A great big little story

Here you can socialize and have fun with other board members, and talk about all sorts of topics that are not related to Lyme disease.
Spanky

A great big little story

Post by Spanky » Mon 5 Jan 2009 19:14

Happened to see this the other night on the CBS Evening News and thought I'd post a link here, as it is really worth a look, I think. (And no one watches the CBS News anymore)...

In the video, watch, in particular, for the reaction of the elephant when the dog is brought down to her.

To my experience, four-legged animals are much more emotionally sophisticated and varied than two-legged animals often give them credit for.

When I had problems walking...with low BP, also...my guy would get very agitated and bark. They are very sensitve, perceptive.

Warning, though...this is a very "cute" and sweet story...might not be suitable for older, more insensitive viewers...

================================================================================================

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/ ... shtml#ccmm

(CBS) When elephants retire, many head for the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tenn. They arrive one by one, but they tend to live out their lives two-by-two.

"Every elephant that comes here searches out someone that she then spends most all of her time with," says sanctuary co-founder Carol Buckley.

It's like having a best girlfriend, Buckley says - "Somebody they can relate to, they have something in common with."

Debbie has Ronnie. Misty can't live without Dulary.

Those are pachyderm-pachyderm pairs. But perhaps the closest friends of all are Tarra and Bella.

That would be Tarra the 8,700 pound Asian elephant. And Bella. The dog.

"This is her friend," Buckley says, scratching Bella's tummy. "Her friend just happens to be a dog and not an elephant."

"Bella knows she's not an elephant. Tarra knows she's not a dog," Buckley adds. "But that's not a problem for them."

Bella is one of more than a dozen stray dogs that have found a home at the sanctuary. Most want nothing to do with the elephants and vice versa. But not this odd couple.

"When it's time to eat they both eat together. They drink together. They sleep together. They play together," Buckley says.

Tarra and Bella have been close for years -- but no one really knew how close they were until recently. A few months ago Bella suffered a spinal cord injury. She couldn't move her legs, couldn't even wag her tail. For three weeks the dog lay motionless up in the sanctuary office.

And for three weeks the elephant held vigil: 2,700 acres to roam free, and Tarra just stood in the corner, beside a gate, right outside that sanctuary office.

"She just stood outside the balcony - just stood there and waited," says Buckley. "She was concerned about her friend."

Then one day, sanctuary co-founder Scott Blais carried Bella onto the balcony so she and Tarra could at least see each other.

"Bella's tail started wagging. And we had no choice but bring Bella down to see Tarra," Blais says.

They visited like that every day until Tarra could walk. Today, their love -- and trust -- is stronger than ever. Bella even lets Tarra pet her tummy - with the bottom of her enormous foot.

They harbor no fears, no secrets, no prejudices. Just two living creatures who somehow managed to look past their immense differences.

Take good look America. Take a good look world. Ff they can do it - what's our excuse"?

© MMIX, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/ ... shtml#ccmm

Claudia

Re: A great big little story

Post by Claudia » Mon 5 Jan 2009 19:53

Lovely.

I was given the novel "The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle" for Christmas by a fellow dog lover. I loved it, and never wanted it to end. Unfortunately I couldn't bear to put it down and read it in two days. If you love and appreciate the amazing hearts and souls of dogs, I highly recommend it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/books ... ted=1&_r=1

newlylymie

Post by newlylymie » Mon 5 Jan 2009 19:54

So sweet!

LymeEnigma

Post by LymeEnigma » Tue 6 Jan 2009 1:24

Too sweet!

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Tue 6 Jan 2009 6:09

I love Steve Hartman's stories!!!!

I saw a trailer for this bit-but had to leave and was miffed that i would miss the story..so thank you very very much for posting it. How ironic. I probably would have forgotten about it-and here it is!

Reminds me of the baby hippo and the tortoise story. Maybe I can find that one.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Tue 6 Jan 2009 6:15

The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Spanky

Post by Spanky » Tue 6 Jan 2009 7:00

"Claudia"]Lovely.

I was given the novel "The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle" for Christmas by a fellow dog lover. I loved it, and never wanted it to end. Unfortunately I couldn't bear to put it down and read it in two days. If you love and appreciate the amazing hearts and souls of dogs, I highly recommend it:
Thanks.

I was lucky enough to be in the company of what I consider to have been true English Springer Spaniel greatness...for over 17 years (a normal life span would be more in the 12-14 year range). I wasn't the only one who thought so. He was remarkable.

When he was 15 or so, he did the splits and strained an anterior cruciate ligament, so I would help him up the stairs by following a lending a little boost where needed...and we lived in a big old Victorian with lots of stairs.

But I was having lots of problems then and was even blacking out momentarily.

One night we are going up the steps to go to bed and I got to the landing after the first flight...I got woozy and just went down...collapsed. And I guess I laid there awhile.

Somehow, he went on to the top and was barking furiously at me...and then he went into the next room...and I swear, came back with one of his tug-of-war toys and dropped it at me. Couldn't have been any clearer..."get up, get up". He wanted to get me to play...to get up...

Absolutely amazing. When I got to the top I had to grab him and hold him to get him to calm down.

And I suppose, if you hadn't been there...a skeptic would say that I was just "projecting" human emotions onto him.

I told the vet about it and asked him, "do you think he really did what I think he did"? And the vet just nodded and said, "some people wouldn't believe that, you know".

Helluva guy.

Spanky

Post by Spanky » Tue 6 Jan 2009 7:46

"Ms Kimoti said that if the 300kg hippo continued to thrive then in the next few weeks they would allow the public to see the unlikely pair together before they are separated".

Okay...now that one is just a little weird, in my opinion...

Not a particularly attractive couple.

Can you imagine the offspring?

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Tue 6 Jan 2009 15:11

Sir Real,

The story about your spaniel doesn't surprise me one bit. He sounds like a real gem.

My previous dog was a mix of English Springer Spaniel (black and white) and American Eskimo dog (he was gorgeous, looked just like a gigantic Papillon). He's been gone over a year and a half now and I have filled the huge hole in my heart and void in the house with a lovely new dog that I think is a black Labrador Retriever and Border Collie or Pointer mix, but I still find myself grieving over my loss of him.

As hard as it is to lose them, I can't imagine not having one in my life.

Spanky

Post by Spanky » Wed 7 Jan 2009 2:47

Claudia: My previous dog was a mix of English Springer Spaniel (black and white)...
So was mine...that is, that was his coloring. His mother was liver and white. His breeder thought he might be show material...when he was a pup. He grew and grew. 70 lbs worth. Big for a springer. And not fat.

But a handsome guy...and he knew it, too.

That explains it...they must have been distant relatives.

"... but I still find myself grieving over my loss of him.

As hard as it is to lose them, I can't imagine not having one in my life".
I know. My sis says that I should have another because I am such a good 'dogfather'...that a dog would be really lucky to have me care for him.

And that's nice...but it's a big commitment, physically and emotionally. And I don't know if I ready for either, still. Although I am much better now, I still have some rough patches.

It became very difficult at times, especially when he was old, for me to give him the care he needed and deserved. I had to carry him often and was falling, myself. It was a struggle.

I don't think that I am up to it, yet.

Maybe someday.