Canada: Health Research LD Luncheon Event

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
RitaA

Re: Canada: Health Research LD Luncheon Event

Post by RitaA » Sun 14 Dec 2014 22:10

ChronicLyme19 wrote:Don't worry RitaA, I didn't get the reference either. Although now I see the explanation, good joke Duncan.

RitaA, I hope things get figured out with your family with positive outcomes.
RitaA wrote: I have high hopes for "our" Professor Moriarity and other Lyme disease researchers in Canada, and really hope they get all the research funding and other support they require now and in the years to come.
Me too; good research anywhere will help all of us, not just Canadians.
Thanks, ChronicLyme19. Mum's potassium level was low -- no doubt because of her continued overuse of a diuretic at regular intervals -- and this was indeed the cause of her atrial fibrillation. Mum's potassium level was restored, and she was discharged the following morning -- as I fully expected would happen. Ironically enough, Mum's latest cardiologist sounded much more anxious than I felt during our 10-second phone conversation, but there was no time to reassure or educate her. My siblings and I have been through this so many times over the years that we can often sense when these self-inflicted overnight hospital stays are about to happen, but it does take each and every one of Mum's new doctors a bit of time to catch on to what is really happening. Then it's time for Mum to change doctors, and the fun starts all over again.

As far as my husband and other family member, we should have some answers (including a confirmed diagnosis and hopefully a treatment plan) within the next week or two. As always, I continue to hope for the best while also preparing for not-so-great news.

Now, back to the topic of this thread. I believe any type of research into Lyme disease -- regardless of where it takes place and who conducts it -- increases our knowledge about the disease. Others may argue that much of the research tells us more about the researchers (and especially those affiliated with IDSA) than it does about Lyme disease. Are some of the Lyme disease "Old Guard" stuck in a rut while others still have lots to learn? That may well be true, however this situation isn't unique to Lyme disease or any other type of medical research that I'm aware of.

Progress in any field depends on creative/innovate thinkers who have invested time, energy and (often lots of) money in becoming educated enough to understand the basic principles, review past and present research to discover what has already been done, and then to identify any outstanding issues that require further research. These things doesn't happen overnight, that's for sure -- even when researchers are doing their very best to collaborate with others in the field for the sake of helping people who are sick and/or preventing others from becoming sick in the first place.