Jessica Bernstein: Check Adam Lanza for Lyme disease

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Martian

Post by Martian » Thu 3 Jan 2013 22:17

Source: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion ... d1f80.html

January 01, 2013 4:45 am

Dear Editor: As a doctor of psychology with Lyme disease I wanted to raise the question of whether Lyme disease might be a contributing factor to the horrible shooting in Connecticut. Newton is located in a highly Lyme-endemic area. Although most people or animals with Lyme or other tick-borne diseases are not violent, a small percentage have demonstrated violent behavior.

Many may remember the chimpanzee named Travis who attacked the woman and tore off her face. That chimpanzee had Lyme disease and lived in Connecticut.

Psychiatrist Robert Bransfield, M.D., estimates that aggressive behavior has been a significant issue for approximately 100 to 200 patients with Lyme disease that he has evaluated or treated. He also emphasizes that most patients with Lyme or other tick-borne diseases “are not violent and should not be stigmatized. ... Clearly violence is a very complex issue. Many different factors have contributory or deterrent effects.”

As Bransfield says, there are likely multiple factors contributing to the level of violence displayed by Adam Lanza, including easy access to guns, but it is important that we don’t overlook Lyme. This disease is grossly underdiagnosed despite reaching epidemic proportions in areas throughout the United States, with rates more than doubling since 1991.

Given the unfathomable nature of this act, Adam Lanza should be tested for Lyme and the other tick-borne diseases. Whether or not he actually had one of these illnesses, psychologists and physicians need to be better informed about the many ways that these tick-borne diseases can manifest.

Jessica Bernstein

Oakland, Calif.

Also see the following related LNE topics, both from 2009:

Neuropsych Lyme Rage? (about the chimp attack mentioned in the article above)
Lyme Rage -- Killing (about a murder, which was attributed by some to Lyme disease)

edit: added links to related LNE topics
Last edited by Martian on Sat 5 Jan 2013 0:36, edited 1 time in total.

inmacdonald

Re: Jessica Bernstein: Check Adam Lanza for Lyme disease

Post by inmacdonald » Fri 4 Jan 2013 1:59

Thank you for the post of this news article.

The Connecticut State Medical Chief Medical Examiner has complete discretion over
the scope of the Autopsy. Lyme Focused Autopsies are not practiced anywhere in the world,
as pathologists in busy practice and medical examiners in busy practice have more
work than can be supported by the available staffing.

Paul Harrison Duray MD is deceased; and left no understudies in the method of the Lyme focused
autopsy.

I am retired, and I have no interested pathologists in the Lyme Focused autopsy.

Some questions will remain unanswered until this area of special interest attracts the interest
of individuals with special training and expertise in discovering Borrelia in human tissues.

Many Years ago, based on the syphilis model, I investigated 10 cases of Sudden Infant Death
in Suffolk County New York with the kind co-operation of the incumbent medical examiner.

I based my work with SIDS Tissues from the Medical Examiner's Office on the published literature
of Congenital Syphilis which demonstrated an excess of miscarriages, Stillbirths, and Neonatal deaths
with some cases showing Death in Early Infancy ( Tardive syphilis of infancy)- in a SIDS like presentation.

I documented Borrelia spirochetes in 2 of 10 cases of SIDS; in the study. I published these results in
Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America in my article entitled " Gestational Lyme Borreliosis- implications
for the Fetus" They were ignored.

hv808ct

Post by hv808ct » Fri 4 Jan 2013 17:50

by Martian » Thu 3 Jan 2013 22:17
Source: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion ... d1f80.html

Dear Editor: As a doctor of psychology with Lyme disease I wanted to raise the question of whether Lyme disease might be a contributing factor to the horrible shooting in Connecticut. Newton is located in a highly Lyme-endemic area. Although most people or animals with Lyme or other tick-borne diseases are not violent, a small percentage have demonstrated violent behavior.
Many may remember the chimpanzee named Travis who attacked the woman and tore off her face. That chimpanzee had Lyme disease and lived in Connecticut.
Some of my colleagues were wondering how long it would be before some Lymenut connected the Ct. shootings with Lyme disease. It was longer than most of them thought, proving, I suppose, that even Lymenuts take time off for Christmas.

I have to say I’m a bit surprised that someone would up the ante by further trying to link a mass shooting to Lyme disease via way of a chimp attack. There is no credible evidence to suggest that the chimp in question had Lyme disease. (Or for that matter, had access to firearms.) One does not need to invoke an infectious disease to explain a mass shooting or a wild animal attack; though if one is so inclined I suggest they look to the two enabling idiots who set the stages for these two tragedies. One kept a wild, powerful 100-kilo animal as a household pet; the other trained an isolated, dysfunctional individual in the use of military-style weapons. What could go wrong?

Still, I’m sure many Lymenuts will try to blame a recurring and almost uniquely American phenomenon (mass killings with military weapons) on a common bacterial infection. Maybe they can get together with the NRA to promote the idea that “Guns don’t kill people, Lyme disease does.” I can see the bumper stickers now.
by inmacdonald » Fri 4 Jan 2013 1:59

The Connecticut State Medical Chief Medical Examiner has complete discretion over
the scope of the Autopsy. Lyme Focused Autopsies are not practiced anywhere in the world,
as pathologists in busy practice and medical examiners in busy practice have more
work than can be supported by the available staffing.
There are no “Lyme Focused Autopsies” for the simple reason that it is very difficult to die from an actual case of Lyme disease. See:
Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Feb 1;52(3):364-7. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciq157. Epub 2010 Dec 28.
A review of death certificates listing Lyme disease as a cause of death in the United States.
Kugeler KJ, Griffith KS, Gould LH, Kochanek K, Delorey MJ, Biggerstaff BJ, Mead PS.
http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/52/3/364.long
Many Years ago, based on the syphilis model, I investigated 10 cases of Sudden Infant Death
in Suffolk County New York with the kind co-operation of the incumbent medical examiner.

I documented Borrelia spirochetes in 2 of 10 cases of SIDS; in the study. I published these results in Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America in my article entitled " Gestational Lyme Borreliosis- implications for the Fetus" They were ignored.
And rightly so.

More than 20 years ago, MacD wrote: “Autopsy and clinical studies have associated gestational Lyme borreliosis with various medical problems including fetal death, hydrocephalus, cardiovascular anomalies, neonatal respiratory distress, hyperbilirubinemia, intrauterine growth retardation, cortical blindness, sudden infant death syndrome, and maternal toxemia of pregnancy. Whether any or all of these associations are coincidentally or causally related remains to be clarified by further investigation. It is my expectation that the spectrum of gestational Lyme borreliosis will expand into many of the clinical domains of prenatal syphilis.”

More than 20 years later, none of that is evident.

duncan

Post by duncan » Fri 4 Jan 2013 18:11

"Some of my colleagues were wondering how long it would be before some Lymenut connected the Ct. shootings with Lyme disease."

Really? This is what they (and, apparently, you) fret about in your spare time??

:shock:

Maybe I am misunderstanding who is the Lymenut here...

Bagge

Post by Bagge » Fri 4 Jan 2013 19:09

hv808ct wrote: Some of my colleagues were wondering how long it would be before some Lymenut connected the Ct. shootings with Lyme disease. It was longer than most of them thought, proving, I suppose, that even Lymenuts take time off for Christmas.
It took less than two days. The original reference was deleted due to the history of the individual involved. We don't need any more violence.

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Fri 4 Jan 2013 22:17

Lyme focused autopsy: Lyme Borreliosis - autopsy confirmed with human death due to overwhelming infection.
_______________________________________________-
Fetal Composite  small.jpg
Human autopsy with Lyme borreliosis as cause of death and malformation
Fetal Composite small.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
____________________________------
link;
Supreme court grants widow Lyme disease autopsy for dead husband
http://www.ibtimes.com/supreme-court-gr ... and-192752

Alan B. MacDonald MD, FCAP FASCP

Note:
Hv808ct doesn't make medical diagnoses , nor does he understand the purpose of the autopsy
because he never graduated from medical school.

I suppose that hv808ct truly believes that there is nothing to be learned from the Autopsy.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Jan 2013 22:44

Does anyone know what the status is of Lyme disease autopsy research and studies coming out of The Columbia Specimen Resource Repository: http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=7&t=3807

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Fri 4 Jan 2013 23:00

there are no results to report yet.
Specimens are being banked for storage and for future study.

Alan

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Fri 4 Jan 2013 23:03

Thank you for your reply, Dr. MacDonald.

Bagge

Post by Bagge » Sat 5 Jan 2013 12:37

inmacdonald wrote: I documented Borrelia spirochetes in 2 of 10 cases of SIDS; in the study. I published these results in Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America in my article entitled " Gestational Lyme Borreliosis- implications for the Fetus" They were ignored.
Some methods and types of documentation may be greatly lacking and inherently flawed, such as demonstrated here.