New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
X-member

Re: New Drug and Diagnostics on the Horizon

Post by X-member » Sat 10 Nov 2012 15:26

CO wrote earlier:
They have been supporting research on the drug to treat chronic Lyme, VGV-L, which is being developed by the company Viral Genetics and is based on research by Dr. Karen Newell-Rogers and others.
What kind of chronic Lyme are they talking about?

Edit to add:

You can find an explanation for why I ask this in the topic/thread below:

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... =60#p32597

Camp Other

Post by Camp Other » Sat 10 Nov 2012 18:20

Carina wrote:CO wrote earlier:
They have been supporting research on the drug to treat chronic Lyme, VGV-L, which is being developed by the company Viral Genetics and is based on research by Dr. Karen Newell-Rogers and others.
What kind of chronic Lyme are they talking about?

Edit to add:

You can find an explanation for why I ask this in the topic/thread below:

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... =60#p32597
Based on Viral Genetics' white sheets and shareholder write-ups, the drug is used to treat immune system dysregulation. This dysregulation can occur quite early in the disease and continue for years. So on that count, it sounds more like it targets the immune system rather than the bacteria. But the more you read the descriptions of the product and read Dr. Newell-Rogers' papers, the more it appears that the immune system 'correction' would also help you fight off any bacteria if it is there.

Based on the patents for the drug, it sounds like there is an option for the drug to be administered with an antigen and/or antibiotics/antimicrobials in case an active infection is still present. You can read more about that aspect of the patent here, as I pulled it out and highlighted it:
One thing which I have thought of (and heard a few patients mention in passing) is that this candidate drug is only for treating inflammation and would only address an autoimmune angle relating to chronic Lyme disease.

However, this is not the case:

If you read the full patents, VGV-L's technology works not only to reduce inflammation, it also works to rebalance the immune system so that it is focused on fighting infection in a targeted manner. And in terms of treatment with VGV-L, patients may not just receive VGV-L alone - but also receive a bacterial antigen and antibacterial (possibly also antiparasitic and/or antiviral) therapy concurrently to treat their condition.

Refer to this patent: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20110118175.

Here is the excerpt from the patent concerning the treatment of infections using this technology - including Lyme disease:

[0169] Bacterial diseases that can be treated or prevented by the methods of the present invention are caused by bacteria including, but not limited to, mycobacteria, rickettsia, mycoplasma, neisseria, Borrelia and legionella.

[0170] Although Applicant is not bound by a specific mechanism of action it is believed that the CLIP inhibitors of the invention displace CLIP from MHC class I and cause down regulation of Treg activity and/or activation of effector T cells such as γδT cells. Downregulation of regulatory function of Treg activity prevents suppression of the immune response and enables the subject to mount an effective or enhanced immune response against the bacteria. At the same time the Treg cell may shift to an effector function, producing an antigen specific immune response. Thus, replacement of CLIP with a peptide of the invention results in the promotion of an antigen specific CD8+ response against the bacteria, particularly when the peptide is administered in conjunction with a tumor specific antigen. Activation of effector T cells also enhances the immune response against the bacteria, leading to a more effective treatment.

[0171] One component of the invention involves promoting an enhanced immune response against the bacteria by administering the compounds of the invention. The compounds may be administered in conjunction with an antigen to further promote a bacterial specific immune response. A "bacterial antigen" as used herein is a compound, such as a peptide or carbohydrate, associated with a bacteria surface and which is capable of provoking an immune response when expressed on the surface of an antigen presenting cell in the context of an MHC molecule. Preferably, the antigen is expressed at the cell surface of the bacteria.

[0172] The compounds of the invention may be used in combination with anti-bacterial agents. Examples of such agents to treat bacterial infections include, but are not limited to, folate antagonists (e.g., mafenide, silver sulfadiazine, succinylsulfathiazole, sulfacetamide, sulfadiazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfasalazine, sulfisoxazole, pyrimethoamine, trimethoprim, co-trimoxazole), inhibitors of cell wall synthesis (e.g., penicillins, cephalosporins, carbapenems, monobactams, vacomycin, bacitracin, clavulanic acid, sulbactam, tazobactam), protein synthesis inhibitors (e.g., tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, macrolides, chloramphenicol, clindamycin), fluoroquinolones (e.g., ciproloxacin, enoxacin, lomefloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin), nalidixic acid, methenamine, nitrofurantoin, aminosalicylic acid, cycloserine, ethambutol, ethionamide, isoniazid, pyrazinamide, rifampin, clofazimine, and dapsone.
More here on my blog:

http://campother.blogspot.com/2012/04/v ... e-for.html

I add: I really don't know what the status is for VGV-L at the moment or for Viral Genetics at present. There hasn't been a posted shareholder letter since September. The good news is they settled a 5 year legal dispute with another company in the past two months. However, there has been no FDA approval for the drug's clinical trials and that is nail biting for a number of people - including, I'm sure, the Lyme Research Alliance.

X-member

Post by X-member » Sat 10 Nov 2012 23:54

Interesting!

Thank you, CO.