The big YouTube videos topic

Here you can socialize and have fun with other board members, and talk about all sorts of topics that are not related to Lyme disease.
Spanky

Re: The big YouTube videos topic

Post by Spanky » Wed 17 Oct 2012 18:09

In response to some off-board inquiries about my "real" identity... a home video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE1oYiU-MXM

As I have said, before, I am a "dog person".

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Thu 18 Oct 2012 0:50

The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Fri 19 Oct 2012 4:19

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Thu 25 Oct 2012 7:48

For Real. I don't know- maybe this caller has Lyme Disease :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMz ... r_embedded
Martha Washington

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Thu 25 Oct 2012 14:51

Cobwebby wrote:For Real. I don't know- maybe this caller has Lyme Disease :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMz ... r_embedded
Lesson: It's important to always bear in mind that correlation does not imply causation: http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... f=8&t=2037

:lol:

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Fri 26 Oct 2012 15:40

Here's the follow-up interview:
If you want to hear the rest of the story -- her follow up interview can be found at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1yEcdomt0
I like the way she handles it - with a kind of natural dignity. It's interesting that she's more hurt by the ridicule of her community, than the internet.

The bullying from some of her neighbors is disgraceful. I suppose none of them have ever harbored a foolish idea? By participating in humiliating her, they've committed themselves to a contemptuous worldview that will keep them from recognizing, and correcting, their own inevitable errors in perception. Maybe some of the children, at least, will outgrow it.
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Fri 26 Oct 2012 22:36

Lorima,

People -- young and old -- can be insensitive, and even cruel, at times.

I listened to the radio interview soon after it was posted, and wondered myself if it was for real or a hoax of some kind. My sense was that this woman truly didn't understand the intention of deer crossing signs.

Donna has been publicly humiliated in a way that wasn't possible prior to the internet, and I feel bad for her. She wasn't breaking any laws or harming anyone by her mistaken belief, so why couldn't someone (anyone) just diplomatically explain to her that deer crossing signs are for the benefit of human beings rather than deer -- and then move on.

As human beings, we all make mistakes and can't be expected to know things until we learn them in one way or another. No one person can possibly know everything there is to know in life. Donna simply didn't understand the nature of deer crossing signs until recently. Not exactly the crime of the century, in my books.

I applaud Donna's grace under difficult circumstances -- and especially her apparent willingness to forgive everyone who has behaved in less-than-admirable ways. It's one thing for complete strangers to find this funny, but when people in her community -- and especially children in her neighbourhood -- are going out of their way to mock and humiliate her, that's simply not okay. For starters, the radio station owes Donna an apology for making her "famous".

Thanks very much for posting this follow-up interview, Lorima. I think there's an important lesson/reminder in this -- something akin to doing our best to treat people the way we would ourselves like to be treated.

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Sat 27 Oct 2012 19:47

It reminded me of the exact kind of cognitive confusion I experienced with my LD, so I can relate.
Martha Washington

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Sat 27 Oct 2012 20:32

Me too, Cobwebby, and I still get easily confused at times.

Thankfully the whole world doesn't get alerted via the internet when this happens to me. Dealing with my husband's teasing is bad enough.

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Sat 27 Oct 2012 20:46

RitaA wrote:Me too, Cobwebby, and I still get easily confused at times.

Thankfully the whole world doesn't get alerted via the internet when this happens to me. Dealing with my husband's teasing is bad enough.
Interesting that you should say that- it's my family that scoffed at me the most. SIGH I eventually learned to laugh at myself.
Martha Washington