Hero Dog

Here you can socialize and have fun with other board members, and talk about all sorts of topics that are not related to Lyme disease.
Cobwebby

Hero Dog

Post by Cobwebby » Wed 11 Aug 2010 18:47

updated 8/9/2010 5:11:10 PM ET

YAMHILL, Ore. — A small dog who refused to return home until a neighbor followed her helped rescue her owner after he collapsed at home following heart surgery. Charles Mitchell said he was working in his yard last week in the Oregon wine country town of Yamhill when an 11-year-old dachshund named Missy scampered up and refused to leave.

Mitchell told the dog to go home, but she refused, and when he decided to follow her across the street to investigate, he found his neighbor, Charlie Burdon, had collapsed inside his home.

The police chief arrived with paramedics, Burdon was taken to the hospital. Burdon suffered an attack of vertigo and is recovering.

But Burdon and Mitchell, who have known each other for years, both said Missy is their hero.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Cobwebby

Re: Hero Dog

Post by Cobwebby » Wed 11 Aug 2010 18:56

The reason I posted this is because it reminds me so much of a similar experience I had in my life.

My little dog , Ash-rescued from a dreadful situation was loving her new life with us.
One afternoon I heard her barking and barking and barking. I tried to call her in so she would not bother the neighbors. But she refused, stood her ground by the fence, and continued to bark.

I finally gave up and went out into the yard to see what all the fuss was about- and there I saw my elderly neighbor , Leo lying on the ground in his yard. I quickly called his wife who went out and found him.
He has diabetes-and I think something about the yard work had effected his blood sugar. Anyway- he recovered well enough and I gave Ash an extra treat that day.
Happy ending for all.

In some respects I credit Ash with saving my life- emotionally. As I mentioned, she was a rescue dog- and I only expected to keep her temporarily until the Rat Terrier Rescue society could come up with a plan to transport her to a knew home.
After this event with Leo-I decided to keep her and she has been my constant companion throughout all the traumas of the past few years.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

Yvonne

Post by Yvonne » Wed 11 Aug 2010 19:18

I think it's really special that dogs do that.

Our dogs and cats are also very important to us.

And we often had their support during hard times.

We had to have terrible cry when we lost some of them
Listen to all,
plucking a feather from every passing goose,
but follow no one absolutely

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Wed 11 Aug 2010 19:37

Some of the finest individuals that I have had the honor of knowing have been the animals in my life.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Wed 11 Aug 2010 19:55

This was all over the news here in the US when it happened. The video is from the police car dashcam:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... -help.html
How a frantic pet dog led police to his family's burning home after owner told him: 'Buddy, go get help!'

rlstanley

Post by rlstanley » Wed 11 Aug 2010 22:54

Here's the local video of the hero dog Missy! Saw it last night, and Missy reminded me of one of my childhood doggies (named Frisky).

http://www.kval.com/news/100281964.html?tab=video

Missy got a reward after her heroic efforts; see the film clip to find out what it was.
CW:
In some respects I credit Ash with saving my life- emotionally.
I would agree on that one. When you are sick and people don't want to have much to do with you, or they get impatient with you for not getting better on some arbitrary schedule, animals don't bother with that stuff. They take it as it comes & seem to understand physical and emotional downtime. I can't imagine my life without the gift of wonderful critters--and there have been many. They have given me more in peace, non-judgemental companionship, or just plain old joy watching their antics than I could imagine.

Here's a news story where a kitty saves dachshund pups. (15 second commercial leads in)
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/apr/30/ ... -vi-14458/

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
--Alfred A. Montapert