Internet Shills

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
TicksSuck

Re: Internet Shills

Post by TicksSuck » Wed 21 Jan 2015 22:55

nochroniclyme wrote:Oh wow, thank you! I take it as a compliment that you think I am a hired professional. I have never posted on this site before, although I did search it quite a few times while thinking I had Lyme. The reason why I didn't say what I had been diagnosed with is the same reason I listed in the post. Everything, and I mean everything, can and will be ultimately linked back to Lyme Disease in the minds of certain people. Not only that, but my story is a long one. But if you are interested, I am about to answer some of the questions on the original post. Perhaps my post looks suspicious because I have spent months on end researching this. And I am tired of being screamed at that I need Lyme treatment by people that cannot seem to get their minds wrapped around the fact that not everything is Lyme. I am hoping that other people that are in my situation searching on this site will be helped by my comments. I am not a conspirator, but this really reinforces in my mind that there is a great amount of unnecessary paranoia about there being a conspiracy revolving the CDC and ID docs.
Oh, yeah! That happens all the time. In fact, this is the reason I got treated for Lyme. Peer pressure. :mrgreen:

TicksSuck

TicksSuck

Post by TicksSuck » Thu 22 Jan 2015 3:29

nochroniclyme wrote:But if you are interested, I am about to answer some of the questions on the original post.
Please don't let my paranoid comment distract you. I am (and surely many others here are) very interested in your answers!

TicksSuck

TicksSuck

Post by TicksSuck » Thu 22 Jan 2015 4:19

But of course, take your time, meet up with your buddies to discuss what and how to answer, get approval, etc. No hurry.

velvetmagnetta

Post by velvetmagnetta » Thu 22 Jan 2015 7:24

OK, "nochroniclyme"...

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat!! :o

What did you end up having if it wasn't Lyme disease? What was your final diagnosis??

And did you get better? If so, how?

Do tell...

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Thu 22 Jan 2015 16:15

I've been thinking about why this story told by NCL seems fake (and please forgive me if by some long odds, it's genuine - in that case, you might be interested in why it seems wrong.)

First, the sequence of events seems both unrealistically compressed in time, and out of order. All this in eight months? Not very likely.

Second, it is peculiar, as CL19 mentioned, that this person isn't eager to share the diagnosis and treatment that "she" accepted, and that resulted in a cure. We don't know what the symptoms were, that suggested to NCL that she had LD (which is also a strange omission - there was no known tickbite or rash, so why would LD leap to mind, before all the other possibilities?) Wouldn't any person of good will want to share their personal discovery of another illness, that looks like LD, but isn't, and is so easily diagnosed and treated, that the person is completely well, only eight months after the onset of the illness? In the absence of that specific information, the post is of no use to other sufferers. The explanation that NCL didn't reveal the true diagnosis because she doesn't want to be "screamed at" that she really does have LD, makes no sense. No one here does that, as NCL would know if she has been following LNE for awhile, as she says. What does an actual late LD patient care, if some stranger thought she had Lyme, on little evidence, but now thinks she doesn't?

Next, the terminology used is strange and inconsistent. On one hand, the person sounds like an old hand in both IDSA and ILADS concepts. Referring casually to the implications of IgM and IgG bands, CD57, the difference between a marker and a diagnostic, the use of the term "asymptomatic," do not support the idea that this is a person who, eight months ago, was naively vulnerable to exploitation by a particularly irresponsible doctor who claimed to be an LLMD. Anyone with this level of sophistication would surely have consulted mainstream medicine extensively, before venturing into LLMD territory. And they probably would have found a much better LLMD to consult.

What's up with testing the asymptomatic husband for CD57? And yet not ordering a Lyme test? That's just weird.

The more general way of thinking about what rings false in this post, is that it consists of a collection of memes that are characteristic of AHILD PR. There are too many of these memes collected in one place, to make it plausible that one person experienced them all; let alone in an eight-month period. Granted, with billions of people in the world, just about any collection of experiences can happen to one person, so it's not impossible. But taken together with the strange mix of terminology and the casual insults (saying that we're paranoid, and that we're accusing the CDC and IDSA of being "evil") that it just looks to me like something cobbled together by one of the less capable AHILD reps. I have a hypothesis in mind as to who might do such a thing, but no solid evidence, so I'll leave it at that.

And, NCL, if you are a real person, congratulations on getting well, and best wishes for a happy life, with LD as a mere distant memory of a short episode of mistaken diagnosis. Please do post once more, with the answer to your medical mystery. I'm curious, of course, and it might help someone. (Not my family patients; they have solid evidence of Bb infection; but someone.) We should all be so lucky as you.
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman