Borrelia Microscopy

General or non-medical topics with information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
fastuno

Borrelia Microscopy

Post by fastuno » Sat 26 Dec 2015 2:50

A wonderful FaceBook page has emerged with many talents in the Borrelia microscopy arena. Many are finding what appear as spirochetes in their blood.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyMicroscope/

Worth checking out.

fastuno

Re: Borrelia Microscopy

Post by fastuno » Fri 1 Jan 2016 21:42

A microscopy thread started in 2012.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... c/1/120458

X-member

Post by X-member » Fri 1 Jan 2016 22:40

A microscopy thread in this forum, started 2012:

Information about microscopy (for the member who asked)

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=8&t=3972

WillemT

Post by WillemT » Sat 2 Jan 2016 22:00

From a second thread about microscopy in 2013" Prof Morten M.Laanes paper is out" I quote myself.
Back to the Laane Mysterud publication:

The authors state they developed “a simple method” for “easy detection of “live Borrelia spirochaete”.
They also say: “We think it might be of value and assist in the difficult diagnostic work of the disease“
and “The ease of this technique and negligible cost makes it useful for any health station provided it has an experienced microbiologist on the staff.”

Reading this I ask myself, why there is no suggestion or concrete proposal to start a controlled randomised trial, blind of course, with a control group of healthy individuals.
The authors write that the 5 blood samples they used are coming from patients with “chronic borreliosis diagnosis (confirmed with both DNA and immune techniques)”. 
In my view the inclusion should not be limited to patients with this diagnosis but also involve patients with the diagnosis “chronic lyme” based on other criteria (seronegativity, non-specific clinical criteria only etc.). Of course there must be a well documented history of their illnes.

In the discussion part the authors raise the question of the reliability of their method.

Is microscopy of any use in diagnosis? 
A substantial number of medical microbiologists and pathologists worldwide, still hold the opinion that diagnosis through microscopy of suspected Borrelia infections and chronic borreliosis is unreliable, or of no use at all [6]. Among the arguments presented are that non-helix CWD-forms, small spheres, cysts, “pearl-chain”-like structures, “round-bodies” and filament-like structures are either artifacts from microscopy techniques, protein leakage from blood-cells, fibrine-fibers, or other general changes due to decomposition. We have earlier presented extensive discussions of these problems [13], [14]. 

The results of the proposed trial could also help to end this controversy.
Up till now there has not been a relevant reaction.

X-member

Post by X-member » Sun 31 Jan 2016 8:29

I don't think that professor Laane and Mysterud are members in this forum.

WillemT

Post by WillemT » Sun 31 Jan 2016 20:37

X-member, you really make me laugh.
Undoubtedly they must have (had) the same idea themselves about setting up a trial like I suggested.
To me it is unclear why it is not carried out.

WillemT

X-member

Post by X-member » Mon 1 Feb 2016 4:56

I don't think that the easiest way to get answers from professor Laane and Mysterud is to ask them in this forum.

WillemT

Post by WillemT » Mon 1 Feb 2016 12:09

X-member your reactions are not very helpful.
I ask myself why (after 3 years) I have not read a word about validation of this “simple method” for “easy detection of live Borrelia spirochaete” in order to establish sensitivity and specificity.
Did I miss something?

X-member

Post by X-member » Mon 1 Feb 2016 12:42

Perhaps you will have to wait until the results of the Norwegian study that they do/did (?) are published, just like the rest of us?

Edit to add:

Read more about this in the thread/post below:

Prof Morten M. Laanes paper is out - detection method

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... =50#p43715

We still don't know if it was any patients that really had an (still) active borreliosis in the study, and we still don't know which PCR-tests they used.

X-member

Post by X-member » Tue 16 Feb 2016 12:58

32 of 40 chronically ill have spirochetes in their blood (blog)

https://newsaboutdisease.wordpress.com/ ... eir-blood/

If you have any questions about this do not ask me, I'm not involved at all in this.

Edit to add:

A translated quote (from the Swedish text):
"Lyme Wars" - "Chronic Borreliosis" - "Residual Symptoms" mentioned frequently
There is no patient who wants war. Anyone who is sick wants to be healthy. A stronger motivation is hardly needed. Some believe that "chronic borreliosis" also includes residual symptoms and others argue that chronic borreliosis actually only consists of few criteria that the Public Health Agency set up.
Chronic borreliosis stands for late Lyme disease (stage 3) in Sweden.