinical trials within several months. When is unclear; I keep tabs on the Viral Genetics site.

You can use the search function for this forum to find posts on VGV-L. We've discussed it in the past.

And you can also check out 3 entries on my blog about VGV-L:

http://campother.blogspot.com/2012/04/v ... ch-results

http://campother.blogspot.com/2012/06/v ... -lyme.html

http://campother.blogspot.com/2012/04/n ... vgv-l.html


Edited to Add:

However, you might want to keep an eye out for a new shareholder announcement. Something is going down today, and it looks like VRAL stocks are what is going down: http://finance.yahoo.com/mb/VRAL/

User avatar
Muscle Car55
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri 9 Nov 2012 23:51
Location: Michigan

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Muscle Car55 » Sat 10 Nov 2012 3:11

Nice blog! You should pop some AdSense on there to make some money. Great to see you keeping up with Lyme info, definitely going to bookmark your site. Used to make websites for a living eight months ago before I got Lyme arthritis and it is totally knocked out my business.

If VGV-L does what it's supposed to, it could possibly get me back to work. I can deal with other symptoms not the inflammation, it totally disables me from work. But I'm sure the drug won't be out for another year, possibly longer.

I honestly thought after year I'd turn the corner, not the case at all. Inflammation is ongoing, probably doing damage now.

thanks for the info.

Camp Other
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed 2 Mar 2011 4:32
Contact:

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Camp Other » Sat 10 Nov 2012 3:49

Muscle Car55 wrote:Nice blog! You should pop some AdSense on there to make some money. Great to see you keeping up with Lyme info, definitely going to bookmark your site. Used to make websites for a living eight months ago before I got Lyme arthritis and it is totally knocked out my business.
Thank you.

I know I could make some money off of the site, but I decided against it. I'm not selling anything, not even a Lyme green ribbon - and information I share on this site is open source and free to everyone. I have a Creative Commons license on each entry and people are free to share it as long as they give Camp Other Blog credit.

I'm sorry your arthritis has had such a major impact on your job. It has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with in not being able to work any more. I have to do something, so I work on research and the blog. And I am able to periodically type and do research online because I am set up so I can lie back and type from a laptop in bed. So far, the joints in my fingers and wrists seem to work fine - it's the rest of my body that needs an overhaul.
Muscle Car55 wrote: If VGV-L does what it's supposed to, it could possibly get me back to work. I can deal with other symptoms not the inflammation, it totally disables me from work. But I'm sure the drug won't be out for another year, possibly longer.

I honestly thought after year I'd turn the corner, not the case at all. Inflammation is ongoing, probably doing damage now.
I have been hopeful. I'm willing to sign up for clinical trials provided I know enough about the risks and benefits it is worth the risks and benefits. After all I've been through with tickborne diseases and treating them, I have already endured side effects and taken risks I would in some cases take again - and in some cases, wouldn't. It is what it is.

I think that the immune system plays a big role in our condition. Getting the inflammation down is important, and all the dietary tips and drugs already used to reduce inflammation can only go so far. So something new has to come down the pike, IMO. I'm still investigating Low Dose Naltrexone. It is one of those drugs that, unfortunately, has been overhyped to treat too many things without clinical trials to back them but just enough pilot studies to spark interest. I don't think it will work equally well for everyone, but it helps a number of people and showed some positive results in a study on fibromyalgia at Stanford.
Muscle Car55 wrote: thanks for the info.
You're welcome.

User avatar
Muscle Car55
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri 9 Nov 2012 23:51
Location: Michigan

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Muscle Car55 » Sat 10 Nov 2012 3:51

Some great info about the drug, thanks, gonna come back to your blog and read more later.

While so many patients are convinced that everything has to do with infection, I think that the immune system is contributing to a lot of the symptoms. But there's still factual evidence contributing to an active infection because of biofilms and the research done on the monkeys with persistent infection. As you say in one of the articles, treatment should consist of both antibiotics and VGV-L.

User avatar
Muscle Car55
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri 9 Nov 2012 23:51
Location: Michigan

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Muscle Car55 » Sat 10 Nov 2012 4:08

Camp Other wrote:
I know I could make some money off of the site, but I decided against it. I'm not selling anything, not even a Lyme green ribbon - and information I share on this site is open source and free to everyone. I have a Creative Commons license on each entry and people are free to share it as long as they give Camp Other Blog credit.
Yeah I figured, it's the right choice, just thought I'd mention it.
Camp Other wrote:
I'm sorry your arthritis has had such a major impact on your job. It has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with in not being able to work any more. I have to do something, so I work on research and the blog. And I am able to periodically type and do research online because I am set up so I can lie back and type from a laptop in bed. So far, the joints in my fingers and wrists seem to work fine - it's the rest of my body that needs an overhaul.
Sorry to hear you have inflammation as well. I had some contraptions set up so I could keep working until it hit my hands. Had a zero gravity chair, helped my sciatica a little bit. Then bought a blown up bed to lay down and use these mechanical arms to hold up my LCD screen and keyboard.

How long have you had the inflammation?
Camp Other wrote:
I think that the immune system plays a big role in our condition. Getting the inflammation down is important, and all the dietary tips and drugs already used to reduce inflammation can only go so far. So something new has to come down the pike, IMO. I'm still investigating Low Dose Naltrexone. It is one of those drugs that, unfortunately, has been overhyped to treat too many things without clinical trials to back them but just enough pilot studies to spark interest. I don't think it will work equally well for everyone, but it helps a number of people and showed some positive results in a study on fibromyalgia at Stanford.
yeah after flagyl, think Low Dose Naltrexonelike might be next in line for me. Think it's a bit overhyped too, haven't heard many good things about it even though Dr. Horowitz claims it's a good job for Lyme.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri 20 Jul 2012 21:59

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by panda » Sat 10 Nov 2012 6:29

Spirofind:

We had a longer discussion on a German forum about this new test.

Yes, this test is measuring pro-inflammatory cytokines, IFN γ (Interferon gamma) and IL-1β (Interleukin 1 beta), after exposing peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) of the patient with a cocktail of Bb antigens. But, it seemed more experimental in October 2012.

http://borreliose-forum.by-jojo.de/show ... 33#pid2633

automatic translation:
http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... %23pid2633

Best,
Panda

Camp Other
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed 2 Mar 2011 4:32
Contact:

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by Camp Other » Sat 10 Nov 2012 7:53

panda wrote:Spirofind:

We had a longer discussion on a German forum about this new test.

Yes, this test is measuring pro-inflammatory cytokines, IFN γ (Interferon gamma) and IL-1β (Interleukin 1 beta), after exposing peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) of the patient with a cocktail of Bb antigens. But, it seemed more experimental in October 2012.

http://borreliose-forum.by-jojo.de/show ... 33#pid2633

automatic translation:
http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... %23pid2633

Best,
Panda
Thank you, panda, for sharing this. It was an informative read. Having the link to the patent was excellent.

Judging from the comments, it looks like patients have already been using this test in September though the "official" launch seemed to come today. How long has this test been available in Germany?

I also noticed there is a requirement for patients to NOT take antibiotics for 4 weeks before using this test or it will interfere with results... yet someone took the test at one point before the 4 weeks was up and found their result was higher not lower. Given antibiotics' anti-inflammatory properties, I find that interesting.

User avatar
panda
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri 20 Jul 2012 21:59

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by panda » Sat 10 Nov 2012 9:52

@ Camp Other

The test was offered free of charges to a couple of patients in August and September 2012, declared as a study. But, physicians and patients were not well informed. The new laboratory was not interested in the clinical picture of the patients, in serological test results or in taken medications.

The quantity of Bb antigens ("MOI") for cell stimulation was changed from one day to the other, also the reference values.

All variables seemed in progress.

Best,
Panda

Post Reply