Lyme Disease-Autism Link Debunked

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
Henry

Re: Lyme Disease-Autism Link Debunked

Post by Henry » Sat 11 May 2013 14:47

Lorima: I agree, good advice. Let's be positive and start by examining the "facts" indicating that Lyme disease induces autism, or that patients who believe that they have chronic Lyme disease actually have a persistent Borrelia infection, or that extended antibiotic therapy for chronic Lyme disease is beneficial and safe for the treatment of chronic Lyme disease, or that there is a precise clinical definition for chronic Lyme disease that enables one to distinguish it from other noninfectious conditions with similar symptoms ....Isn't it unethical -- at the very least-- for a physician to treat in the absence of unequivocal evidence on these issues? I would expect at least that much from a competent physician. How does one defend such conduct, especially when dealing with a disease -- like Lyme disease-- that, in contrast to HIV/AIDS or cancer, is not lethal or life threatening?

nnecker

Post by nnecker » Sat 11 May 2013 15:22

But Henry,don't you know that the current Lyme establishment,Big-Pharma,and the insurance companies are hiding and distorting all the facts about Lyme disease?

They are out to extract our money and to purposely do us bodily harm because they are evil nasty people who don't care about anybody but themselves.I thought you knew that? ;)

Henry

Post by Henry » Sat 11 May 2013 16:02

nnecker: Thank you reminding me about all of these many "forces of evil". And of course, there is always the ever present "government conspiracy".... I neglected to mention that patients should also demand to see evidence to support the benefits of unorthodox approaches (e.g., rife machines, chelating agents, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, neutraceuticals etc,) that are so often recommended by LLMDs -- before they shell out their hard earned money. Why are these "facts" being hidden and who is hiding them? The reason health insurance companies don't pay for such services is simply because there is no evidence that they are beneficial, much less safe. I call that a "good business" practice, not a conspiracy. We all complain about the high cost of medical care; here's a good way to do something about it.

nnecker

Post by nnecker » Sat 11 May 2013 16:25

According to this article we must be doing something right.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/1 ... time-high/

http://www.innovationfiles.org/pharmace ... longevity/
Damn that Big-Pharma and those nasty insurance companies. :lol:
Last edited by nnecker on Mon 13 May 2013 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Sat 11 May 2013 23:51

This looks like emotional venting; I'll just leave you two to cool off. 
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman

Bagge

Post by Bagge » Sun 12 May 2013 0:12

Lorima wrote:This looks like emotional venting; I'll just leave you two to cool off. 
Well, thank goodness someone has a conscience and needs to vent. The perplexing thing is that activists, pseudo-scientific journalists and authors with a flair for book writing can travel the world and promote the treatments of 'LLMDs', but others are not free to speak out against them and present facts to the contrary, else they would get hit with a SLAPP or libel suit.

My sincere condolences to the next person. Hopefully they will survive and live beyond their Lymeland treatment. Otherwise, my condolences extend to their family and next of kin.

Henry

Post by Henry » Sun 12 May 2013 14:45

Lorima: Someone once said that "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge." It is always a good policy to ask to see the evidence that a particular remedy is REALLY beneficial for the treatment of Lyme disease, rather than believe what someone says on the internet. Ask to see the facts, or suffer the consequences. A few people -- simply due to a placebo effect-- always will seem to improve after any therapy; however, unless a significant percentage -- relative to placebo controls-- improve, there is no real and lasting benefit. Don't be fooled by false, unsubstantiated claims.

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Mon 13 May 2013 15:11

Henry, 
You seem to assume that I am here to repeat what I've been told by somebody else, and that I've just chosen the wrong "somebody" to parrot. This may be hard to grasp, but I'm not here to push anybody else's point of view. I gave that kind of thing up, decades ago, if I ever did it. 

I've analyzed the literature, and I think the mainstream clinical science and the policies built upon it, suffer from serious flaws that have gone uncorrected for decades. This is bad for the public's health, including my family's. How these flaws have eluded science's self-correcting mechanisms is a subject for the social sciences and humanities. Edlow and Weintraub have made a good start, and I'm continuing the investigation, in my own way. Maybe in my position, you would do the same. 

Now, let's return to the original topic, and follow up on our mutually declared devotion to the facts. Your claim that Bransfield hasn't published his work, is incorrect. I'm sure that you'll have a negative opinion of the paper, and find the journal unacceptably infra dig, and you have a right to your opinion, as does any individual. But saying it isn't published, and was only presented at a meeting, is simply wrong. Please check your facts, before posting. 
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman